Sex Education

NYC8"

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sex ed in school was, I'd say, 80% menstruation, 10% diseases, and 10% drugs.

Pretty much utterly nothing that would help a healthy kid figure out what their urges or their bodies were actually about.

Seriously.... I cannot accept it would have been helpful even for the girls in class to really be able to retrace the "corpus luteum phase," blah blah blah. Does getting quizzed on the plumbing names really do any good for anybody? I can't think of the last time I've had to give any consideration to my Cowper's gland, and I somehow highly doubt that the girls in class felt their stresses alleviated by learning how follicles worked.

When it came to the emotional drive for sex, the rewards of it, the mechanics of it, and the responsibilities needed for it, they didn't give us shit.

The teacher seemed almost perverted in her love for the gory details of STDs, too. I'll never forget the time that she quizzed the guys on which of us had been the first to grow hair on our legs. One guy, early developer and rather cocky, raised his hand. Teacher then said--in front of the whole class--that it was now just so much more likely that he would get some kind of male cancer, probably testicular.

As for my parents, they gave me one of those "How Your Body Works" pop-up books when I was about 8. All full of cross-section internal images with the different colors and the 100% inhuman appearance. Remember in "The Wonder Years" when the gym coach taught about the female reproductive system by drawing the fucking UTERUS AND OVARIES, and the boys thought it was a cow's head? Kind of like that.

Nothing about feelings. Nothing about actually interacting with another live human being to have sex. Nothing a teenager would actually physically see or experience, at all, unless they shrunk down "Fantastic Voyage"-like and watched the precious corpus luteum phase.

AMikkell

Just Browsing
Media
I don't recall any set talk about sex. Sex ed was taught in a general health class, and wasn't that bad, but I don't remember learning anything from it. I guess I learned about sex the old fashioned way, from friends, television, and the internet.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I didn't have any sex education in school. The girsl in fifth grade had a meeting about menstration. We boys were sent to the playground to play. My father wouldn't discuss it. So my mother told me the basics and then my older brother told me about masturbation.

I taught sixth grade and taught the boys sex ed. I got a male registered nurse to come to the school. I had every boy write down their questions and put them in a box anad I pulled thim out one at a time and answered them. When one question wanted to know how gays did it. I told them.

We did have the basics first. The film strip cartoon style of course. The boys like the question and answer part the best. I would use the correct terms and then I would tell them the slang terms. I todl them in polite company is was the penis. Around each other it was a dick. etc. same for vagina and pussy. Cock is used in our area to be either male or female.

I never had any problems. And I tried to use sentences like this; If a man and a woman decide to have sex, but don't want children they use birth control. There are the types.

I did tell them that sex is an adult activity. That people should be responsible people capable of raising a child should a pregnancy happen before they have sex. In my state the age of consent is 16. Legally here, sex for 15 year old and below is against the law. I told them that too.

I used terms like If you are going to ride a motorcycle you wear your helmet. I told them a penis doesn't know the difference between a vagina, anus, mouth, or hand. It is in the mind were erotic feeling begin. We covered wet dreams.

My comment on masturbation was that there was nothing wrong with it. The only danger is that a person become enough self centered in sex that they didn't desire a sexual relationship. But there's nothgin wrong with solo sex either.

I did my best to use a little humor. Not blink an eye and dodge a questoin or a subject.

But then again. I loved teaching period. I still miss teaching.

jda365

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I guess I was pretty lucky. I went to private schools my whole life, and was very well educated about sex and everything that went along with it. When I was in fourth grade, I went to a very good school where the student population was literally 99% black because it was located in one of the poorer parts of town. Because there was, and continues to be, a comparatively high incidence of teenage (and even younger) sexual activity in poor urban neighborhoods, the school decided to give a one week seminar to the fourth grade class (the school only went up through the fourth grade at the time) discussing sexual health and resposibility. When I think back on it, it surprises me how in-depth they actually went and the fact that there was nothing they weren't willing to discuss with us.

I started at another school in fifth grade (a very good, well-known all boys school down here), and part of the science curriculum that year is a full month of sex-ed. We were taught about everything. The anatomy and physiology of sex and arousal for both guys and girls. We weren't force-fed the whole sex is only for reproduction mantra, nor were we told you had to be married to have it. And, most importantly to me, they actually discussed the fact that straight people aren't the only ones who have sex. It was actually a very practical and straightforward approach, and we were never made to feel embarrassed about anything. They told us that there was nothing wrong with masturbation, nor with having sex purely for pleasure (as long as you were safe). Or if you wanted, you could choose not to have sex at all. And there was a big exam at the end to make sure we actually paid attention, lol.

The did the same thing in sixth grade, when the science curriculum was specific to biology. And then again, with a more scientific and technical approach in my freshman year of high school in biology. So, unlike most kids in America, I think I received a great education with regard to sex that prepared me for life in bed...and on the couch...and on the floor...and on the kitchen table...and in the shower, etc...:biggrin1:

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I had a great sex ed experience. I lived in a small town, and we had this teacher who was about 50, short curly grey hair, and slightly obese. She used to do examples, show videos and used to stick a condom on her arm and stretch it out and then make comments about how "unless ur penis is the size of a water mellon, u can fit into these condoms. I actually learned alot, but we only touched on alternative lifestyles (homosexuality, bisexuality, fetish, etc)

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Freddie53 said:
But then again. I loved teaching period. I still miss teaching.

You're students were really lucky to have an open honest teacher like you. The world would be a better place if all teachers cared about their students like that.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In 5th grade they split the boys and girls up and we had a short sex ed class with one of the teachers. A couple of the students were excluded because their parents didn't sign a consent form. He had us write any questions we had and put them in a box for the him to answer. I guess he said a few words before the questions or we watched a film or something. All the boys just kept joking around. It was really stupid. I remember writing a question asking what it felt like, and the teacher read the question and answered, "really good" joking around and all the boys laughed. It was just really stupid.

I don't really remember any sex education after that until health class in 10th grade, but there must have been some. I do remember in health class in 10th grade they showed us some movies about STD's and sex. The basic theme was that you should wait until you are ready and meet the right person. I guess since I don't remember too much the sex education wasn't very good. (But I did remember the calculus and physics.)

My parents told me zero about sex. Totally pathetic. I don't really know what they even knew about sex. And watching television wasn't the healthiest way to learn about sex either. It wasn't until the internet that I was able to read more about sex and learn things that I never knew about sex. I'm still learning. :smile:

Zer

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I remember having really boring sex ed class in 5th grade, where they really didn't teach much except that having sex before you are married will kill you and such. I'm sure there was more, but I don't remember. Everything I know is basically self taught... with help from the internet. :p I'm not screwed up! I swear!

Anyway, I had another sex ed class in high school my Sophomore year and it was basically all about how every man alive wants to hurt and rape women, which pissed me off to no end. That is basically all that was taught for a week, and it didn't help that the teacher was this sexist old man who thought guys were the scum of the Earth. Seemed like a bit of an odd view of the world, but oh well.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I never got sex ed... in grade 12 my religion teacher educated us on the rhythm method... woo hoo. The religion class next door got a registered nurse to come in and talk to them. She said it was not in her schedule.
I was already researching the male brain and reactions to sexual arousal by that point. But... I still don't know how to put a condom on properly...

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Living on a farm, I had the gist of it down pretty well. Parents gave me "the talk", but never explained what an orgasm was or what it felt like, or when you would know when it happens. So I didn't know.

In school, we had the sex ed class and a teacher who was way cool and extremely difficult to embarrass. We managed to do it, though. Our class was co-ed, so there was a lot of whooping and hollering as everyone either pointed out or noticed things about others as they were being explained. It was a hoot!!! He explained everything except the orgasm part. (what it felt like/when you'd know it happened.) Still I didn't know. I got everything else.

So now I'm 14, and my girlfriend jumps me. It was the first time for both of us. She has her orgasm first, (which was amazing considering the really rough start we had) and I just thought she was really getting into this. When my orgasm hit, I didn't know WHAT happened. :eek: As soon as it was over, I thought I was "broke", and that I needed to go see a doctor. My best friend was in the house, so I ran to him, still naked, and told him what happened. He just busted up laughing and told me that's what is supposed to happen. :tongue:

Who knew? :rolleyes: