Sex life = over

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As such I lead an unfulfilled life. And the sad reality is that, ultimately, I have no control over that fulfillment.

I could try to figure out why it is that I so greatly desire sex, I suppose, but it seems quite obvious to me: I'm a 30-ish-y.o. male.

A better focus might be your current outlook. You have total control over how you walk through your life journey, how you respond to adversity and success, etc.

If you continue to have the mindset that you have no control over your own everyday existence, you will always feel like a victim.

When I masturbate, I am not settling. I am choosing to bring pleasure to myself because *I* want to. Not because there is no one who would choose to have sex with me.

You have to reframe. The power of positive thought is amazing.

Well, I know what your problem generally is. Your current attitude. You lack passion and enthusiasm for life. Whatever happened in your life has robbed you of your "espirit de coeur" (your spirit of the heart.). And you also lack the means of stepping outside of yourself to look at how others may perceive you. They may feel that you are a downer. And downers are emotional vampires. People tend to not want downers in their relationships.

THIS PIECE OF ADVICE IS FOR ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO FEELS A BIT DOWN ABOUT THEIR LIFE: You have a responsibility to regain, rebuild and maintain your passion and enthusiasm---BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. No one else is going to give you passion and enthusiasm. You have to get it and maintain it for yourself. And if you feel that life is getting you down. Remove those things that are causing you emotional drainage. Assess and cultivate. Metaphorically-- clean your house. Refurnish. Add on. Knock down.

What he said. Great post, Invisi!

There is indeed beauty in the world. Look for it. Seek and you shall find.

Instead of focusing on what you can't have...focus on things that you can have. Be content. Also, be hopeful yet never expecting. You never know who may want to jump start your sex life...but you also have to keep your wits about you.

Yup. As The Secret tells us, the universe does not understand DON'T and NOT. If you focus on it, the universe brings it to you. Focus only on what you DO want what you deeply desire and watch it appear for you. Focus on what you DON'T want and continue to experience life in the negative. Re-frame and re-focus and watch amazing changes happen for you.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
because not everyone gets their enjoyment that way?
people get their kicks in different ways.

The guy was claiming that he DIDN'T get kicks from ANYTHING but sex...

But he failed to list anything creative as something he has tried...

I find creative pursuits to be the most satisfactory and enjoyable.

Corius

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If what one concentrates on is sex and sex only, one sets oneself up for depression. Think of the happiness of children in a loving family, they rest easy at night because they have the gift of accepting life's boons and grasping them.

IMHO, too many folks miss the beauty and mystery of sex because they only concentrate on the animal sensations which are just a part of it. But, if one has learned to be a friend to other, male or female, one finds that friendship is returned. Sometimes two may become so bonded in friendship that they seek ways to show their affection. The sex that happens under such circumstances has a way of coming naturally and seems so right because it confirms what they have already tasted in the bond that has come to exist between them. That is how it has happened for me.

I have/have had many friends, but not all of these precious friendships have ever reached the point of becoming sexual. Those that have have come to an end (except for my happy marriage) and I note with great satisfaction that though sex with my ex-partners is past history the love which we have for each other has never ended.

Sex can be a beautiful part of living, but it is not all of living, a love which brings sex to its most beautiful flower is such that it can outlast even sex's brightest flowering.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The guy was claiming that he DIDN'T get kicks from ANYTHING but sex...

But he failed to list anything creative as something he has tried...

I find creative pursuits to be the most satisfactory and enjoyable.
i find painting most satisfying.
but not everyone creates. some consume.
their enjoyment is as valid as ours.
i suppose he might be happier creating but it's wrong to assume he/everyone is just because you are.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Dolf... it was a suggestion... not a command.

I don't think its wrong to suggest that someone who seems to get no enjoyment out of life try something they never have tried before.

If you enter all the contests you're bound to win one..

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
First, I wanted to say that I appreciate all the words of support and concern from all of you. That's part of what make this such a great community.

I feel that maybe this thread has gotten a little side-tracked here in that I'm not so much interested in discussing my mental state of being or depression, even as the case may be (and yeah, I'm sure that's somewhat tainted the way I've come across in this thread -- I can't help but respond through the color of my own lens).

But really, and I'll repeat that I don't expect it to be fully understood, I was mainly curious: what you would do if you knew your sex life is over? Could you accept it? Could you live a life of self-indulgence? (Those're easier said than done, I think. . .)

Well, I know what your problem generally is. Your current attitude. You lack passion and enthusiasm for life. Whatever happened in your life has robbed you of your "espirit de coeur" (your spirit of the heart.). And you also lack the means of stepping outside of yourself to look at how others may perceive you. They may feel that you are a downer. And downers are emotional vampires. People tend to not want downers in their relationships.
I'd be the first one to tell you that I lack passion, but I'm quite aware that I'm not well liked; I've said as much, openly. I can't say that this bothers me. I'm quite content to not spend time with people who don't like me (probably doing things I don't like anyways). But this leads to the inevitable reality of a loner's life and leads me to my line of questioning. . .

As to the rest of your post, I want to thank you for your insight and I hope that it does help someone if they are genuinely depressed.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Sex & orgasms release dopamine in your brain. Dopamine is linked to motivation and desire. I think if you don't have sex, then after a while you will get depressed and start feeling like you do, _avg_.
True. Bit of a harsh Catch 22, isn't it? :wink:

But really, and I'll repeat that I don't expect it to be fully understood, the question is what do you do if you know your sex life is over?

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Let's say you knew you would never have sex again. What then?

A noble life?

Carry on?

Suicide?

Discuss.

NOT suicide. masturbate. therapy. self esteem is key to EVERYTHING in life.
go bi perhaps. but carry on. especially when gifted with a great cock such as yours.

but there's other stuff that's great. whitewater rafting gets me going. there are
extreme sports that might give you a rush without going the drug / self-destruction route.
friendships count for a lot too with me, someone to talk to who will listen.

and stay away from too much negative stuff, including negative "friends", it's like a vortex that can suck you in. few things are as attractive as a big smile. people will gravitate to you. it's really true.

Last edited:

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Try scrabble; it takes your mind off everything for a while. Or poker (not poke her). I wonder if mine is over, too, though I still masturbate. Sorry for my lack of real insight. How do you know it is over? Your posts say "no", but your pics say "yes".

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Interesting that the only things you list are the passive, sit on your ass while others do it for your pastimes.

How about PLAYING music, or composing it?
Call it a partial list. :wink:

I did mention the outdoors; I enjoy getting away from people as often as I can, but too often find it's not far enough while (paradoxically) wishing I had someone to share the isolation with.

And I am, in fact, a bass player. Been in 3-4 bands. Recorded, mixed and released 3 full-length CDs. Wrote about a dozen songs. Designed and produced the artworks, pretty much myself.

And it's all a big, self-indulgent, time-wasting disappointment. Poorly received, at that. Oh, I like it; but hauling your shit to and *paying* a place for letting you put your craft on display to be met with sporadic applause by the few patrons who paid enough attention to notice the noise had died down now and that it was polite to clap at that point, became a draining and pointless endeavor after a few years. But I persevere anyways and, like most things that make me (and only me) a little bit happy, I keep it mostly to myself.

Unhappy with literature? Try writing some...
Don't like television or movies? DO something about making them better...

Get off your ass and DO something with your time...
I'm smart enough to recognize my strengths and weaknesses, and writing decent anything is not one of them.

I know my place; and, for the purpose of this discussion (at least), it is to be alone. I was interested in hearing from others in my place, if only hypothetically. (I guess)

Last edited:

RamIt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It doesnt sound like you need to change your hobbies so much as you need to change your mindset to allow yourself to enjoy what sounds like a life lots of people would be pleased to lead.

Having said that, working with firearms tends to awaken the soul and evoke passion and excitement almost universally. Marksmanship is a very demanding form of art, and is a lot more thrilling than painting. Guns are fun and exciting, and a great way to build confidence.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

THIS PIECE OF ADVICE IS FOR ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO FEELS A BIT DOWN ABOUT THEIR LIFE: You have a responsibility to regain, rebuild and maintain your passion and enthusiasm---BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. No one else is going to give you passion and enthusiasm. You have to get it and maintain it for yourself. And if you feel that life is getting you down. Remove those things that are causing you emotional drainage. Assess and cultivate. Metaphorically-- clean your house. Refurnish. Add on. Knock down.

You can have a sex life. You may not be able to have sex with everyone you want and see. I sure don't. I am not having sex with anybody. But I really do have a wonderful fantasy life that compensates for what I am lacking in the real world.

I agree that there are some really shitty movies, music and other entertainment diversions out there...but there are some really good movies, music, and etcetera out there. There is indeed beauty in the world. Look for it. Seek and you shall find.

Instead of focusing on what you can't have...focus on things that you can have. Be content. Also, be hopeful yet never expecting. You never know who may want to jump start your sex life...but you also have to keep your wits about you.

I was thinking this too. I'm often said to be depressed, yet I have a zest for life and like a great many things! As for movies/music/TV, I'll agree that most of what is on TV is not to my taste but there are a few shows I like. Besides, not being much on TV gets me out of the house more and actually DOING stuff! I rarely go to movies (more for financial reasons than that I don't like them - there are actually quite a few movies that I like), and music, I find that I usually like the indie music that is played on college radio better than most of what is played on commercial radio (although I do find myself liking some of what is on commercial radio too, just depends on the song). I also like active things like walking/hiking, playing volleyball (badly! :biggrin1:), and generally working out.

I was with you until the last sentence. I've been treated for depression and anxiety with various drugs off and on for the last 10 years. Most have worked to some degree. Years ago at the deepest darkest pit of my depression the thing that made me want to sing out loud, open the draperies, and walk in the sun was having mind blowing sex.

But they say exercise works better than all the antidepressant drugs.

I'm convinced the only people who say that are those who have never suffered from major depression. Some of us need the drugs to get off the sofa or out of bed. So telling me I will feel better if I just walk around the block, when I haven't showered in a week is pointless. I need the chemical stimulant (PILLS) to get the shower, brush my teeth, hair, put on clean clothes, and get out of the house.

Actually for me, exercise really DOES work better than antidepressant drugs (which only make me so sleepy that I'm unable to function - I mean, I can't even have a job if I'm taking them! :eek: I will literally sleep 20 hours a day!) All the times I've had periods of depression, I've gotten out of it through exercise. I got through high school by dancing actively a lot (in private - I don't do dances with specific steps). I had a depression in my mid-twenties that I got out of by taking karate lessons. And in my early thirties I had one that I got out of by becoming a competitive speed walker. I've recently had one due to financial problems, and would like to exercise more but have found that the financial problems keep me from doing that! I don't really like exercising alone, although I do like to work out. I like going with a group or taking classes at the gym - or even just getting on the treadmill or rowing machine (I really like the rowing machine!) at the gym with people around - especially this one gym I had a free pass to last week that has all these TVs in the room where the treadmills, stairmasters, rowing machines, elliptical machines, etc. are, and one of them is the gym's own channel playing pump-you-up music the whole time! :smile: I really enjoyed that. The other problem is that the free groups I've found have people in them who are in WAAAAAY better shape than I am and for instance in the hiking groups they'd be a lot faster than me and leave me in the dust! (I'm out of shape these days due in part to some illnesses that I had, then having job/financial stress just after recovering from the illnesses!)

However, I do agree that antidepressants work for SOME people, and maybe they need them to get out there and do anything (exercise or anything else). We're all different. For me, exercise works better. For others, the antidepressants may work better.

As for the question... what would I do if I could never have sex again? It would really depend on whether I still had a libido or not. If I couldn't have sex again but also had no mental or physical libido, I probably wouldn't care all that much, and I'd just do other things. But if I couldn't have sex again and retained my current libido, I'd be miserable! I guess I'd just take matters into my own hands (with some help from things that go buzz in the night) if that happened!

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
True. Bit of a harsh Catch 22, isn't it? :wink:

But really, and I'll repeat that I don't expect it to be fully understood, the question is what do you do if you know your sex life is over?
I would say I'd try to improve myself, become more successful and all that good stuff. Basically, I'd do all the things that I'd think would make me more desirable for romantic partners. But I think that would make me depressed to know that I can't have sex again. So on the other hand, I might just say "what's the point?" and not want to do anything.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
But I think that would make me depressed to know that I can't have sex again. So on the other hand, I might just say "what's the point?" and not want to do anything.
It's a goddamn miserable existence, I tell you.

There really is no point in carrying on.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Let's say you knew you would never have sex again. What then?

A noble life?

Carry on?

Suicide?

Discuss.

Castration of some sorts ? om!!!

Oh my..people it just came to my mind that amputees having no hands must learn to adapt and etc..

This thread is making me so sad..and thinking about many circunstances people go throu in life...so depressing!

Hope many lose not hope..even when situation seems without it.

:frown1:

sxjTheFirst

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well if hypothetically that did happen I think after a while I will come to accept it. It's how I have reacted to other bad shit that had happened so far after an angsty period of denial, anger, suicidal thoughts etc etc I finally accept it. I guess I wouldn't handle this very differently.