Sex Restrictions in Catholicism

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Sassy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Sassy

Sassy Member

Can someone explain what sexual restrictions there are in Christian Catholicism? A divorced female friend of mine was dating a Catholic guy who was okay with having oral sex with her (giving and receiving), because they were not married, but not vaginal penetration.

He talked about vaginal penetration being a connection of the souls but not oral sex. (He was okay with anal as well, but that was not her thing.)

Is this covered in a rule book somewhere? I know that a lot of married people (celebrities and others) don't think of oral sex as "real" sex (and so will do it extra-maritally) and not consider it adultery.:confused:

Can someone please explain this distinction? I've heard of this in other religions, but mostly in Catholicism.

2. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

....hmmm Catholic and okay with anal...it's a crazy, mixed up world. Does he consider himself orthodox or was he just raised Catholic and is now an apostate or was he excommunicated?

3. Sassy

Sassy Member

I have no idea (they're no longer together). I ran into her today, and we got to talking, and I was curious about this whole distinction since I've heard this from others as well.

I heard on some program years ago that prostitutes say that oral sex is the most requested act because the guys were not getting it at home. Would that be sufficient reason to commit adultery? Is saying that oral sex is not really sex just an excuse for indulging in adultery?

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

If you are going to follow true Catholicism sex before marriage is prohibited, all and any sexual act. Some teen girls will do anal and oral to preserve their vaginal virginity.

5. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

I don't think there's any excuse for adultery... and unfortunately can't compare blowjobs to handshakes. Although God knows a lot more people are doing just that.
    But i also struggle to condemn people for acts of infidelity (to a point) as i have several friends who were unfaithful to their partners and felt pretty shitty afterwards... their guilt is 'penance' enough.
    Unfortunately, people not getting their sexual kicks from their partners at home may sometimes stray... and i'd have an easier time forgiving them if if it was purely physical with no emotional connection, but how does one really know?
    Again, a lot of the problems many of us have, could all be easily solved with honest and open communication. I hope your friend is okay and moving on though.

6. Sassy

Sassy Member

I know of this, personally. :wink: But why would a man want to do this, and cite religion as the reason? One who has already been sexually active in previous relationships? (Other than for pregnancy concerns?)

Thanks for your comment - she is.:smile:

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

This is probably some fucked up shit he has worked out for himself.

Technicalities like 'was it up the cunt or the ass, my son' just don't enter into it. Besides, sodomy is completely out if you're going by what the bible says, regardless of the sex of the receiver.

Your friend's bf was a weirdo.

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

He feels guilty and is trying to find a loophole.

9. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

This.

Also, any sexual act which does not have the possibility of procreation (fornication in other words) is strictly prohibited for devout Roman Catholics. That means unless it's between a woman and a man, and it involves vaginal penetration without any form of birth control then a devout RC is not supposed to engage in it, anything else is committing a mortal sin for which they must seek absolution from their confessor after doing approriate penance. Strictly speaking without having recieved this absolution through confession and penance a devout RC is not supposed to take Holy Communion or any other sacrament, including the last rites, which would put them in danger of dying without the necessary piety to go to Heaven, imperilling their soul's enternal salvation. This is why RC priests often give confession to those near to death, so they can recieve the last rites and die in a state of grace.

So strict is this rule about fornication that even if the man withdraws at the point of ejaculation to prevent the woman from becoming impregnated he and she have committed a mortal sin.

#9 D_Tim McGnaw, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  10. zpacifico

zpacifico New Member

well if one would play by the book, in Catholicism one should not endorse ANY sexual activities unless married and if so ONLY for the purpose of reproduction.
    who the fuck lives these days like that?

11. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

No - you know fuck all, so why are you commenting?

The interdiction is in actively trying to prevent pregnancy - having sex for fun or intimacy between a couple is fine. In fact, anyone who knows anything at all will know that the Catholic Church condones the use of the rhythm method (having sex at the non-peak fertility times of month). Which I have always found odd as that is actively trying to prevent pregnancy too - it's just not a very good method.

I could go on for pages about the Church's post Vatican II tendency to advise members of the faith to exercise their own moral authority on matters like contraception. But instead I think I'll just leave the thread before it degenerates in to the usual Catholic bashing exercise and recommend you read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism (O'Gorman, O'Gorman, Faulkner) (linkage).

12. erratic

Gold Member

Well, seeing as the Catholic Church does not recognize divorce they're both engaged in adultery and are going to rot in Hell for all of infinity. Because that's what a loving God is all about. (I think you may be able to tell that I'm not a Catholic any more.) But yeah, them's the rules.

Frankly, they can have any kind of filthy sodomy they want. They're already hell-bound. Any hang-ups he has are his own, not the Church's.

Yes. In fact, any such sex act is considered sodomy (a la Sodom and Gomorrah) and is a sin. Unless you're a priest, in which case the Church will hide you from prosecution and put you up in a nice retirement...sorry. I got on my soapbox again.

Frankly, the Catholic Church's rules on sex and sexuality are so nonsensical and convoluted you'll feel like you're lost in some wannabe author's Kafka ripoff first "novel." I urge you not to even bother trying to figure it out. To wit: Nocturnal emissions were a sin until just a few years ago. Yes, one of the human body's natural reflexes was a ticket to hell until the Church decided against it a few years ago. So, except for eunuchs, every man has been hellbound since whenever the Church "decided" wet dreams were a "sin". Only I guess they're let out of Hell now because the Church changed its mind.

13. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

Erratic for canonisation. Whoo hoo!!!
    LOL!

14. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

do you know what catholics who practice the rhythm method of birth control (only kind permitted) are called?

parents!

15. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

Fucking hilarious:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:
    and so true:wink:

16. D_Tim McGnaw

Oh yes you can have sex for fun and intimacy so long as you're married (not divorced and remarried though, that's a no no) but as you say the sex must be open to the possibility of procreation, since the rhythm method isn't a reliable form of contraception and there remains a theoretical or slim possibility of procreation while using it it's acceptable but oral sex or anal or things of that nature are fornication and sin. I'm not bashing Catholics though, they're hardly the only faith with odd attitudes towards sex and for that matter plenty of godless types have odd attitudes about it too.

17. D_Tim McGnaw

No infact it's not all considered sodomy, sodomy in RC terms refers to anal sex. As I said, it's considered fornication, which is part of the sin of lust.

#17 D_Tim McGnaw, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  18. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you believe some archaic bunch of kiddie-fiddlers have any business telling mature adults how they should go about enjoying their bodies, then you're too fucking stupid to be reproducing.

19. NEWREBA

NEWREBA New Member

Albums:
    HazelGod, I think I'm in love with you! Wonderful comment! :biggrin1:

20. superbot

Gold Member

God forbid anyone should accuse you of making WHOPPING generalizations.I'd be offended if you weren't so THICK!!

Draft saved Draft deleted