Sexaulity of Will Smith and Denzel Washington

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
A while ago I was in Hollywood, and a guy who claimed to have "inside" information said that it's an open secret in Hollywood that Will Smith and Denzel Washington are bisexual. (I think this list even included Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes. But I don't really care about them.) I had doubted this, because, you know, there are basically rumors about every male actor.

But, come to think of it, I had always noticed a flamboyance in Will Smith, and I always thought it was interesting that his first major film role was as a gay man in Six Degrees of Separation. AND he mentioned in an interview that he turned to Denzel Washington for advice on that film.

And then it occurred to me ... it was interesting that Denzel chose a role in Philadelphia. Both movies were made during a time period when it was still quite taboo to talk about, or deal with, the topic of homosexuality.

Philadelphia (1993) - IMDb

Six Degrees of Separation (1993) - IMDb

So, anyway, my question is: Does anyone here have anything to add to this? I know people in Hollywood read this forum. Is this just gossip, or what? I don't know.... if anyone has anything to add, it would be interesting. For some reason, I'm fascinated by the idea that these masculine men, who are icons in the black community (and, well, all communities), may be bisexual. I suppose I'm also fascinated by the fact that the guy in Hollywood said they are "bisexual," because generally speaking people don't even recognize bisexuality. Usually, when a guy is found to have same-sex affairs, he's just described as plain ole "gay."

Thanks. :cool:

(Oh, and by the way, if you have the intention of "schooling" me here with statements like "It doesn't matter" or "flamboyance doesn't mean gay" or something like that -- save it! I don't need schooling. I have a right to ask these questions. I've known masculine gay men who weren't flamboyant, and I know that it doesn't "matter." But I have a fuckin right to ask, okay? I have the right to ask whatever I want. It's called a conversation.... Thanks.)

Last edited:

Frodo46888

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We've speculated here about practically every actor, most of it wishful thinking rather than fact, but I suspect that many of them have had some gay experiences. One way to get the attention of influential people is to sleep with them. They also have been faced with more temptations than most of the rest of us. Very few men are 100% straight.

drac87

Experimental Member
Media
Well as a black man (yes, folks, I'm a brutha...LOL), I can tell you that I too have heard the rumors for years about Will Smith and my gaydar sort of goes off concerning him. I've always heard that he (along with his wife Jada) are both open to sexual experimentation and it doesnt seem too far-fetched the idea of him having an occasional romp with the "home team".

I can kinda see it with Wesley Snipes too, although I've never sonsidered him before.

But Denzel Washington is a TOTAL shock. He is idolized in the black community ESPECIALLY among black women and is widely considered one of the most handsome black men in the world by many. I've heard rumors that he hasn't always been faithful to his wife, but if it's true that he's had flings with men, then that would be a definite surprise....

ChockladGa

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't know about Will Smith but there's likely something to the story on Denzel Washington. He ran into me at a lively pub in Bali Indonesia (early 90's) - a place that was well known for accommodating gays. He strolled the streets so care-free until he opened the swing-doors and there I was. He came to a screeching halt and wondered if I were American and so I said, "Denzel" (to leave no doubt). He looked nervous but patted me on the shoulder and said, "how you doing" as he went to a table in the back section where a rowdy crowd awaited him. He stayed there for about 15 minutes before leaving with some of the group.
Denzel is a thick built - TALL man - and good looking. He couldn't use that much make-up for his movies because he's naturally stocked with great features.

Reactions: Angstr

clarkwest

Superior Member
Media
Six Degrees of Separation (1993) is more famous for Denzel Washington's widely quoted warning to Will Smith — "Don't you be kissing no man!" — than it is for a credible queer character who might have sexual impulses. This calculated evasion not only offends intelligent viewers, but makes the entire film dismissable. How can the audience trust any part of a movie that doesn't have the guts to show even the smallest aspect of the key component of a character's arsenal? (Smith played a hot gay hustler.)
Another famous example of the "lost kiss" is Philadelphia (1993), where we must take the word of the gay partners that they love each other because the filmmakers didn't have the guts to offer any visual evidence.

Hairylegs

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Probably a lot of gay projection from gay guys onto actors they like. That said, remember all the guys in your high school theater/talent groups? Remember ANY of them being straight as a ruler? I don't! You have to be just a bit fruity to act, and gay men playing a straight role in real life is a given - we are natural actors. Could he be? Who know? If they are, what are your chances of getting any of 'em into the sack with you? I think we all know the answer to that one too.

mikeyinbrooklyn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Six Degrees... and Philadelphia may have gay characters and themes, but both are serious and intelligent movies that greatly enhanced each man's standing as an actor. Will Smith was a boy rapper turned sitcom actor until Six Degrees, after which he was a real Hollywood movie star, capable of being cast as the lead in a blockbuster, like Independence Day. Denzel was a leading actor before Philadelphia, to be sure, but it was his first major where being black wasn't a prerequisite for the role. He went from being a top black actor to being a top actor, period. While Scientology does raise all sorts of red flags, I have never heard anything credible about either Will or Denzel being gay. Not that I'd mind (especially Denzel)!

billybones

Superior Member
Media
Six Degrees of Separation (1993) is more famous for Denzel Washington's widely quoted warning to Will Smith — "Don't you be kissing no man!" — than it is for a credible queer character who might have sexual impulses. This calculated evasion not only offends intelligent viewers, but makes the entire film dismissable. How can the audience trust any part of a movie that doesn't have the guts to show even the smallest aspect of the key component of a character's arsenal? (Smith played a hot gay hustler.)
Another famous example of the "lost kiss" is Philadelphia (1993), where we must take the word of the gay partners that they love each other because the filmmakers didn't have the guts to offer any visual evidence.

I agree. But, the same disdain should be reserved for any film or television show that goes to extremes on the opposite end of the spectrum. Queer as Folk, for example; practically every popular series on HBO in the last few years. Slathering sex all over the screen to keep the viewer interested in the non-sex is just as cheap as showing no overt affection is cowardly.