Sexism, alive and well in start-up land.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm thinking of a TV show I saw when I was much younger called Remington Steele. I think she was a private investigator who couldn't get hired, so she made up a name and said she worked for him. Then she eventually had to hire a guy to play her boss, and of course he had no experience so comedy ensued.

I had to give my business a generic name so that I couldn't be automatically identified as the owner.

No, we shouldn't have to, but that's the way the game is played. And you can't change the rules from the outside.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I feel like I read about an experiment a woman did, with the blessing of her male boss. After getting a male co-worker's email (when, I believe, she covered his ends while he was on vacation or something) and seeing how much easier it was to do business pretending to be him, she spoke to her boss. The boss pretended to be her for a week, saw the difference in how his correspondence was received, and then let her make a fake male persona to get shit done. At least I think that's how it went. Interesting. Sad, but interesting.

Shackleford

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm thinking of a TV show I saw when I was much younger called Remington Steele. I think she was a private investigator who couldn't get hired, so she made up a name and said she worked for him. Then she eventually had to hire a guy to play her boss, and of course he had no experience so comedy ensued.

I had to give my business a generic name so that I couldn't be automatically identified as the owner.

No, we shouldn't have to, but that's the way the game is played. And you can't change the rules from the outside.

Pardon my disrupting the conversation, but I loved that show, and you recalled the details correctly.

Ironically, the female lead (Stephanie Zimbalist) was a more recognized performer than the male lead (Pierce Brosnan) when the show started. He went on to become James Bond. She's still best known for being on Remington Steele.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Pardon my disrupting the conversation, but I loved that show, and you recalled the details correctly.

Ironically, the female lead (Stephanie Zimbalist) was a more recognized performer than the male lead (Pierce Brosnan) when the show started. He went on to become James Bond. She's still best known for being on Remington Steele.
Because film allows old dudes more than TV or film allows old chicks. (Had to make my language fair)

Dollydud

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
“54 years after the the United States passed the Equal Pay Act, women in the US still face a substantial gender wage gap across the spectrum.

Today, on average, a woman earns 79 cents for every dollar a man earns, and women's median annual earnings are $10,800 less than men's, according to a report released by the Senate Joint Economic Committee Democratic Staff last April.

While progress has been made towards pay parity between the sexes, the Institute for Women's Policy Research estimates that it will not be reached until 2059.”

...technically no, they shouldn’t have too. Realistically until 2059 it’s probably wise to get creative and think outside the box .

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Reminds me as well of Inspector Gadget.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
“54 years after the the United States passed the Equal Pay Act, women in the US still face a substantial gender wage gap across the spectrum.

Today, on average, a woman earns 79 cents for every dollar a man earns, and women's median annual earnings are $10,800 less than men's, according to a report released by the Senate Joint Economic Committee Democratic Staff last April.

While progress has been made towards pay parity between the sexes, the Institute for Women's Policy Research estimates that it will not be reached until 2059.”

...technically no, they shouldn’t have too. Realistically until 2059 it’s probably wise to get creative and think outside the box .

I think we might be up to 80-some odd cents.
Lost Opportunity cost really bugs me, because that is bias before any chance to prove yourself.

Dollydud

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Working out the true cost of hiring an employee in your business has, historically, been difficult to calculate.

A salary is easy, of course, but it is all the non-wage costs which are often elusive.

Dollydud

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I feel like I read about an experiment a woman did, with the blessing of her male boss. After getting a male co-worker's email (when, I believe, she covered his ends while he was on vacation or something) and seeing how much easier it was to do business pretending to be him, she spoke to her boss. The boss pretended to be her for a week, saw the difference in how his correspondence was received, and then let her make a fake male persona to get shit done. At least I think that's how it went. Interesting. Sad, but interesting.

Well, one positive at least that experiment was believable and interesting. Most of the time, people who are pretending to be someone their not is just sad.

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
Because film allows old dudes more than TV or film allows old chicks. (Had to make my language fair)

This is at least partly the fault of women.

Humans like watching people they find pleasing to look at.

Women find many men extremely fuckable even into their 50's.

Men tend to see women as part of that category into their early 40's, if they're lucky.

GrowingMonster

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

This is simply untrue. What you`re talking about is the uncleared gender wage gap, where you take all of the female income against all the male income. It pretty much vanishes to 6-3 percent, the so called "unkown wage gap", if you factor in women tendencies to work in less paid industries such as socail enviroments. Thus it is an earnings gap.

Reactions: ChriJo

Well, one positive at least that experiment was believable and interesting. Most of the time, people who are pretending to be someone their not is just sad.
Well yes, especially when they have a misogyny tinged drag queen name.
I wouldn't bother mate. She's either busy living her life, or quite likely to have put you on ignore.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Dollydud

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is simply untrue. What you`re talking about is the uncleared gender wage gap, where you take all of the female income against all the male income. It pretty much vanishes to 6-3 percent, the so called "unkown wage gap", if you factor in women tendencies to work in less paid industries such as socail enviroments. Thus it is an earnings gap.

Research suggests that differences in negotiating behaviors between women and men may partly explain differences in starting salaries and salary growth over time. When individual wage negotiations are not explicitly encouraged, women are less likely than men to negotiate aggressively or to question salaries suggested to them by their employer or manager.when women negotiate as aggressively as men, they may be viewed more negatively than men.Negotiating a lower starting salary can have a long term impact on earnings.

research hints at the importance of an emerging trend in legislation mandating equal pay for jobs of comparable worth. Recently, Massachusetts passed the Pay Equity Act, which changes the rules of hiring by providing a definition of comparable work entitled to equal pay and prohibits employers from firing employees for discussing their compensation with coworkers. It is also the first state to prohibit employers from asking for a salary history in interviews—a practice that perpetuates the wage gap. The consequences of a lower salary may also be felt during job changes because many employers use a worker’s last salary as a reference point for their offer to a newly hired employee. Basing salary increases on past salary can lead to substantial differences in pay between women and men doing the same job; in the absence of objective job-related factors justifying such differences, such practices may result in charges of pay discrimination.A study examining changes in the gender earnings ratio between 1970 and 2010 separately in the private and public sectors highlights the differences in the pace of the gender integration of occupations in each sector as an explanation of differences in the gender earnings ratio.

Overall, the study finds occupational segregation is lower in the public than in the private sector. Further, the proportion of the wage gap that is unexplained by occupation, human capital, hours of work, and time in the labor market accounts for a much smaller part of the overall gender wage gap in the public than in the private sector.Other research identifies the growing prevalence of ‘overwork’ (jobs with average working hours of 50 or more per week) as an important contributing factor to the lack of progress towards gender equity in earnings in this millennium and to the persistence of occupational segregation.Jobs with long hours are particularly common in professional and managerial occupations. While both women and men earn wage premiums for working long hours, women are less likely than men to work jobs with long hours. Moreover, when women do work over 50 hours, the premium they earn is proportionally lower than men’s. The studies conclude that the growth of a long-hours culture in professional and managerial jobs presents a major barrier to closing the gender wage gap because, given the unequal gender division of unpaid family and child care work, women are less likely than men to work in such jobs.

This ain’t a woman’s tendency ... it’s a societal tendency . men and women and equally responsible.

the article about 2 business women virtually cutting the discrimination BS. How did they do this? By pretending to be a man.

My guess is analyst expectations for 2059 has something to do with technology . That is essentially what’s going to level the playing field. Well, until the company’s outsourced and globalized.

Reactions: BetterFuture