Sexism, alive and well in start-up land.

Dollydud

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well yes, especially when they have a misogyny tinged drag queen name.
I wouldn't bother mate. She's either busy living her life, or quite likely to have put you on ignore.

Or I appreciated his input and the relevant information he brought to my attention . I actually wanted to research what he was saying so I’d better understand the point of view .

Im genuinely interested in then topic and actively participating .

You should try it sometime.

Dollydud

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I feel like I read about an experiment a woman did, with the blessing of her male boss. After getting a male co-worker's email (when, I believe, she covered his ends while he was on vacation or something) and seeing how much easier it was to do business pretending to be him, she spoke to her boss. The boss pretended to be her for a week, saw the difference in how his correspondence was received, and then let her make a fake male persona to get shit done. At least I think that's how it went. Interesting. Sad, but interesting.

Pathetic atmoronic
Well yes, especially when they have a misogyny tinged drag queen name.
I wouldn't bother mate. She's either busy living her life, or quite likely to have put you on ignore.

Who are you referring too ?

100 Women: 'I transitioned and lost my male privilege'
"Male privilege" is the concept that men have certain advantages within society for no other reason than the fact they are men.

Tech entrepreneur Dr Vivienne Ming, who is transgender, discovered this in her thirties when she transitioned.

In her role as chief scientist at a tech industry recruitment firm she has also calculated the value of this advantage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-41502661/100-women-i-transitioned-and-lost-my-male-privilege

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
100 Women: 'I transitioned and lost my male privilege'
"Male privilege" is the concept that men have certain advantages within society for no other reason than the fact they are men.

Tech entrepreneur Dr Vivienne Ming, who is transgender, discovered this in her thirties when she transitioned.

In her role as chief scientist at a tech industry recruitment firm she has also calculated the value of this advantage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-41502661/100-women-i-transitioned-and-lost-my-male-privilege

I work in the tech industry. This bias is clear and overt and persistent throughout all tiers of the company. Despite my company being seen as progressive, there are 0 mandatory trainings on these types of topic and the work atmosphere is influenced by a lot of sexist attitude. It's not sexual harassment style sexism (though that can occur too), just a clear bias against technical contribution on the part of women, especially from people who culturally come from India, Pakistan, and the middle East (cultures which have a lot of representation via H1B visas).

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
I work in the tech industry. This bias is clear and overt and persistent throughout all tiers of the company...(there is) a clear bias against technical contribution on the part of women, especially from people who culturally come from India, Pakistan, and the middle East (cultures which have a lot of representation via H1B visas).

This is interesting.

I've been in tech for almost 15 years now. I am not doubting your account, but I have never personally seen such treatment or behavior take place.

There are definitely uber-dorks who will not hide their snarky disdain for you not being an expert in the field. Those guys will show their wrath regardless of race or gender though.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I work in the tech industry. This bias is clear and overt and persistent throughout all tiers of the company. Despite my company being seen as progressive, there are 0 mandatory trainings on these types of topic and the work atmosphere is influenced by a lot of sexist attitude. It's not sexual harassment style sexism (though that can occur too), just a clear bias against technical contribution on the part of women, especially from people who culturally come from India, Pakistan, and the middle East (cultures which have a lot of representation via H1B visas).
This is interesting.

I've been in tech for almost 15 years now. I am not doubting your account, but I have never personally seen such treatment or behavior take place.

There are definitely uber-dorks who will not hide their snarky disdain for you not being an expert in the field. Those guys will show their wrath regardless of race or gender though.
I was in IT for over 20 years, and the issues depended upon the company and in the larger ones, the departments or even the managers running his or her local fiefdoms. I've witnessed or been at the receiving end of racism, ageism, sexism.....basically if there was a reason for a male or female to dislike and then mistreat an underling or coworker, It happened. There are a lot of marginal personalities in office jobs.

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
I was in IT for over 20 years, and the issues depended upon the company and in the larger ones, the departments or even the managers running his or her local fiefdoms. I've witnessed or been at the receiving end of racism, ageism, sexism.....basically if there was a reason for a male or female to dislike and then mistreat an underling or coworker, It happened. There are a lot of marginal personalities in office jobs.

Maybe I just got lucky, but this is very eye-opening.

My experience has been similar to professional sports...

All that really matters is you know your shit well enough to produce functional code in a timely manner, and you aren't a PITA employee.