Sexual Orientation

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by B_Black11, Jun 18, 2004.

1. B_Black11

B_Black11 New Member

All the members of this group who aren't guests have profiles and under the heading of 'sexual orientation' I have noticed that there is the option to label yourself, straight, gay, bisexual etc. It then goes on to give percentages: 80% gay vs 20% staight, 40/60, 70/30 and so on. This is very odd to me. Even if a gay person had staight tendencies and vice versa, how would you know the percentages?

2. ericbear

Gold Member

Albums:
    This has already been discussed at length in the thread "Heterosexual/homosexual vs straight/gay" in the Et Cetera, Et Cetera forum. Although some people chose to mock the concept of a continuous scale from homo to hetero, I think it only reflects reality.

The percentages are about how you self-perceive your own sexuality, not a clinical assessment, nor how others may feel about you. I would hope that everyone is in good enough tocuh with their soul and sexuality to be able to roughly estimate where they feel they lie on such a scale.

3. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: Thats easy, if youv'e had sex with a hundred people (not a stretch in this group) and 80 were men and 20 women then your 80% gay & 20% str8

4. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I think there's more to it than that. A man's sexuality is determined by more than where he puts his cock; his mind is more important than his genitalia. Who turns him on more: men or women? Whom does he relate to? Whom does he sexually identify himself with? A gay man can be married to a woman all of his adult life and never have sex with anyone other than his wife; that does not make him any less gay. I have a friend (a board member here) who identifies himself as bisexual. He's currently with his first girlfriend. He has never had sex with a man, but he recognises his attraction to men as well as woman. I think plotting yourself on the sexual spectrum can be difficult and take a lot soul-searching, but such things can give you food for thought. Philosophy's a good thing, isn't it?

5. naughty

Gold Member

Hmmmmm,

That is very interesting DMW. Being in a profession that seems to have quite a few individuals of the gay persuasion, I have seen all incarnations of gay and straight. One of my bosses has a wife, kids and kisses her every morning when she drops him off for work and kisses her when he picks her up. But if you did not see the ring on his finger, you might say 100% gay male because of his mannerisms and impeccable style. I have other co workers who are quite decidedly masculine in their demeanors who are (Sigh ) to the consternation of many of their single female colleagues definitely and irrevocably gay! We all have characteristics that are perceived as feminine or masculine. I , for example , have all of my life been hit on by lesbian women who just thought I had not decided to come out of the closet and believe me I am 100% heterosexual female! I have even been sent notices from the gay and lesbian coalition in my place of work. I have a feeling it is because I have close female friends who dress with a decidely masculine appearance that I hang out with often. But I myself am strictly into men ! LOL! But then I am just as likely to have folks think I am carrying on hot ,torrid affairs with a number of my male friends and colleagues who I also spend lots of time with. NOT! People will talk, but each of us is unique and sometimes cannot be measured quite so simply.

Strictly Dickly,

Naughty

6. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not a scientific study, blackbodybuilder11. It's just a way for members to let others know approximately where they stand, sexually. As you've noticed, there's a wide variety of responses to the sexual orientation question. I think it helps make the LPSG an interesting place.

7. jonb

Gold Member

I marked 90% heterosexual, 10% homosexual to account for male fantasies I've had, along with a few circle jerks when I was younger. Of course, I haven't engaged in an actual homosexual act in over five years. (God, I sound like one of those poor self-hating souls at Ex-Gay Ministries.) Basically, it's intended as a continuum from gay to straight. It still doesn't describe all possible preferences, but it's better than the current two-point scale certain homophobic ministers like. ("Since homosexuals can't have children, they recruit our children!" I don't see why homosexuals can't have children, but maybe I'm a bit biased.)

So, BRMSTN, are virgins gay or straight? Fantasies generally tell more than just partners; outside of major population centers, it's harder for a gay man to find partners simply because of the statistics: Let's say I hit on a male J Random. Odds are only 1 in 10 he's gay. Now, if I hit on a female J Random, odds are more than 9 in 10 she's straight.

8. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: jonb, in a virgins case let your fantasy be your guide

Draft saved Draft deleted