Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Asexual
If imagine how much more accepting, welcoming, and friendly we would be if we just accepted everyone as being on a sexual spectrum. Currently, most people just see themselves as this or that and unconnected to anyone else around them.

How about we all understand we're all somewhere on the homo/hetero - bi/pan/Omni spectrum? Perhaps asexual-allosexual, hypo-hyper sexual, aromantic-alloromantic spectrums?

bcnguy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think the main reason for that not being the case is the stigma and sin that has been associated with not following the norm. For most of us who've explored where we are in the spectrum or how flexible our desires and attraction can be feels super normal to understand that, but it's about the mass of people to make it become fully accepted in society.

TBH I feel society is evolving towards that with more and more % of young society feeling comfortable exploring their sexuality and breaking the expected boundaries. Sadly the other side (for whom that lifestyle is bad and unacceptable) are having a more visceral reaction than ever, so who knows...

Reactions: nhguy78

Min23

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
These days it's certainly a lot easier to identify as outside the binary gender definitions than, say, 30 or 40 years ago. Back when I was growing up you *had* to be either straight or gay. It was that simple; there was no other option. Bi/pan/fluid simply did not exist & "You need to make up your mind" was a typical comment from the "gay" community. Straight folks simply didn't speak about such unsavory things and, as the internet didn't exist, you were on your own.

One reason I like (& hang around) LPSG is the flexible orientation options. I find this place *very* accepting of sexual diversity. OK, so we could do with a few more women & trans people to even up the gender balance, but anywhere which accepts human diversity of any kind gets my support:)

The youngsters (under 30) to whom I speak these days are much more accepting of fluid sexuality & "not straight" is a term which is used increasingly. So I think things are definitely moving forward in this respect, even if we haven't quite reached the utopia hoped for by the OP.

Reactions: bcnguy and nhguy78