Shani Davis Wins Gold In Men's 1,000 Speedskating

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Shani Davis Wins Gold In Men's 1,000 Speedskating

The rest of the story & pictures.

A black man won the gold in the 1,000 meter men's speed skating! AND he's from Texas, a state not known for it's ice and snow related sports.

Yeah, I'm proud of him. :cool: :smile:

2. Flashy

Gold Member

I'm proud of him because he is an american.

3. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

The article starts by saying the colour of his skin was not important, then you start by making the point he is black....

Didnt Cool Runnings show you anything? XD

4. Pauligan

Pauligan New Member

If I'm not mistaken, speed skating, involves skating on ice and ice rinks are often made indoors, so I can't see how being from Texas would change that. More disturbing, you cheapen his win by bringing in skin color it's the same as when Jimmy The Greek who made a distasteful bigoted remark about black men and swimming. Let's look at this as an American wiinning and stop dragging skin color in.

YAY! SHANI DAVIS, AMERICAN WINS THE GOLD! TEAM AMERICA WINS AGAIN!

5. Principessa

Gold Member

If color were not important the article wouldn't have mentioned it at all. :irked: It is incredibly unusual for a black person to compete in the winter olympics, period. That is why they mentioned it.

As a black American I have a right to claim him and be proud just like I have a right to disown OJ Simpson, Michael Vick, and Mike Tyson. They might be my color but they ain't my kind.

All y'all crackers can kiss my ass. :cool: :irked:

#5 Principessa, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. D_Andreas Sukov

The right to claim him? Thats just sick. Did you drive him to practice every morning? Did you buy his skates? Did you train him?

None of us did any of that and seeing as none of us are related, none of us can claim him.

Under your logic, i can celebrate every white winner and you cant. Kinda racist isnt it?

7. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    Ummm......... he's not from Texas he's from Chicago.

In that article the Texan is Chad Hedrick the guy who Bronze.

Lrn2Reed.

#7 Smooth88, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  8. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    Honestly thats very true. But race is a big issue and as a black person we always like to see another black person do well.

But lemon under that logic his mom can claim him. Hell the women moved just so he can join the US junior training program.

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can see where you're coming from, but I think just be pleased an American lad done good. :)

It's rare for a Brit to win anything in the Winter Olympics too, but I think we're actually on course for a medal. Just sayin'. :)

10. D_Andreas Sukov

ofcourse she can claim his success. She played a major part in it no doubt.

11. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    How is he from Texas? He was born and grew up in Chicago. You know we arrogant Texans would claim him if we could.

12. Principessa

Gold Member

It's not sick it's the American way. If you don't like it, lump it. :mad: Actually, it's the human way. If you don't like it, feel free to do us all a favor and leave the human race. :smile:

You are so young and stupid I don't know where to begin. Statistically speaking fans are people who feel some sense of kinship to a performer, athlete, etc. That is almost never based on shared blood.

I'm not a racist. I haven't dated a black man since the first Reagan Administration; and it's not for lack of trying either.

I'm sick of your ignorant ass attacking me. Put me on ignore. :angryfire2:

Kiss my sweet black ass, you ignorant, Brit child. :irked:

13. D_Andreas Sukov

14. Pauligan

Pauligan New Member

Your making this comment, disavows your claim (post below) of not being racist. If a white man made a similar comment towards you as a black woman, would you approve? If not, then , you are racist.

Responses on above quote from Principessa
    1:Not a nice woman either, advising people to leave the human race.
    2:Young and stupid, stop deciding that young men and women are stupid. If a person is uninformed, that is not stupid.
    3:Almost never based on shared blood, here you oppose your claims, since you want to claim Mr.Davis because he is black.
    4:Claiming to not be racist, doesn't change how you have chosen to approach this subject of Shani Daviis and his win.

The point he proved is that while you call lemon ignorant, you don't even have the ability to read.

Principessa, The longer that you and others continue to classify and segregate one group of Americans from another group of Americans based on skin color, the longer that racism will eat at the core of the United States.

I celebrate that an American won, and as an American I am proud of that. I could if I wanted use your "claim" of most of the American Olympians siince my mother was black and my father was white, something I didn't fully realize until I was in school and other children made their racist remarks. In the Olympics I see men and women from different countries, I do not see a skin color, in the mirror I do not see black or white, I see an American, I see me.

15. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Principessa tends to forget that racism comes from both sides. And she is great in being racist at moments... You can't deny that Prinsipessa

16. D_Andreas Sukov

I think you'll find she can :biggrin1:

17. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    Yea. To be totally honest the most racist people I've encountered are usually older black men. Sad but true. Racism works both ways we just forget that a lot.

18. naughty

Gold Member

I think people are confusing the term "Racist" with "bigoted" or "prejudiced". However... do I really want to get into that discussion tonight? NOT! Be he green black purple or red with polka dots I congratulate Shani Davis on his achievement.

19. Xcuze

Gold Member

I think his colour is relevant in the sense of inspiring other black kids to enter sports they would otherwise not be remotely interested in due to lack of role models.

Indeed, my big problem with the Winter Olympics is that is seems to be far more exclusive than the Summer games. A relative few countries hog the major share of medals. And the lack of black faces is somewhat odd to say the least. Its not like all black people live in the southern hemisphere!

20. naughty

Gold Member

Good point but I think access is one of the issues. For most or many blacks in this country (US)Winter sports are inaccessible because they are economically unviable. They usually live in areas where these sports are not available or even practiced by the general publc and many do not have the financial wherewithal to go elsewhere to practice them. Basket ball requires a ball and players where as many of the winter sports require a lot of costly equipment and year round access to ice or snow.

#20 naughty, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted