Sharing Rooms

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by uncwgrad, Mar 18, 2008.

1. uncwgrad

uncwgrad New Member

So I need a bit of advice, and I couldn't find the answer that I was looking for.

I am straight male with an average endowment. I have a job that requires a fair amount of travel, and to save costs I am often assigned to share a room with another male co-worker from my company. It sucks, but it is just the way that it is.

One thing that is annoying about the situation is the whole issue of nudity. I grew up just living with my dad, and while I am not used to excessive nudity, I never had to worry about nudity when it is ok. However, it seems that in these situations people feel that you have to change all of your clothes while in the bathroom.

I am all for respecting modesty, and being that I am more comfortable with nudity in these situations, I usually follow the lead of the other person in the room. However, there's nothing worse to me than trying to change in a steam filled room where you just showered and not getting a chance to dry off before getting dressed. I have tried to wait for the other person to leave the room, but meetings often get started around the same time.

Any ideas to keep this from being awkward and making the situation more comfortable all around?

2. D_Carroll Condomripper

Do what YOU feel comfortable doing. I wouldn't suggest going nude, but changing shirts, pants, etc. should be fine. Do you need to do and be a slow poke. I personally wouldn't change in front of someone I hardly know, but I wouldn't care if they changed in front of me. I wouldn't stare lol

3. Freddie53

Gold Member

I know what you mean. It can be awkward.

If you take the lead as in be first to change, you get to set what the standard is. If you let him be first, you will feel awkward if he completely dresses in the bathroom and you come out in the nude.

I would always take modest underwear and a robe. I would wear the robe and the underwear out of the bathroom. Then after cooling off, put on your pants facing away from him, Then remove the robe and put on your under shirt and your dress shirt. Leave socks and shoes till last.

And don't make eye contact while dressing. Talking is fine. Staring is a No NO.

I used to attend professional meetings that were paid for by the professional organization. and I found that the different men I roomed with had different standards. Once about 15 years ago, the man I roomed with was a coach who obviously had showered inn communal showers a lot.

I got up first and was shaving. I left the bathroom door open as I had on my pants. The door was open to cool off the bathroom. In he came. didn't say a word. I'm at the mirror which is right across from the bath tub and can see everything. He dropped his underwear and got into the tub and took his shower. He wasn't in there but long enough to rinse off good. He got out and dried off and went into the room to dress. He never made eye contact. He never looked my way. He never said a word. Looking at the mirror, there was no way I could miss the show. I don't know if he knew the mirror was allowing me to see or not. I don't think he really cared one way or the other. Yeah, I saw his package, all of about three seconds.

4. Golfbuddy

Golfbuddy Member

Jeez -- I HATE companies that do that to employees. They send you out of town, away from your wife or significant other, make you eat garbage for food, be away from your tv and other toys, then they make you share a room!!!! Terrible. Like you're in college all over. What cheap-ass outfit treats people like that? You're adults, and should be treated with more dignity than that. I keep a tight rein on my company budget, but when I send people out of town for anything, they get first class treatment. The best hotels, full taxi reimbursement, quality restaurants, a healthy entertainment tab, and comp time, too, to spend some make up time with their families. Tell the boss either you get first class treatment or quit. BTW, in the last five years I have had zero percent turnover in employees. Happy Employees = Good Business.

5. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey Golfbuddy - you hiring? lol!

6. catman

Gold Member

I had this happen years ago...

I agree about the robe and modest underwear... I also found putting on boxers and your shirt seems to be a good 'neutral'. You are 'loose' but not nude. (I agree, first think I go when I get in a hotel room is strip down and get comfortable).... The robe might be excessive (and one more thing to pack) but not a bad idea. I have also tried a pair of loose fitting slacks/lounging pants.

7. nubian

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Good idea, catman. Sharing rooms with people you don't know well is usually awkward.

8. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

didn't I read the same identical question on here recently??

9. Principessa

Gold Member

Do you gave an office in Atlanta that needs help?:cool:

10. Randyvoorburg

Randyvoorburg Member

Albums:
    Funny, i was just at a communal shower today at the local track and there was a group of bankers who were preparing for their annual summer sports fest most of whom obviously weren't ever athletic. Not that I was athletic but I'm used to being nude by now, took the lead showering naked, another guy followed suit and then a third guy showers in his underwear. eh?!? So there we were 2 naked guys and a guy in his underwear soaping away, and I thought I would be more embarassed in my underwear in this case. I walk across to the bench where our stuff was and guys were seated in various stages of undress and packing up or unpacking, whatever, I was naked but no one seemed to care, it's all true, no eye contact, turning away, etc. it all works. Showering in one's underwear, dancing around putting on underwear with a towel on, hurriedly putting clothes on, etc. basically ANYTHING that says "I am not comfortable being nude!" is MORE EMBARASSING than actually being nude. So my advise would be to get used to it or act like you're used to it, set the standard, be a jock, bigger chance you'd be admired for it than ridiculed.

11. Northland

Gold Member

You may be thinking to the somewhat similar topic from a few weeks back. In that one, the concern was sleepwear while sharing a hotel room-

http://www.lpsg.org/78196-sharing-hotel-rooms.html

There may well be others as well.

12. NIMBUS

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good on you. I hope that your business prospers as you deserve to, as a considerate employer.

If I go anywhere, I insist on a single room or I don't go. There is no discussion on the matter.

13. m9lc

m9lc New Member

Eh, if your roommate sets the standard as nude, then go ahead. But if he doesn't, then just throw on a pair of underwear before you leave the bathroom; it won't kill you.

Prudes are annoying, but it's just as annoying when you are militantly nudist. You're an asshole if you're unwilling to take a pair of underwear with you into the bathroom.

14. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very true. I used to be very self conscious of my nudity, but I got over my inhibitions when I was in my 20's.

15. MrGoodDate

Gold Member

Two couples of us travelled in Europe, and often had the same room.
    We just said "excuse me" "close you eyes" or "look the other way" and we did our dressing and undressing. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of talking. The good Lord gave us mouths to communicate with.

16. Freddie53

Gold Member

I used to be modest. Through the years I've lost most of that. But even in my most modest days, I would have been humiliated showering in my underwear. People might not notice me even taking a shower in the nude. But wearing underwear it would seem to me to be a big blinking neon light announcing my presence. Besides, wet underwear usually doesn't leave much to the imagination.

I've never seen anyone showering in their underwear. Quite often people will put on their swim suit and then rinse off before heading to the pool and then again rinse off before removing the swim suit. There are advantages to that, the chlorine in the swim suit can be washed out at the same time.

I usually shower before I swim in the nude and then wear the swim suit when I get out. I didn't at first and was taking my swim suit in my hand, and holding it under the water.Then I realized that the ones wearing swim suits didn't have to go to all that trouble.

17. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Another option is to upgrade to a private room and pay the difference. The company should give you that option. If you can afford it, it's always worth it to have your own space.

18. D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan

D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan Account Disabled

Been there before. I have found the best thing to do (for a male at least) is to take your shirt off (quickly), and then just look at the guy you're staying with and say, "oh sorry, do you mind if I change here?"

I mean, I can change clothes in about 2 mins, and if the roommate you have is staring during those 2 mins, and you're not shy, then who cares.

There are worse things in life than seeing someone naked. Just look at animals lol.:cool:

19. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    When my B/F travels, and if he needs to bring an assistant. They always have seperate rooms. It's a matter of respecting people.

20. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

our company suggested this at one time and it was the female employees who complained the most, so it never happened. But I had other jobs with similiar situations, I just changed clothes with my back to the other person. And maybe I'm vain, but I don't think I have a bad body, so I was not embarrassed but not running around showing off either. we had separate beds, I will not sleep in the same bed with another guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted