Sharing the Love

D

deleted3782

It depends what your definition of love is.

Yes...that's an avoidance tactic. :cool:

Myself,my family,even though i don't tell them enough,my small circle of close friends....

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have two friends whom I tell "I love you" after every communication. And my sister and I end every phone call the same way.

Aside from that, There are numerous roadblocks to an admission to any feelings beyond "adoration" and "respect" for perhaps another 6-10 people. Sometimes it's geographical, frequently it's an excessively casual familiarity, sometimes it's the utter futility in such an admission actually impacting anyone's life (including my own) in a positive and constructive way.

I should also note that these are all declarations of deeply-seated and intensely meaningful expressions of "familial" or "fraternal" love. I am excessively cagey about declaring romantic love, which is another whole ball of wax, though in no way either superior nor inferior to the love described at the beginning of this paragraph. It is simply, profoundly different (and, incidentally, much more fragile).

The opposite to keeping one's feelings of love open is bitterness, which I abhor. On the rare occasions when I self-describe as a "bitter old fuck" it's meant to be a dollop of black humor, not any sort of confession. My ability to give and receive love remains stubbornly intact.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I have two friends whom I tell "I love you" after every communication. And my sister and I end every phone call the same way.

Aside from that, There are numerous roadblocks to an admission to any feelings beyond "adoration" and "respect" for perhaps another 6-10 people. Sometimes it's geographical, frequently it's an excessively casual familiarity, sometimes it's the utter futility in such an admission actually impacting anyone's life (including my own) in a positive and constructive way.

I should also note that these are all declarations of deeply-seated and intensely meaningful expressions of "familial" or "fraternal" love. I am excessively cagey about declaring romantic love, which is another whole ball of wax, though in no way either superior nor inferior to the love described at the beginning of this paragraph. It is simply, profoundly different (and, incidentally, much more fragile).

The opposite to keeping one's feelings of love open is bitterness, which I abhor. On the rare occasions when I self-describe as a "bitter old fuck" it's meant to be a dollop of black humor, not any sort of confession. My ability to give and receive love remains stubbornly intact.

I love very easily, and I think I hate just as easily, I think it's the sixteenth of Spanish blood in me. I suppose people might say that love easily given is less meaningful than love hard won, but I love people very deeply and intensely and if they betray me I hate them just as deeply and intensely.

This can be wearing for me because unlike my Spanish ancestress I don't express those emotions loudly and publicly, I'm far too English for that, so I'm just a bubbling cauldron of unexpressed amor and animus. :biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well I love my partner who I call Sheba (because he is) and lets me call him that...
I love my dog who I call Sheba Jr, because she is...
I love my agent because she keeps finding me work that I enjoy...
And I'm still seriously infatuated with my SubZero refrigerator, well just because and I love this song...
LOVE Nat King Cole
And I still love being part of LPSG; it's been almost four years for me and I really enjoy coming here every day. Thank you LPSG'ers!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I love very easily, and I think I hate just as easily, I think it's the sixteenth of Spanish blood in me. I suppose people might say that love easily given is less meaningful than love hard won, but I love people very deeply and intensely and if they betray me I hate them just as deeply and intensely.

This can be wearing for me because unlike my Spanish ancestress I don't express those emotions loudly and publicly, I'm far too English for that, so I'm just a bubbling cauldron of unexpressed amor and animus. :biggrin1:

Ah! How I envy that sixteenth! I'm all just bottled-up WASP with enough French Canadian (not a warm-and-fuzzy demographic) to have made my paternal grandmother of some creeping ethnicity oozing into the bloodline. Had she known that my sisters and I were a genetic cul-de-sac she'd have probably been warmer to my mother much sooner :rolleyes:

Of course, the Irish are known for a certain, ahem, temperament, as well; perhaps you needn't look quite so afield for rationalizing a degree of emotionalism I can only wish I shared. You can tell when a WASP is upset by his/her chilly obsequiousness, not by any flashes of anger, which would be most unseemly and untoward.

I'm afraid that the early lessons imparted on my impressionability young self seem to have been reinforced by various life-experience: I used the word "cagey" for a reason. But once you're in, you're stuck for life.

And when I mentioned geography as a barrier, you came instantly to mind, missy!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't have alot of folks around me right now so I def. love my pooch! Looove love love him. I love mid-century design and I also do love my friends from LPSG....I love good singers, good cheese!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Ah! How I envy that sixteenth! I'm all just bottled-up WASP with enough French Canadian (not a warm-and-fuzzy demographic) to have made my paternal grandmother of some creeping ethnicity oozing into the bloodline. Had she known that my sisters and I were a genetic cul-de-sac she'd have probably been warmer to my mother much sooner :rolleyes:

Of course, the Irish are known for a certain, ahem, temperament, as well; perhaps you needn't look quite so afield for rationalizing a degree of emotionalism I can only wish I shared. You can tell when a WASP is upset by his/her chilly obsequiousness, not by any flashes of anger, which would be most unseemly and untoward.

I'm afraid that the early lessons imparted on my impressionability young self seem to have been reinforced by various life-experience: I used the word "cagey" for a reason. But once you're in, you're stuck for life.

And when I mentioned geography as a barrier, you came instantly to mind, missy!

It's certainly a Catholic trait, Spanish, Italian, Irish etc I think. But my Englishness acts like a pressure cooker lid on it... contradictory.

:redface: You monster! Thinking of me :eek: Now I'm all flustered and tongue tied, that's such a lovely thing to say :redface: The frustrations of vast distance not withstanding you know .... well I hope you know... oh god! LOL

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My family, very few of my friends, my dogs. I think I am a bit like you, hil. I think I fall in love easily, at least in the romantic sense. Probably too easily, so I try not to, but it's mostly futile. Even typing this makes me feel past and current heartache. It's hard to enjoy loving someone when the ache is so much longer than any of the joy received. I don't really want to get into it more.

I'll always be grateful that I have my family to love, my friends to love (even though there are very few of them), and my dogs to love.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
My family, very few of my friends, my dogs. I think I am a bit like you, hil. I think I fall in love easily, at least in the romantic sense. Probably too easily, so I try not to, but it's mostly futile. Even typing this makes me feel past and current heartache. It's hard to enjoy loving someone when the ache is so much longer than any of the joy received. I don't really want to get into it more.

I'll always be grateful that I have my family to love, my friends to love (even though there are very few of them), and my dogs to love.

I've grown to love the sweet dull ache of past heartbreaks, I suppose because I can channel that pain or emotional insight into my work as a painter I have a positive way of dealing with it and I wouldn't be me without that pain and I love me so I have to love the heartache which is a part of who I am.

I'm sorry you've been hurt in the past Pendy, you're such a sweet person I can't understand why that should be so. Keep on loving though, fully and as often as your heart tells you to, it's what makes you who you are. :redface:

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Love... I love my animals, other people's animals, wild animals. My Dad more than any other person in the world. I love my friends and all of my family. I love the sky and the clouds, the rain and the sunlight. I love squishing my toes in the sand and feeling something soft against my skin. I just love. Everything and nothing at all. Pretty much everyone I come across I have the capacity to love and be friends with. I believe I'm one of those odd yet very normal people who can be extremely emotional over just about anything. Love is a wonderful thing. It's the most happy/ radiant feeling in the whole world and I want to share that with everyone and everything I encounter.

I think I love some people more than others, but I've yet to find someone I can actually say I hate.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hate how much I love the entire world. Because it scares the pants off me. But I most especially love my family and my pets and my 'husbands'.

I love our world and all the beautiful living manifestations that are individual beings. I love making beauty too, but not more alive ones. They make themselves.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
family, friends. pets and those who share kindness, respect and hope without asking for anything in return

schwulboy1989

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My mother, I think, is the only person I've said it to and meant it...

I say it to my best friends when they say it to be polite, but I actually mean whatever the very next level down from love is...I haven't yet found anyone that I trust enough to say love to and mean it...

And that includes my former Fiancee...