Shark Week

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

On the Discovery Channel...

has been really disappointing this year :frown1:

NO really interesting studies and very little on Great Whites.

:mad:

2. lerotic

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    We've only got Shark weekend here on discovery and it's been pretty good. Got to love the Great Whites breaching and the Whale Shark moves from Taiwan to the US was a feat nothing short of a logistical miracle.

3. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not nuts about this year either.

It's a bummer, because I couldn't tell you when Lent is if you held a gun to my head, but Shark Week is marked on my calendar.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

LOL

that happens to me too...Rosh Hashanah? Passover? hmmmm sometime after February and before December...Shark Week? July 27th through August 3 baby!!!!

5. Flashy

Gold Member

i think they are showing you some repeats of years past. Years ago they used to be so much better :frown1:

6. TwasBrillig

TwasBrillig Member

Maybe the sharks are getting smarter and figured out how to avoid the marine biologist paparozzi. You're right, though, much of what's been on so far has been run before. Still good, though.

Most of my friends know I like elephants, penguins and orangs but when I say I also like sharks they have a hard time accepting that I am serious.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

that is only because more of the attention whore sharks are tipping off the marine bio paparazzis, which leads to less attention for the majority of sharks :wink:

I tend to agree with your friends...I don't "like" sharks either, but i respect and am fascinated by them and will watch anything interesting regarding them. They aren't really "likable" creatures since they are not caring or sweet or funny of other sharks or their young in the way we associate with other animals like dogs, dolphins, orangs elephants etc etc....but they are indeed fascinating.

8. TwasBrillig

TwasBrillig Member

You're right, Flashy. Maybe "like" was not the word I really wanted. Fascinated is better. They're such primeval creatures, so perfectly fitted to their place in the natural progression of the food chain that they become a source of endless curiousity.

As the man said in Jaws, "They eat and make baby sharks".

By the way, my sister lives in Jackson Hgts. 76th St. actually.

#8 TwasBrillig, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  9. Flashy

Gold Member

actually it's "all they do is swim and eat and make baby sharks...and that's all they do" :wink:(I absolutely love jaws, completely amazing seen it a bazillion times and actually have spent time at the beach where it was filmed on MArtha's Vineyard...the scene where the shark goes in the "the pond" is right there next to the beach and there is the bridge over it.)

BTW...I don't really live in Jackson Heights...Jackson Heights was where "Randy Watson" (the guy in my avatar, who is Eddie Murphy, in Coming to America) was from. :biggrin1:

10. 8.5x6

8.5x6 New Member

Shark Week is my favorite week of the year... although I do find they do a lot of repeat programming... and that the "week" happens several times a year... I didn't catch much of it this year, but it did seem kind of disappointing.

11. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Discovery has pretyt much gone down the drain except for the specials on HD theatre and Man vs. Wild. Mythbusters in still ok though. Nat-geo...that's my shit.

12. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Most of it was re-runs from the last one. And a lot of that content is repeated over different shows. Case-in-point, the shark diving armor. They could have cut that completely out of Dirty Jobs and just put in a little 30-second blurb on Mythbusters since they used the same suits from the same company.

13. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Shark Week went from being a wet dream to a dry hump. I love anything to do with the greenland shark, and there were a few shows about them this year. I've seen most of them before. These sharks swim up the St. Lawrence, which creeps me out. Shark Week has been going on for 20 years, and I think it's starting to lost steam.

As for Discovery going downhill, I agree. Nat Geo and Discovery Civilization still kicks ass, though.

Anyone remember when TLC was mostly documentaries? Now it's all Trading This and Fashion That.

Draft saved Draft deleted