'Sharking' Vid.. we're going to need a bigger boat.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i suspect that it's classified as sexual assault in many legal systems.

Have we really reached the point where nudity (enforced or not) automatically means that a sexual situation has happened? This seems to me to be a childish prank, nothing more.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have we really reached the point where nudity (enforced or not) automatically means that a sexual situation has happened? This seems to me to be a childish prank, nothing more.
this might be way down on the scale but it's certainly on there.

flashing is considered sexual assault, and there isn't even any physical contact.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I just think that there's a difference between breast exposure and "assault". It lessens and demeans both the woman's body and the meaning of sex.

ThickAZGuy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Sexual assault in this country (the US) and I'm sure many other civilized countries can be as simple as 'inappropriate touching'.

That's about as inappropriate as you can get.

It is sexual assault, always will be sexual assault and there's no way to define your way around it.

Why argue the the degree of inappropriateness of 'sharking'?

It's just plain wrong, immoral and childish beyond definition.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Look, I'm not gonna get into any fights over this, but there's a huge difference between pulling down a woman's top (inappropriate) and assault, which infers real violence. Like I said already, it's demeaning, for sure, but violent? Nah...

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Look, I'm not gonna get into any fights over this, but there's a huge difference between pulling down a woman's top (inappropriate) and assault, which infers real violence. Like I said already, it's demeaning, for sure, but violent? Nah...
assault doesn't have to mean voilence.
legally or morally.

no, it's not worth getting into a bickering match over though.
we all have personal definitions.
...unless you think sharking is cool...then i'd have to throw my shoes at you & use the high pitched sqarky voice.

ThickAZGuy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay

You gotta love Wikipedia!!

Sharking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sharking refers to an act in which the perpetrator sneaks up on a victim, usually female, in a public area and forcefully exposes the victim's intimate parts before running away. While it has similarities to the common schoolyard prank of pantsing, sharking is done for the sexual stimulation of the perpetrator, and to invoke fear. ( It should be noted that whilst this present act -which would be more correctly described as an assault or even a sexual assault on a person- is being called Sharking by some, the original meaning of the word Sharking was given to a person who lived by fraud and trickery such as a Loan Shark , and the act of Sharking in a social or public situation until now meant a person pursuing a member of the opposite sex in a totally unsubtle and very determined way).

The Law

This act is illegal in almost every country. While some have categorized it as a prank, it is categorized as Sexual Assault or molestation in many jurisdictions around the world. Therefore punishment is more severe than simple assault, especially if there are multiple documented violations, as may be the case if the perpetrator records his actions.

Terms

The sharker is generally a man/boy wearing a hat or other disguise, and the victim, or sharkee, is generally a woman/girl wearing a skirt or flimsy, easily manipulated clothing.

Environment

Sharking generally takes place in open view, usually in broad daylight on a busy street, as the attacker seeks to embarrass the victim.

Process

The attacker first exposes and then (at least partially) removes undergarments to expose the victim. Normally, a female wearing a skirt has it quickly flipped/pulled up, panties pulled down, and then the sharker runs away. This is what is generally meant by sharking but can be referred to as bottom sharking.
The opposite, top sharking, occurs only to women (as men are generally not embarrassed by having an exposed chest), in which the victim's shirt/jacket are pulled out of the way and bra pulled down/unhooked.

Videotaping

The crime is best known due to the frequency of such assaults being videotaped and posted to the internet, although there is a good deal of debate as to whether or not many of these videos are authentic, or staged. These videos can be found on numerous internet video sites, which might display distasteful or questionable humor.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes yes you're all right, I'm so sorry I got it so wrong.

Fucking charming that in at least 2 real life rape threads we see comments like "Its life, get over it" and "shit happens" but this gets a 3 page discussion on why its sick? Fucking pathetic and yes, I do feel that calling this assult is belittling what I went through, you know, actual assult where I had to worry about a little more than whether my tan was even?
it's rather belittling to asswume that the only reaction a woman would have is tanline angst.

you know as well as i do, when the morons say "just get over it" it's because they just see the physical act. the real pain isn't from the bruises though, is it?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hmm - this actually happened to me - well sort of - guy pulled up my skirt as a distraction technique when attempting to mug me. I chucked the fucker over my shoulder, fracturing his skull in the process and stood on his throat.

Wish somebody had been taping that!

Some of those are faked - some are real. I'm sure it was water off a duck's back to most of them - but that doesn't mean it isn't assult (but then shouting in an over agressive manner is legally classed as assult in some countries too). Having said that - we used to do this all the fucking time in school, to guys and girls mostly guys actually - I don't remember anyone killing themselves about it.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No its not and thats exactly my fucking point, to assume that the possible effects from this is anything like as bad as other things which I/You and others have been through is pathetic, to big this up to the degree it has been makes it feel like I have no right to feel the pain I felt to the degree I felt it because its clearly no big deal, people go through sexual abuse daily to various degrees, it makes what we went through feel more "normal" (not the word I'm look for, I just can't think of the right one)

A girl in school once press charges against a guy in our class for sexual assault because he put his arm around her and accidentally brushes her breast, it was taken seriously, more girls complained and the charges held. She went to a shrink to get over her experience and everyone fell over themselves to help her in any way possible. He was a really nice guy, just one of those who felt the need to hug people when he saw them. I tried to speak up about my rape, told the same group of supposed adults, and they couldn't have cared less, I was told that these things happen, but I'll get over it, the guy won't be in the school much longer and I should count myself lucky I didn't have to go through the terrible systematic abuse that Kelly and others had been through.

So pardon me if I take offense to these reactions.
no, nobody has said it's the same degree.

and...you'll hate me for saying this...but i think you're letting your personal resentment to this girl and the arseholes who let you down cloud your opinion.

being sharked could really shake someone up. leave them paranoid in public and afraid to wear clothes that aren't bolted on.
yeah, it's not the same as rape, it's not a huge & life changing event and it won't screw up her sex life for decades to come...but it could still be very distressing.

...your friends sound about as sensitive as my family. i fucking hate people like that.

SlimGuySB

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes yes you're all right, I'm so sorry I got it so wrong.

Fucking charming that in at least 2 real life rape threads we see comments like "Its life, get over it" and "shit happens" but this gets a 3 page discussion on why its sick? Fucking pathetic and yes, I do feel that calling this assult is belittling what I went through, you know, actual assult where I had to worry about a little more than whether my tan was even?

I know I'm going to regret putting my head over the parapet again here, but I just wanted to say that you would never, ever hear me say anything of the sort in a discussion of rape. Never. You, and others that I know (in RL and online) who have suffered in such a way have my sympathy, my support in any way you might want it and my admiration for being able to overcome what is one of the most despicable acts I know of. I'll say no more on the matter.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have had this done to me before but that was by friends and it wasn't some kind of sexual thing just an embarassing prank. I could definitely see how it is a fucked up thing to do. You don't run up to someone you don't know and rip their clothes off. I know if some stranger did that to me I would beat their ass. Or worse if someone did it to my g/f at the time. Then I would be really pissed.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The first major objection to this clip was about as over the top as PschoJanes was to the bear, it made my experiences (note plural which is why that one incident mentioned above is not my sole basis for my opinion) feel lesser in some way, rightly or wrongly it did, and I object to anyone who makes me feel like that.

I don't wish to continue this conversation, so we shall have to agree to disagree. I have taken care of my own issues here and thats what really matters.
i don't think he was saying that was the typical effect.
i think he was saying that you don't know the effect it had, you don't know her mental state before it happened.

i think his implication weas that if she was already fragile it could be the final straw.

but it's not worth getting into one on, you're right. *shrug*