Shaving and facial hair

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Catharsis, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I always hear that you have to shave with the grain and not against it, but I can never get a smooth shave from that! Not only does it feel grainy, but it looks grainy as well; there's a darkened shadow all over my cheeks and along my jaw. I find that shaving against the grain gives my face a much smoother look (and feel) but I always get some nicks and cuts from this and I'm afraid of getting ingrown hairs.

I use Gillette products (a Mach3 blade and their shaving gel) and change the blade every week. I saw one of their videos showing how you're *supposed* to shave, where the guy shaves along his jawline on his cheeks, and vertically down underneath the jaw. So I tried that (not in long strokes like the video showed, I know you're supposed to do short, soft but pressured strokes) and got nowhere with it - the [fresh] blade just seemed to glide over my hairs every time.

So I'm clearly doing something wrong and I have no idea what!

And for the sake of further discussion, how do you shave/trim/groom your face? What products do you use?

2. alx

alx
    Gold Member

With the grain to avoid ingrown hairs. Go for the electromagnetic 5 blade razors if you want a closer shave.

After every stroke rinse the blades to remove hairs clogging the blades making it not as efficient.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm a blonde so I don't get the dark shadow but I really like a close shave. I start by using a hot towel over the beard area and then I use a hot water sink with Erno Laszlo facial oil and wash my face with it. I then use Kiss My Face olive oli shave balm and a five blade razor, first I shave down and then I shave upward. I follow washing with EL Sea mud soap and then close the pores with EL Controlling Lotion and follow up with a moisturizer.

4. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I always shave after a warm shower and still rinse my face with warm water before I moisturize the whiskers and apply the shave cream in upward, circular strokes. And then I shave downwards in a couple short strokes before I rinse the blade in warm water and repeat. I find that I take a pretty long time when I shave, taking about 15 minutes and yet I've never achieved a close shave.

So does this have to do with my products? Hmm, do more blades necessarily make a better razor? I don't intend to sound sarcastic as one would probably interpret it as that, it was a completely genuine question.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I really think that better shaving and facial products perform better. As far as the blades I don't really know that I've noticed a difference. I used the Mac3 for years but I found the razor and blades that I'm using now at Costco and like them for the price.

6. blackbottom2

Gold Member

Albums:
    you can actually condition the way your skin grows around your hair follicles, like you being dark haired and with fast growing beard I also used to scrape my skin against the grain, but not anymore

if you shave against the grain then your skin will be scraped off all round the hair shaft, making each hair albeit trimmed shorter but stand out all stubbly. If you shave with the grain then it will give you an easier shave and condition your skin to allow you to shave smoothly with the grain and minimise the way your hair follicles stand proud of your skin.

Try to make the last one and then two shaving strokes with the grain and after a few weeks your skin and hair should return to normal allowing you to get a close shave going with the grain and thus minimising opportunities for ingrowing hairs, shave twice a day when first going with the grain for a few weeks if you have too and and your skin growth patterns will soon return to normal - trust me, been there, seen it, done it bought the t shirt, worn it out and slung it.

Most shaving products are as good as each other just remember the basic principles of moisture, warmth and lubrication and you will not go wrong, forget all the hype about differant cream lotions and potions and blades, mach 3s are great but expensive in the long run you can condition your shaving to be effective utilising cheaper brands if you so wished, i used to use my mach 3s for more than one week stretching em out to 3

why not make an asset of that glorious facial hair and grow a beard, they look incredibly masculine and sexy u know- especially with a few grey streaks in them. I certainly have had ten times more offers and better sex since growing a short but thick beard, and surprisingly for me thats from both men and women both older and younger

#6 blackbottom2, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. BoxersMan

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have always shaved from the bottom of my neck towards my face, so, I guess that is against the grain? I don't shave every day but I get a pretty close shave. Probably like once a week since my beard doesn't grow too quickly.

I use the Gilette Fusion ProGlide products--razor, cream, and moisturizers and hair softener.

8. cvcgolf

cvcgolf Active Member

Albums:
    Try this and you'll never go back to the cheap products you're using..

‪Shaveblog's Corey Greenberg on NBC's Today Show‬‏ - YouTube

An article by Greenburg on how to achieve a smooth shave..

Welcome New York Times Readers - Shaveblog

Here's where I purchased my products and keep purchasing my shaving cream..

Men Shaving Kits, After Shave & Men

These are the products I use and enjoy a smooth shave daily.. You just need to use light pressure then relather and do another pass.. 2 passes and sometimes 3 in certain spots works for me.. Have you ever been to the barber and he shaves your neck with a straight razor but you can barely feel it because of his light touch?.. That's how you want to shave your face..

Merkur 34C "Hefty Classic"
    VulfixÂ’s #2233
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving creams

Here's a site dedicated to shaving.. The forums are loaded with info..

Welcome to ShaveMyFace.com - The world's most comprehensive guide to the art of shaving and men's fine grooming products

Draft saved Draft deleted