Shaving and razor bumps?

duderino_00

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm talking about shaving your face. I figure it's an appearance issue so this post would fit in this forum.

How do you guys avoid getting razor bumps (i.e. ingrown hairs)? I've tried regular razors, electric Norelco-style razors and electric beard trimmers (on the lowest setting to get a close shave) and they all result in ingrown hairs. I use a topical cream to reduce the severity but I still end up having to reach for the tweezers every morning.

Needless to say, it's annoying not to be able to get a decent shave. I've tried letting my beard grow out a bit and just keeping it trimmed but it turns out that I can't grow an even beard so I ended up looking like a vagrant.

BTW, I'm black. I've read that this problem is more common with black guys than with other races who have naturally straight hair.

sro

Just Browsing
Media
Everything you're taught is wrong. Don't use hot water. Don't use triple blades. Don't use uber tech to get the closest shave ever. It always amazes me, but this should be obvious - the closer the shave, the more ingrown hairs you'll have.

I wash my face with cold water, and run hot water on the blade. No problems. If it's too long, I'll use a trimmer to cut it down, and then use a basic bic sensitive skin razor. Good enough.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
if your hair's extra curly, ingrown hairs will happen no matter how you shave...what helps is if you check your face every day for hairs that seem to be curling back into the skin & pull out the ends (not the entire hair)

personally I use electric clippers on the lowest setting for a pretty close shave...I would NEVER use a razor...

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I used to use that Edge shaving gel and a Mach 3 or 4...not for us, LOL.

I recently starting using that Magic shaving powder. It's one of the closest shaves that I've had in a very long time. I'm hooked on it. I should've known because my dad and grandfather swore by it, but it always looked so creepy to me. I just used the Edge and Mach because it showed up in my mailbox on my 18th birthday from somewhere. I love free stuff, LOL.

Try the Magic powder. You might like it.

Peace

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

duderino_00

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Try the Magic powder. You might like it.

Thanks for the tip. I've used Magic before but I stopped because my face would be really sore after I used it. Maybe having a sore face for a few hours would be better than wasting time with the tweezer and mirror every morning.

I bought a razor bump treatment cream that supposedly prevents the bumps if you use it twice a day... everyday... for the rest of your life. We'll see how that works out.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tend to get ingrown hairs too. My head hair is straight, but my beard is like coarse wire wool. I use electric razor day one, don't bother to shave day two, wet shave the next day, on a rough rotation. Obviously this would be difficult if you have a job where you have to be really smart all the time, but it gives the skin a bit more time to recover. Surprisingy, I find that it's easier to make my skin sore with the electric than with a razor, so I use the electric fairly carefully (ie. I try not to go over the same bit of skin too much). The wet razors I like at the moment are those sets on a blister pack with about 24 replaceable twin blade heads and a nice thick handle. Those heads articulate very well and the blades seem very sharp so you don't need to use much pressure - which seems to help. I use Gillette sensitive foam, and I don't use any kind of after shave, or pre-electric, lotions. Those always sting like hell and seem to make matters worse by removing the skin's natural oils. Those oils are there for a reason.

I don't think it's possible to avoid ingrown hairs altogether without abandoning shaving altogether. I often find, mostly along the jaw line, bumps that turn out to contain a hair that has mutated into a hard ball just beneath the skin rather. These can become infected and turn into zits, so I get my wife to remove them (the things we do for love :rolleyes:) with one of those little tools like a miniature metal spoon with a hole in the middle - you press it down on the lump and it pops through the hole - nice!).

80deezel

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to get bumps bad when i was in school then i learned to use an electric razor and shave every other day.The key is to keep the razor clean and oiled,a dull and dirty blade results in razor bumps.Take it apart and blow out the hair inside.Use alcohol on the blades to clean bacteria off.When you get done shaving wash your face with exfoliating soap before you use the treatment cream.You will notice the bumps gone immediately.

enviroboy23

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i avoid bumps everywhere i shave with the same method. i use a mach 3 and a shave cream (not gel or foam), shave as usual, and then I swab witch hazel over the area after rinsing. It kills the bacteria that get in the tiny nicks and pores that are left exposed after shaving and create bumps.