Shaving pubes: manual or electric?

NYC8"

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Aright, this might be a really basic question, but.... for those who shave 'em, what's the cleanest and safest way to do so?

I've got hairs growing about a fifth of the way up the shaft, on all that thin skin with the veins right around, and the idea of scraping a razorblade over that just gives me the creeps. Is that how you're "supposed to" do it--is it safer than I think? Up til now I've used an electric razor's sideburn extension, because at least that way you can clip a lot without actually having to put the blade on the shaft-skin.

Garth33

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
NYC8" said:
Aright, this might be a really basic question, but.... for those who shave 'em, what's the cleanest and safest way to do so?

I've got hairs growing about a fifth of the way up the shaft, on all that thin skin with the veins right around, and the idea of scraping a razorblade over that just gives me the creeps. Is that how you're "supposed to" do it--is it safer than I think? Up til now I've used an electric razor's sideburn extension, because at least that way you can clip a lot without actually having to put the blade on the shaft-skin.

go with the manual razor....plus side is - YOU CAN SOAP UP YOURSELF!:biggrin1: Let the chips fall where they may from there....as long as you're hard - shaving is EASY!:smile:

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
I only use the electric above the cock. I had a horrible (well, it was painful)accident years ago with clippers and my sac. Don't worry, it's fine now. So I shave the rest with a razor. It feels GOOD to shave your balls, doesn't it?

artyhungman

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I always use a blade. The double or triple bladed ones do a neat job. Do it dry - much easier to see exactly what you are doing. Shave my sac and shaft that way. Never had any probs. Only attempt with a Phillips electric ended up feeling like it had plucked the hairs outta my sac .... ouch!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I shave weekly (pubes to asscrack) using a Venus Devine razor (manual) and Gel for sensitive skins (ones that claim to prevent razor bump etc).

They key to avoiding razor burn and bumps is to go WITH the hair growth. This usually means:
  1. DOWN from waist to top of cock. Lift up cock and hold, then:
  2. DOWN from underside of cock to midpoint at the bottom of your sac
  3. Down from ass crack to midpoint at the bottom of your sac (from other direction)
When I first started trimming (for medical procedure) I used trimmers and nicked myself a Sorceror mentioned. I sue this routine and have had ONE hair bump in over a year plus. Good luck with it.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
artyhungman said:
I always use a blade. The Do it dry - much easier to see exactly what you are doing.

Agreed, I do mine dry and Flaccid. I've found if you shave dry, you have better control over the skin, rather than lubed up.
But it's all on skin types too. Some guys are ultra sensitive and get shaver burn easily.
You'll have to try a few methods and see what works for you.

Try sitting reverse on the toilet, and shave away.
Then all the hair falls in the toilet, and FLUSH.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
Lex said:
I shave weekly (pubes to asscrack) using a Venus Devine razor (manual) and Gel for sensitive skins (ones that claim to prevent razor bump etc).

They key to avoiding razor burn and bumps is to go WITH the hair growth. This usually means:
  1. DOWN from waist to top of cock. Lift up cock and hold, then:
  2. DOWN from underside of cock to midpoint at the bottom of your sac
  3. Down from ass crack to midpoint at the bottom of your sac (from other direction)
When I first started trimming (for medical procedure) I used trimmers and nicked myself a Sorceror mentioned. I sue this routine and have had ONE hair bump in over a year plus. Good luck with it.
(echoey airport voice)"Shaving lessons now being given in LPSG Quad Four by Lex, commencing 800 EST"

JamesPM

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Using something like a disposable razor is safer than it sounds and, I would say, a lot safer than using an electric. For a start, with a disposable you don't have this electric motor determined to do its job regardless of how much skin it's got its teeth into.

You do need to take a care but it's as safe as shaving your face. If you're not used to using one then have a practice on other areas first. I used to use an electric for my face and did have some problems using a blade elsewhere but this was lack of practice / no real idea what I was doing. Things were fine once I started on the wet-shave-all-areas.

As to why we don't all end up with crotches cut to hell - don't know really. We just have to thank the folk that design disposables for knowing what they are doing. Very occasionally i'll nick myself but it's not painful and it seems to heal a lot quicker than a similar nick on the face.

My experience with an electric is the same as everyone else - Ouch ! wont be doing that again. It was twenty years ago but my balls (Dex and Sin) still huddle in tight when I / we remember that episode.

---
James

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The idea of putting an electric razor down there is scaring the shit out of me! Manual is the only way to go in my book. :smile:

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Can anyone imagine a set of balls and a shaft becoming accustomed to the noise/buzz of an electric shaver. After so many shaves it would only be come hard/erect if the proper noise was around. I do not want my body to become accustomed to this type of conditioning. After all, sometimes I engage in intercourse with out electric or even batteries near by. This reminds me of the "Bell ringer and the dog experiment." The dog was conditioned to eat only after a bell was rung. What a shame.

I enjoy the opportunity to manually shave, which I do along the shaft and some times the balls. As with any shaving, proper precautions eliminate cuts. After All, I do not want to be cut, in any way, shape or form.

PECTACULAR

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Agree with the majority. Electric just yanks the hair out of that soft skin and tissue.

But, instead of a totally dry razor, try using a thin coat of baby oil or mineral oil. THIN coat. A few drops does the whole area. After showering, apply oil and slowly drag the dry razor over the skin with the direction of the hair. No need to push hard if the razor is fresh. Then wipe off with a warm wet face cloth. The oil moisturizers the skin.

Try the thin oil on your beard as well under your shaving cream or gel. Makes the razor slide with out irritation or bumps.

Hell, isn't it great being a man!

Garth33

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
PECTACULAR said:
Agree with the majority. Electric just yanks the hair out of that soft skin and tissue.

But, instead of a totally dry razor, try using a thin coat of baby oil or mineral oil. THIN coat. A few drops does the whole area. After showering, apply oil and slowly drag the dry razor over the skin with the direction of the hair. No need to push hard if the razor is fresh. Then wipe off with a warm wet face cloth. The oil moisturizers the skin.

Try the thin oil on your beard as well under your shaving cream or gel. Makes the razor slide with out irritation or bumps.

Hell, isn't it great being a man!

again...i've doing this for awhile...fresh QUALITY disposable razor and do it in the shower. I've never cut myself in about 10 years. Use regular shaving cream. I do get it hard (makes it easier to shave the shaft down) Pull your sac tight and shave against the grain. (this will only make you harder) Repeat as necessary then use some baby oil for a soothing effect...and if you feel the need to jack off - go ahead! It's like finding the prize at the bottom of a CrackerJack box:biggrin1:

windtalkerways

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I use A Schick Quattro and shave
daily in the shower...it's a snap.
Benn shaving for twelve years.

Yeah I know I'm shaving different
bits but the feeling of freshly
shaved skin is soooo erotic. It's
definitely worth the effort.

jackM50black

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The guys below have alreay said it... there's really no problem with a razor blade. Any cut you ever get (which are few) is just a little nick. :eek: I shave the hair around the base of my cock and usually do my balls, but sometimes will let the hair grow back on them. You can reduce nicks by not shaving with a hard-on. The balls take some time to get a close shave, pull and stretch your sac gently (which I'm used to doing for fun anyway:redface: ) and keep shavin at different angles. I use gels like Edge to lather up the boys for their morning shave (in the shower). Don't have anyone else shave you, as a rule. :cool:

carter2006

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Agree with a manual shavers. If you're shaving the shaft itself, or your balls, do it when you're hard, but take care! If you're shaving the pubes above your cock, a hardon could get in the way... An alternative is Veet hair removal cream, but extreme caution advised if you have sensitive skin. Depends how bald you want to go!

LordFark

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i've used manual (schick quattro) for the most part
but lately i've been going with NAIR it's just simpler, but definitely not for overly sensitive skin

gymbrat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
alex8 said:
The idea of putting an electric razor down there is scaring the shit out of me! :smile:
The idea of putting a razor blade down there is scaring the shit out of me! So I keep myself hairfree with a plain little tweezer, one hair at a time on the cock and on the balls (electric is fine everywhere else). Takes a little time, but once a week is easily enough (I believe for anybody). Spend a few minutes while lying in the sun doing nothing or lying in bed watching some discussion program - there are ample opportunities when grooming does not steal you away from Very Important Things. You get very smooth with zero cuts and zero irritation.

SF_Guy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I use an electric, but I don't want a "bald" look - I use my beard trimmer with a #2 or 3 setting once every few weeks. And, I don't trim my sack either. That's just too damn scary!