Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Summer, Sheets and cotton blanket
Fall, Sheets and cashmere blanket
Winter, Sheets cotton blanket and comforter
Spring, Sheets and cashmere blanket
Most of the time everything gets thrown to the floor during the night!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Summer, Sheets and cotton blanket
Fall, Sheets and cashmere blanket
Winter, Sheets cotton blanket and comforter
Spring, Sheets and cashmere blanket
Most of the time everything gets thrown to the floor during the night!

I see you're a sheet guy too. :smile: Sounds like you have a big dry cleaning bill with all that cashmere.

There's something disturbing to me about not having anything tucked under at the end of the bed like you do with duvets. I like sheets better.

The odd thing about duvets I remember was in the places we stayed in Germany and Switzerland you would have a double or queen size bed and they would give you 2 small duvets for the one bed...each down comforter sized one for just each person! I hated it! I like one big blanket for the two of us. And the down comforters would invariably be much too hot.

Perhaps it's just what you grow up with that you become accustomed to and like.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cotton sheets are somewhat of a fetish with me. I'm crazy for good sheets. and BTW cashmere is washable on the gentle cycle, but if you put it in the dryer you wind up with a baby blanket!

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A bottom sheet, of good quality, and usually a down comforter, without a duvet, this makes it too bulky and overly warm. If it were hot, I would use the top sheet, without the comforter. The window is usually open, though not just now, it is -15 F.

Duvet means cover in French, so if a person says 'duvet cover', they are saying 'cover-cover'.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A bottom sheet, of good quality, and usually a down comforter, without a duvet, this makes it too bulky and overly warm. If it were hot, I would use the top sheet, without the comforter. The window is usually open, though not just now, it is -15 F.

Duvet means cover in French, so if a person says 'duvet cover', they are saying 'cover-cover'.

Oh. Excuse my French.

So if you don't use a duvet with your down comforter do you wash your comforter every week? Seems like it'd get musky smelling pretty quick. Or do you use a top sheet with your down comforter?

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I prefer just sheets and a blanket or two. Sometimes we use a comforter. My partner loves the weight of the covers I'm not a fan of the weight at all. We close the door to the bedroom and leave the windows open all winter so getting under the blankets is great.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I prefer just sheets and a blanket or two. Sometimes we use a comforter. My partner loves the weight of the covers I'm not a fan of the weight at all. We close the door to the bedroom and leave the windows open all winter so getting under the blankets is great.

I'm like you I need a cool room for restful sleep and I don't like the weight of heavy or bulky blankets and comforters.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
High thread-count sheets and comforter. Blankets added as needed.

I don't like taking duvet covers (sorry kalipygian :biggrin:) on and off, so I bought a washing machine big enough to wash a whole comforter. I buy cool looking/feeling comforters, and then I wash them as needed.

Now, if only someone would invent a soft cotton sheet that doesn't look like a Shar Pei when you take it out of the dryer, I'd be happy. :wink:

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight

I don't like taking duvet covers (sorry kalipygian :biggrin:) on and off, so I bought a washing machine big enough to wash a whole comforter. I buy cool looking/feeling comforters, and then I wash them as needed.

Now, if only someone would invent a soft cotton sheet that doesn't look like a Shar Pei when you take it out of the dryer, I'd be happy. :wink:

High thread count is good but, I like them to be a little thicker than say the sateen sheets. And after doing the color sheets forever, I've rediscovered just plain white sheets. 350 thread count is good for that quick 'chill' when getting into bed. I would probably never get out of bed if I could find a pillow that says cold. I'm continually flipping the pillow all night long.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I wish you could just stick a down comforter in the washing machine. I used to have a down comforter that I would always have cleaned but the problem was after it was cleaned it always had that faint toxic solvent smell.

I've found that the high thread count sheets rip really easily because the threads are so thin. Have you ever slept in a bed with crisp ironed sheets, Punny? It's heavenly and a rare treat. I've only had that experience once in Japan of all places.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
High thread count is good but, I like them to be a little thicker than say the sateen sheets. And after doing the color sheets forever, I've rediscovered just plain white sheets. 350 thread count is good for that quick 'chill' when getting into bed. I would probably never get out of bed if I could find a pillow that says cold. I'm continually flipping the pillow all night long.

You know, you have a point. My sheets looked better when I was buying ordinary sheets! * runs off to Bed Bad and Beyond * :wink:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wish you could just stick a down comforter in the washing machine. I used to have a down comforter that I would always have cleaned but the problem was after it was cleaned it always had that faint toxic solvent smell.

I've found that the high thread count sheets rip really easily because the threads are so thin. Have you ever slept in a bed with crisp ironed sheets, Punny? It's heavenly and a rare treat. I've only had that experience once in Japan of all places.

I always wash my down comforters. They take forever to dry, so I only wash them on a sunny day, and then I leave them out in the sun and they finish trying on the dining table at night.

But I also have (gasp!) polyester comforters too. (Cool design, sigh)

Yes! I once stayed at a hotel with ironed sheets. Heaven!!! Getting into bed with fresh sheets is wonderful, but ironed == OMG!!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I used to do the colored sheet thing too and just switched back to white sheets. They are great because they are interchangeable. If one colored sheet ripped then the whole set would just go into the rag bag in the garage.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always wash my down comforters. They take forever to dry, so I only wash them on a sunny day, and then I leave them out in the sun and they finish trying on the dining table at night.

But I also have (gasp!) polyester comforters too. (Cool design, sigh)

Yes! I once stayed at a hotel with ironed sheets. Heaven!!! Getting into bed with fresh sheets is wonderful, but ironed == OMG!!

I always thought you couldn't wash down comforters. You mean I've spent a small fortune getting those cleaned for no good reason? Yikes.

I have a polyester comforter too so don't feel guilty. lol. It's from Finland though and it's very nice and washable!

When I used a duvet my feet would invariably stick out and freeze during the course of the night which I didn't enjoy.

I love these questions...

In winter I use a down comforter with some wonderful German flannel sheets and comforter cover (happy?). I'm the same way with the sheet at the end of the bed thing. I have a lingering fear that something will reach up from under the bed and grab my feet, but I also can't stand having cold feet.

In summer I use cotton sheets and cotton summer blankets. I need to replace the linen sheets I lost to being ruined in the dryer. Linen makes for the most amazing summer sheets because linen breathes so well and has the unique property of absorbing and releasing moisture. That's why linen always feels cool and also makes linen (uniquely) the only fabric that's stronger wet than dry.

I have some very fond memories of staying at my grandmother's house with freshly ironed linen sheets in summer... absolutely heaven. You fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.

I always thought you couldn't wash down comforters. You mean I've spent a small fortune getting those cleaned for no good reason? Yikes.

You can wash them but it's a pain in the ass. You generally need to take large ones to the laundramat to use the big washer and dryer. Use Woolite just the same amount you would use for a regular load, and use a machine without an agitator. Wash it on warm and do an extra rinse cycle. When it's done it will smell funky but that's what wet goose feathers smell like. Ignore it. Put it in the biggest tumble dryer in the laundramat on medium for 12 minutes. Take it out and punch it a bit then put it back in for the next 8. At the 20 minute mark put in 3 or 4 socks filled with 3 clean tennis balls each. That will fluff the comforter as it dries. Then continue drying on medium-low forever. It can take a few hours easily. You can re-use the tennis balls so they're not a recurring expense.

Never dry clean a comforter unless you're giving it to a dry cleaner who specializes in unusual delicates, including down. That means you have to mail them sometimes, however there's usually at least one in every big city.