Sheet and Blankets OR Duvet Cover and Comforter

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
In the summer, white cotton sheets and at the most a cotton blanket. In the spring and fall a thin down duvet with a cotton cover matching the sheets. For wintertime I use a thicker eiderdown duvet.

I can't stand having the sheets or covers tucked in. In a hotel, the first thing I do is untuck all the top sheets!

The sheets and covers are washed weekly and line dried. I never use a dryer. In fact I don't own one. I love the smell of air dried cotton sheets and a dryer is the hardest thing on fabrics. They cause fading and wear out your clothes. The duvets get washed at the end of every season.

I don't think 'duvet' means cover.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the summer, white cotton sheets and at the most a cotton blanket. In the spring and fall a thin down duvet with a cotton cover matching the sheets. For wintertime I use a thicker eiderdown duvet.

I can't stand having the sheets or covers tucked in. In a hotel, the first thing I do is untuck all the top sheets!

The sheets and covers are washed weekly and line dried. I never use a dryer. In fact I don't own one. I love the smell of air dried cotton sheets and a dryer is the hardest thing on fabrics. They cause fading and wear out your clothes. The duvets get washed at the end of every season.

I don't think 'duvet' means cover.

I like your style, but in NY we need a dryer, the coop is funny about us hanging laundry out of the windows! The Duvet it actually the down thing, and the cover is well...what you cover it with!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... Duvet means cover in French, so if a person says 'duvet cover', they are saying 'cover-cover'.

I beg to differ.

The french word 'duvet' means down (as in 'oiseau couvert de duvet' or 'down covered bird'). Cover (noun) in French being couverture.

A duvet is also known as an eiderdown in some parts. You can work out the etymology. I prefer duvets for their ease of use and kick-off ability!

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I like those crazy-soft microfleece blankets. They're synthetic fibers, but it feels great to get out of the shower, put on fresh boxer-briefs and roll around on a king/queen-sized microfleece blanket.

I bought an actual alpaca hyde a few years ago that served as the ultimate in comfort bedspreads -- but somewhere along the line, the idea of sleeping on a south american animal bred specifically for human comfort (& made into sweaters, coats, socks, scarves, bedding)... just began to seem decadent, perversely self-indulgent. So the microfleece is an animal-friendly, cruelty-free alternative.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I like your style, but in NY we need a dryer, the coop is funny about us hanging laundry out of the windows! The Duvet it actually the down thing, and the cover is well...what you cover it with!
I was thinking "He lives in a coop?" It took a second to process that to co-op. :tongue:

Here, everybody just hangs it out off the balcony. Brackets and the clotheslines are standard equipment for every apartment or condo. I have a massive upstairs bathroom, so in the winter, we have a folding rack to dry on in there. If you direct a fan blowing at it, stuff dries really fast.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like those crazy-soft microfleece blankets. They're synthetic fibers, but it feels great to get out of the shower, put on fresh boxer-briefs and roll around on a king/queen-sized microfleece blanket.

I bought an actual alpaca hyde a few years ago that served as the ultimate in comfort bedspreads -- but somewhere along the line, the idea of sleeping on a south american animal bred specifically for human comfort (& made into sweaters, coats, socks, scarves, bedding)... just began to seem decadent, perversely self-indulgent. So the microfleece is an animal-friendly, cruelty-free alternative.

Those microfleece blankets are always, always in hotel rooms. I always manage to get an static electric shock using them. The same goes with polar fleece blankets. If you wear polyester pyjamas bottoms you can run your knees under them in the dark and see the static electric charge being created - great if you have insomnia.

I have a baby alpaca throw blanket I got in Peru. It is rather scratchy surprisingly - the alpaca hide blanket sounds like it would be very heavy.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I beg to differ.

The french word 'duvet' means down (as in 'oiseau couvert de duvet' or 'down covered bird'). Cover (noun) in French being couverture.

A duvet is also known as an eiderdown in some parts. You can work out the etymology. I prefer duvets for their ease of use and kick-off ability!

Oh Dong, when do you EVER kick the duvet off?

Don't most French people use sheets and blankets anyways?

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Duvet' .. or in olden terms a Quilt'
inherited a Pure Silk Quilt from Dad..the ole China one..still works?.and a lot warmer than the modern day synthetic ones
enz

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh. Excuse my French.

So if you don't use a duvet with your down comforter do you wash your comforter every week? Seems like it'd get musky smelling pretty quick. Or do you use a top sheet with your down comforter?

From the perspective of cleaning and minimising wear on the comforter it would be better to use a duvet.

I wash sheets weekly, the comforter less frequently. I have several duvets, but don't use them, sometimes guests do. I got a new comforter a year ago, I always wash them in the machine, I have never had anything dry cleaned in my life. The previous one I think I bought about 1990. I don't put them in the dryer, to much clumping around wet, too long to dry, and too much wear. I have a mezzanine railing inside that's two stories high I hang them over, then fluff them by hand when they are dry.

I have never slept on ironed sheets, my Grandmother said they used to iron them when she was little. That was in Florida, in 90 degree weather, and 90% humidity, they had to have a fire in the kitchen stove to heat the irons on. Sounds like self torture to me.

I have quite a few family patchwork quilts, but they stay in the cedar chest, except for my favorite one my Granny made, which is on a quiltstand.

Last edited:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
From the perspective of cleaning and minimising wear on the comforter it would be better to use a duvet.

I wash sheets weekly, the comforter less frequently. I have several duvets, but don't use them, sometimes guests do. I got a new comforter a year ago, I always wash them in the machine, I have never had anything dry cleaned in my life. The previous one I think I bought about 1990. I don't put them in the dryer, to much clumping around wet, too long to dry, and too much wear. I have a mezzanine railing inside that's two stories high I hang them over, then fluff them by hand when they are dry.

I have never slept on ironed sheets, my Grandmother said they used to iron them when she was little. That was in Florida, in 90 degree weather, and 90% humidity, they had to have a fire in the kitchen stove to heat the irons on. Sounds like self torture to me.

I wash the sheets every week too. I miss lined dried sheets and towels from my childhood when we didn't have a dryer. There is a certain smell and crispness that I like about laundry that is dried outside. I absolutely hate the smell of scented fabric softeners or those sheets you put in the dryer. Occassionally, I hang the comforter and blankets and pillows outside in the sun to air them out. They always smell better afterwards and someone told me that the sunlight sanitizes them and kills dust mites. I can't imagine hanging a wet comforter in the house though.

Most ironed sheets these days I believe are done at the dry cleaners and they have a special machine that they feed the sheets though - kinda like a rolling press.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I beg to differ.

I see you are correct. Larousse defines it as down or feathers, and Webster as a down quilt.:redface:

My apologies to the OP for being pedantic again. (no wonder I don't have a boyfriend)

I have a friend who is from Wuerttemberg who uses German down comforters that are about two feet thick, Federbett, featherbeds in English.

I hate those scented dryer sheets also. Where I grew up in Florida, it is so humid that things mold before they dry.

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't know what a Duvet is (my 1%) I use sheet and a comforter.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think a duvet is the same as a comforter!

I love a duvet! Much more snuggly than sheets and blanket.
But not a feather duvet. The last one I slept under nearly killed me :eek:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Duvet means cover in French, so if a person says 'duvet cover', they are saying 'cover-cover'.

No, it doesn't.

I beg to differ.

See! :wink:

Oh Dong, when do you EVER kick the duvet off?

Don't most French people use sheets and blankets anyways?

No. It's all 'couettes' and 'duvets' round this way.

Why would you think that?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No. It's all 'couettes' and 'duvets' round this way.

Why would you think that?

What's "couettes"?

I always experienced blankets and sheets at most of the French hotels I've stayed in, the same in Britain. It was a sharp contrast to the hotels in Scandinavia, Holland, Germany, and Switzerland where they almost always had duvets and down comforters w/o any top sheets.