Shit. Ice in the forecast.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Little difference in Charleston. These people around her don't know how to drive in it, and they'll close the schools.

Fuck.
>:-(

Monday it went up to 78 and the sun was shining.

We had ice and snow here all day friday, saturday and sunday... finally got nice on monday, so we didn't have many snow days tuesday. Yay!

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
The newscasters are going crazy over the "winter storm warning", there are warnings scrolling across the bottom of the screen, and the top feature on the news was that a salt solution was being applied to bridges, overpasses, and more trucks were standing ready if sand was needed.

The grocery store was packed when I went after work to pick up something for supper.

Welcome to SC where 3 snowflakes will close a city for a week.

I'm less amused when they close something I don't bother attending...

...but i've never been in the snow, should be awesome when I do. :)

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Little difference in Charleston. These people around her don't know how to drive in it, and they'll close the schools.

Fuck.
>:-(

Monday it went up to 78 and the sun was shining.

Ice isn't snow. You can't drive on ice as there is NO traction. Stay home. People are going to try to drive and die. Take it from a Yankee. Seriosuly.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
Having grown up in Wisconsin, I was at first amused, then appalled at how little respect my southern friends had for driving in icy conditions. Snow is no big deal; ice is. When the occasional ice storm comes through, I can count on seeing the sides of the roads littered with cars that skidded into ditches or each other.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Having grown up in Wisconsin, I was at first amused, then appalled at how little respect my southern friends had for driving in icy conditions. Snow is no big deal; ice is. When the occasional ice storm comes through, I can count on seeing the sides of the roads littered with cars that skidded into ditches or each other.

Ice is indeed a hazard especially when it first forms but is invisible due to the rain, or if it is obscured by snow on top of it, so the driver has no idea that the road surface is icy until braking. Then they lose control as the skidding takes over. Multiple vehicle accidents often result.

Regarding the shit part of "Shit. Ice in the the forecast." Shit is the other drivers' skill deficits and lack of judgement. Drive defensively, but stay off the road unless absolutely necessary.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
An ice storm is indeed a much different creature from a snow storm (although the snow we had here a few years back was no fun - the plows ran out of places the put the snow they plowed up.)

Where I used to live, we often got ice storms, but rarely got snow. The ice is impossible to drive on, and takes out trees and power lines.

Better head to the store to get bread'n'milk. When a storm is forecast, bread'n'milk becomes one word.

(Which always makes me giggle at the panic-stricken sheeple... stocking up sounds like a good idea, but will they be able to use the 14 loaves of bread and the 12 gallons of milk before they spoil?)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You have to invite all the family and the neighbors and the neighbors' families over for french toast at that point. LOL
LOL Right, and they DRIVE on the ice to join you, right? Of course, those that don't end up in a ditch will eat up your stockpile of breadnmilk, effectively defeating your purpose in stocking up to begin with. It's just entertaining. That's what the canned and dried foods are for, they can be kept for an emergency.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Here in Texas, it actually snowed.

It ACTUALLY SNOWED in Texas.

It's been on for the past three days. The icicles are melting now. I was at work when it hit. There was two inches of solid ice on everyone's cars. I stayed at work on an air mattress for two nights, along with 80 of people who did the same. Just picture 80 dorks (less than ten of them women) all camped out at Dell with air mattresses, sleeping bags, and cots. They fed us every meal though, catering. The overtime and doubletime pay were good though. I got paid while I slept.

I love the snow. :)

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You can keep your ice, I just have a bad case of wind today. :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's like a ghost town here, with only the odd bit of tree whizzing past the window in this usually bustling city centre. :eek: The end is very fucking nigh, I tell you. :cool: :rolleyes:

---> BBC NEWS | Europe | Huge storm sweeps across Germany

Hurricane-force winds of more than 120km/h (74mph) are battering Germany and have forced the cancellation of dozens of flights.

German forecasters have advised people to stay indoors. Schools across Germany have suspended classes for the day.

The weather system is moving across western states and is expected to reach Berlin by Thursday evening.

German radio says more than 40,000 volunteers are on standby, as widespread damage is expected.

Germany's national rail company Deutsche Bahn has reduced the maximum speed of intercity trains to ordered 200km/h (124mph) - 100km/h slower than usual.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

But seriously, it's like a ghost town here, with only the odd bit of tree whizzing past the window in this usually bustling city centre. :eek: The end is very fucking nigh, I tell you. :cool: :rolleyes:

Where I live, colloquially speaking, bad case of wind means out of control flatulence :eek:. It rarely makes the weather reports.

witchway

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight

Alex is so right! Where I live things were blowing by like bullets!! Most people stayed inside and out of harms way. One friend who did not made aquaintaince with a tree that slammed into his brandnew Mercedes SLR!!:eek: Big Dummy!

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Where I live, colloquially speaking, bad case of wind means out of control flatulence :eek:.

Well done at spotting my cheap pun. I will be sure to flag up future instances of wordplay with a 'laughter card' for the audience. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, 17 people are reported dead in the storms here right now, and every single train in Germany was canceled earlier this evening, a fairly unprecedented event. Although things are returning to normal now, the storms are now sweeping eastwards to wreak havoc elsewhere, so doubtless the death toll may well rise further.