Short Reviews of Movies You've Seen Recently

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr. Dilznick, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

[​IMG]

Havoc (2005)

I got this via Netflix. Horrible, horrible film. That Anne bitch's "wigga" accent is trash. She sounds like Catwoman or some 1930's ragtime tramp. Nothing redeemable about the film except Bijou Phillips getting DP'ed by Mexican cholos.

Horrible horrible movie.

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Batman Begins

A wooden, cigar store Indian has more personality than Christian Bale did in this one and the story, supposedly anchored by the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents, wanders around looking for something intersting to do with Wayne's need for vengence - but it never manages it. The villain's comeuppance seems almost accidental.

The best of the series is still the first: Michael Keaton & Jack Nicholson are hard to beat.

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    Troy (2004) - crap.

4. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

Capote

I am a huge fan of Truman Capote literature. This is a look at the research involved in Capote's "non-fiction" novel, In Cold Blood. Another oscar worthy performance by Phillip Seymore Hoffman who perfectly captures Capote's looks, voice, and mannerisms. Capote's cousin Harper Lee, who won the Pulitzer prize for her book, To Kill A Mockingbird, also is prominently portrayed in the film. I loved it.

Good Night and Good Luck

A biographical film involving the Communist "red scare" of the 1950s focusing on legendary news anchorman, Edward R. Morrow. Very well done.

5. GoneA

Gold Member

mary poppins - terrible.

6. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

"Narrow Margin", with Anne Archer and Gene Hackman. I love that guy, he just won't quit.

7. naughty

Gold Member

Pride and Prejudice

This version had Keira Knightly and Donald Sutherland. I really liked it. I have previous version with Colin Firth and I felt he was a bit wooden. This Darcy finally got it. Darcy is painfully shy to the point of terseness but it comes off as hauteur.When surrounded by poseurs and other "pretenders to the throne" he a true member of the very wealthy and landed upper class calls them on it and comes off as a snob. But the movie does come to a wonderful end as do most Jane Austen productions.
    There were some weak points .The developement of the heroine's adventurer brother in law was a perfect example. We were not allowed to see how seriously an entire family's forturne could hang on the unthinking and overly heated behavior of one silly younger sister. The mother's fractious behavior came across as crass and desperate as it should have considering she had an entire household of silly young women to marry off to good families before the father's death. The dress and interiors had a wonderfully period accuracy and gaminess that one might suspect for the time and country estates. I do recommend but only if you like girly girl films. The cinematography is marvelous.

naughty

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ocean's 12

Convoluted and unbelieveable plot, choppy screenplay, uninspired acting, incomprehensible innuendos. Need I say more? Thumbs down on this one.

SG

9. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

"walk the line" was a great movie go see it

it was the first movie english language movie i was happy with in a long time

10. curiouscat9

curiouscat9 New Member

I haven't seen the movie yet, but intend to during my Christmas break. I too am a fan of Truman Capote's work. I read (re-read) "The Grass Harp" at least once a year. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there.

As far as current movies I've seen -- The newest "Harry Potter" was a disappointment and left out a few critical character plot motivators needed to really drive the film.

I am interested in seeing "Walk the Line" and "Brokeback Mountain".

11. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Kingdom of Heaven - I really liked it. There's also a feature that gives you details throughout the movie ala VH1's Pop Up video.

12. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

Capote had a great talent for description. He is good at drawing me into the story, describing the people and surroundings so well that I can clearly picture them in my mind. And most importantly, he makes me CARE about the characters.
    I think that a lot of people have overlooked Truman Capote's literature because they haven't gotten past his public persona.
    Have you seen the television production of A Christmas Memory, starring Geraldine Page? Marvelous!

Just saw Harry Potter. Enjoy the books; bored by the movies (except for watching Maggie Smith act).

Hadn't planned on seeing Brokeback Mountain. The hype surrounding "gay" films is usually disappointing. But, with the rave reviews, it is now on my list.

Also want to see Walk The Line, Memoirs of a Geisha, and maybe Rent(got bad reviews).

13. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I caught Harry Potter a week ago. I really like the books, but the problem now is that the books are getting too long/involved for the movies to be able to keep up with them. I felt that a lot was left out too, but if they followed the book strictly, I'd still be in the theater waiting for the movie to finish. OK, so that's an exaggeration, but as it was...the movie was already over 2 hrs long. My ass can't endure those seats for too long. I felt that they did the best job that they could w/o making it too long.

14. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    Not a bad movie except for Hollywoods poletic lienceing...Im a bit surprized by Ron howard not consulting Max Baer Jr (Jethro from the orginal Bevery Hillbillies) about his late Father. See winipedia on Max Baer. Pretty interesting. Not the villian he was portraied as.

15. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I recently saw Cinderella Man and, while I think Russell Crowe gave another impressive performance, the movie was quite disappointing because of the terribly ham-fisted direction from Ron Howard. He insults the intelligence of the audience with his need to "dramatize" the story and hit us over the head with the obvious. He just doesn't get the concept of allowing the audience to complete even a simple thought, so he does all the thinking for us. And he and his editor really missed badly in the portrayal of fight scenes. Crowe actually learned to box, yet it was butchered on screen.

The real story is so amazing on its own. It's hard to believe a director with this caliber of casting talent and resources could fuck it up so much.

16. GoneA

Gold Member

curious. he [ron howard] was accused of the exact opposite in the reviews of A Beautiful Mind - which was an excellent movie.

17. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed. I enjoyed A Beautiful Mind. It worked, and that's why Crowe wanted him to helm this one.

18. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

[​IMG]

Desperate Living - Early John Waters never disappoints and this is no exception. That homo is comedy.

19. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Forbidden Zone - Completely ridiculous cultish movie. Highly recommended for anyone that likes weird and raunchy films. Styled like a Betty Boop cartoon from the thirties, only live action, (yes, you read that right,) the whole movie is in black and white, and just as spastic and lively as animation from that time period. Complete with a balls-out creepy soundtrack and retarded plot, this movie is one of the most entertaining and lewd things I've seen in a while.

20. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    Heh... I just bought Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble offa ebay. The movie I just posted had a very John Waters kinda feel to it... You might wanna check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted