Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, Abbie.

6305074097.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Big Ballers: The Movie (1998)

Menace to Society (and to a lesser extent Boyz 'N the Hood) gave birth to a new breed of celluloid (not counting Melvin van Peebles). I collect these horrible movies and love to watch them while smoking/snorting dope. This is by far the funniest. You know you're in trouble when Cynthia from Real World Miami gets top billing. The "actors" don't go a sentence without saying "yaknowhaimsayin" and at the end there is a machine gun battle on the playground and the main character says "how you gonna fuck with the biggest baller on the block" and kills his lifelong rival. Sadly this gem isn't on DVD.

curiouscat9

1st Like
Media
caneadea said:
Capote had a great talent for description. He is good at drawing me into the story, describing the people and surroundings so well that I can clearly picture them in my mind. And most importantly, he makes me CARE about the characters.
I think that a lot of people have overlooked Truman Capote's literature because they haven't gotten past his public persona.
Have you seen the television production of A Christmas Memory, starring Geraldine Page? Marvelous!

I don't believe I've seen the version of "A Christmas Memory" with Geraldine Page. But I did see the version with Patty Duke and Piper Laurie.

As a writer myself, I have read where most writers have a "voice" in their head -- call it there muse. My voice is a soft spoken southern gentleman's ala Capote. This is probably one of the reasons I am drawn to his works. His writing cadence circles and flows with vibrant description and his dialogue is poignantly tender.

I think he is under-appreciated because people want to read more rapid paced novels with lots of action and snappy dialogue right now. Kind of like 5-minute theatre and the 30-minute sitcom that is just of 15-minutes after all the commercials. Too bad, they don't know what they're missing.

curiouscat9

1st Like
Media
Dr. Dilznick said:
Desperate Living - Early John Waters never disappoints and this is no exception.

I definitely appreciate John Waters' films. The one I don't get is Woody Allen, I haven't like anything he's made.

By the way, I really liked "King Fu Hustle" - very tongue in cheek funny for a martial arts film.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I actually saw two this weekend:

Bad News Bears (with Billy Bob Thorton) - some hilarious lines. pretty much a cross between the original version and Badder Santa. If you like both of those movies, I recommend this one.

King Kong (the new version as well) - I rolled my eyes when I heard that they remade this one again...but guess what....it's a great flick! I felt that the "love" story between Kong and Ann came across much more strongly in this movie. Some of the dinosaur scenes seemed pretty realistic (not that I have anything to really base that on) but it was starting to become too much. I really liked that Kong looked more like a big gorilla than a man in an ape suit.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
King Kong was garbage to me. Some good scenes, but the dialogue was weak, and you could tell it was an ancient script. When that lame ass actor came swinging through to save niggas from the insects I wanted to walk out. He supposed to be pussy now all of a sudden dude is Indiana Jones?! Then as soon as Kong breaks out of the theater, there's the National Guard coming around the corner. It's the middle of Manhattan! How in the fuck is that possible. It took 4 goddamn days to respond to Katrina. :eek:

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Dr. Dilznick said:
King Kong was garbage to me. Some good scenes, but the dialogue was weak, and you could tell it was an ancient script. When that lame ass actor came swinging through to save niggas from the insects I wanted to walk out. He supposed to be pussy now all of a sudden dude is Indiana Jones?! Then as soon as Kong breaks out of the theater, there's the National Guard coming around the corner. It's the middle of Manhattan! How in the fuck is that possible. It took 4 goddamn days to respond to Katrina. :eek:

The timeline kills the fun every time. It's sort of like the NYC detectives on TV who jump into their cars and get across the borough in a couple of minutes.

Hell, it should take 20 minutes just to get to the end of the first block.

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Loved King Kong... was very similar to the 1970's version, though I have never seen the original.

Loved Narnia. What I would do to have my chariot pulled by a team of polar bears.

Rented: Crash (intense), Mr & Mrs Smith (couldn't finish watching: boring), The Interpreter (ok at best)

Anyone seen Aeon Flux yet? It wasn't even reviewed.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pride and Prejudice.

It was very well done from a "period" standpoint. It's the umpteenth rendition of the story so I'm kinda "all set" with another cinematic production of something that's been done to death on PBS.

However, I like the performance of Judy Dench in particular. Since it's my business I'll tell you that the sets were without flaw from an historian's stanpoint. Seldom (short of a Merchant Ivory film) have I seen such specific detail paid to accuracy to the period of a film... right down to the mud on the skirts and the greasy fingerprints on the door jambs.

I've seen it three times simply to find an anachronism or a flaw but to no avail. Nope. Nada. It's a visual feast for the eyes.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
that's actually one of the very few movies i would like to go see ... i really do hope it's a good movie.

two days ago, i went to see the chronicles of Narnia, with my little brother. contrary to what i originally thought about it, it actually was a very good movie.

SouthernBum

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Haven't been to the movies in a while...but I have been hitting blockbuster up

Batman Begins---heard some bad reviews about it...but it is a pretty good flick. I didnt like Bale's voice when he was batman though...he sounded pretty stupid

The Machinist--- Another Christian Bale film. I had mixed feelings about it...Christian Bale did a bad ass job though. He lost some major fucking weight for that role

I Heart Huckabee's--- I thought it was good. If you don't like bizzare movies don't rent it. A few of my friends hated it

Crash--- My favorite movie at the moment. It was funny, it pissed me off, it gave me chills. Everyone did a great job in it. The director did a great job of making you feel all different types of emotions. You love the characters then turn around and hate them and vice versa throughout the movie. Don Cheadle is one of my favorite actors. Had lots of stars in it too.

Amnityville Horror--- The new version. Good movie...Ryan Reynolds did a good job, but it just didn't scare me like I though it would.

Danny Deckchair--- I recently started renting Sundance Films and foreign films. This one is Aulstralian. Good, funny feel-good type movie.

Amelie--- Hear a lot about it so I finally rented it. Great movie. It's in French so you got subtitles, but its worth it. Thought it would be a girlie movie, but its not. I recommend it. Its a french romantic comedy I guess.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
King Kong.

All the reviews that I read were not very kind. But, my partner wanted to see it. It was really surprisingly good. There were a few parts that required a stretch of the imagination. It was a fast paced adventure. Although I usually can't abide Jack Black, he was good in this film. I would certainly recommend it.

Transamerica.

This is a little film about a man who is getting a sex reassignment who is reunited with his teenage son. Surprisingly good. The person playing the lead is pretty amazing.
This subject always kind of gave me the creeps until I saw the film "Normal".

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Machinist was a hard movie to watch. Christian Bale deserved an oscar nod for that. Women and men get nominated every time they put on weight for a role (i.e. Bridget Jones Diary, Russell Crowe in The Insider.) Why not for losing it like this guy did? Eesh, that movie was just creepy.

I saw Donnie Darko for the first time a few days ago. I absolutely loved this movie. I couldn't understand why people were so "confused" or thought it too weird. I own it now.

UniDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I went and saw "Brokeback Mountain" with a friend. I now forgive Ang Lee for "The Hulk". It is much more than a Gay Cowboy Movie. It is interesting that it is Wyoming where Matthew Shepard got murdered. Even though one is fiction and one is fact.

Go see this movie, great acting by Heath Ledger.

SouthernBum

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok this is a little off the subject, but who cares. Is it just me or are you dissappointed when you read a book and get an image of a character then they cast someone that ruins it for you?
For example, I just saw the Trailer for The DaVinci Code. Tom Hanks?!? He doesn't seem to fit the character of Langdon at all. All the other actors/actresses seemed to fit well--like the chick that was in Chocolat being Sophie. I think that is a good fit. I am sure the movie will not be as good as the book, but I still will go see it.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
SouthernBum said:
Ok this is a little off the subject, but who cares. Is it just me or are you dissappointed when you read a book and get an image of a character then they cast someone that ruins it for you?
For example, I just saw the Trailer for The DaVinci Code. Tom Hanks?!? He doesn't seem to fit the character of Langdon at all. All the other actors/actresses seemed to fit well--like the chick that was in Chocolat being Sophie. I think that is a good fit. I am sure the movie will not be as good as the book, but I still will go see it.
I remember when Robin Williams was cast to star in "The World According To Garp". I was horrified because I loved the book and pictured somebody completely different than the zany maniac, Robin Williams. However, it turned out that he was really excellent. It proves my theory that comedians are great at playing drama but not vice versa.

(I know that there are exceptions. No need for anyone to pounce.) :smile: