shorts in public

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by rlit195908, May 11, 2008.

1. rlit195908

rlit195908 New Member

Why Has the trend change so much, shorts are to long and baggie these days. Women can wear short cotton shorts in public but men are afraid to wear short shorts. Why?

2. PiercedAndFit

PiercedAndFit New Member

Albums:
    The Fashion Police would site them if they did!

3. wommble

wommble New Member

Albums:
    Short shorts are very European - the long shorts are very North American!
    I still prefer short shorts and can't abide the long ones! Besides shorty shorts are more revealing. North America is still very conservative! Let me not statrt on the whole Speedo debate in NA!

4. rlit195908

rlit195908 New Member

If i wore them baggie long shorts i might as well wear long pants.

5. invisibleman

Gold Member

Once, I wore (hot pants style) football scrimmage shorts to the gym and this lesbian fitness trainer asked me "What was I saying by wearing those shorts?"

I told her that "Honey, if I have to tell you. You are in-deed a lesbian." :smile:

We both had a laugh at that...:wink:

6. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I cant wear short short's without getting arrested. So to wear shorts that long? I might as well wear pants.

7. wankaholic

wankaholic Member

Baggy shorts are also a uk thing, not too sure if the rest of europe is the same....It does seem that the uk and the us have very similar fashon trends.

I think baggy shorts feel better to wear, and are less restricting. The summer here jumps out at us in the space of a week, so we dont expect the heat, baggy shorts are a blessing.

8. Kewlbeans

Kewlbeans Active Member

Albums:
    I wear my shorty shorts to the gym. Only way to show of my legs :)

9. OldFirm08

OldFirm08 Member

Albums:
    sort of like the speedo' tighty suit is still popular around Europe ( especially on obese men it seems), but most straight guys here in the States stopped wearing them like in the mid 80's. As for the gangbanger/NBA/street thug look of shorts with the crotch below the knees, falling off the ass with pockets for their drugs and guns down by the ankle, well I'm not a fan at all.

10. NIMBUS

Gold Member

Albums:
    Totally agree. I wouldn't wear tight or short shorts. I prefer the ones that are like cutoff combats, with loads of pockets (inc. zip-up ones). When I go out on a hot day I don't like taking a jacket with me, unnecessarily, so it's good to have somewhere to put the wallet, the credit cards, two sets of keys, rail season ticket wallet, tissues, phone, headset etc etc.

I keep getting bought useless shorts with crappy mesh pockets that are too shallow to put anything in. They just get chucked in the bottom of the drawer and are never worn (in fact they'll probably end up in the charity collection!).

11. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Shorts are part of the Southern California lifestyle. I'm a fan of mesh athletic shorts aka basketball shorts. I like all the colors and the shiny fabric. They are as comfortable as clothes can be. Inseam length varies between 6" - 10". They don't need to be tight to be sexy if you're resonably fit. Most of them come with pockets. Champion, Nike, and Russell Athletic are my favorites.

12. RandyL

RandyL New Member

Because when the women wear short shorts, I need long shorts to keep my boner under control!

13. Meniscus

Gold Member

14. vietballa

vietballa New Member

eh, I think they're more comfortable that short shorts.

15. zawfi

zawfi New Member

Yeah, baggy shorts are more comfortable than tight short shorts. Nothing like catching a breeze up your legs when wearing boxers and baggy shorts. And by baggy shorts, I don't mean oversized and falling off my hims.

Fashions change over time. It just happens.

16. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

being from an older generation, I miss Speedos and shorter shorts, as well as properly fitting T-shirts and Polo shirts (don't like longish "tennis tales")

17. chuckman2

chuckman2 New Member

Albums:
    very enlightening. i always hate dating myself, but i grew up in the 60's and 70's. i'm almost embarrased at some of the tight jeans i wore during that period. and were they uncomfortable. oh yea. my son, during the 90's wanted to wear oversized articles of clothing. i told him he looked like a gangster. i bought my first pair of loose shorts after that period and was amazed at how comfortable they were. so what if i had to pull them up every ten minutes or so. i didn't take them off at the end of the day and have ridges on my body from the tight underwear and jeans. my scrotum and penis were not fixed into one position during the whole day. i did miss seeing a bulge in a pair of jeans, but seeing about three inches of boxers did something for me. really think it was a response to the horrible molestation thing that was going on in the 80's and 90's. they were hiding their male shapes behind baggy clothing. no defined asses or bulges. you had to imagine what was behind the clothing. i work at day wearing business clothing, but when i go home i put on a pair of baggy shorts. end of the day i sorta suck it in and then just fall off of me. and that is the way it is...

18. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I just read the entire article. Each of us are free to dress as we like. I never went for the ridiculously baggy look. My jeans and pants always fit nicely without being tight. Same with shorts and gym shorts. If they are too long when I buy them, I have them hemmed at the tailor across the street. The clown suit look of excessively baggy pants and shorts will fade away - actually, it already has. There are too many guys into working out that won't go for buying pants and shorts 3 - 4 sizes too big. It's been happening for years here in San Diego. It seems now that the mainstream and the more affluent guys wear clothing that fits their bodies well. It's the lower income segments of society that are still hanging on to the 4-sizes-too-big, baggy, crotch below the knees look.

Now, if we can only get the mens swimwear and surfwear manufacturers to do something about the below the knee swimwear. I rebel by wearing gym shorts to the beach. Oh my god! That guy's knees are showing!

19. rlit195908

rlit195908 New Member

the trend change but not all for the better

20. B_Artful Dodger

B_Artful Dodger New Member

I wear some quite old school shorts... I have killer legs. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted