• Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A friend of mine has a very ill parent, they have been told that the parent will not recover and that they will die within the next 6-8 months. My friend obviously found this news very hard to hear and since this time the parents decline has been slow but painful.

What do you think about euthanasia? Do you think it should be legal?

Personally, I think in the right circumstance a human should have the choice to decide if they wish to end their life. My friend put it quite well saying "We are allowed to help our dogs die, but when it's a human suddenly it's wrong".

What say you, people of LPSG?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The State of Oregon has such a law in place since 1998. I believe it was passed by a Ballot Initiative. Here's the law itself so people can see what a law like this might look like. For the record, I am very in favor of Death with Dignity Laws:
Oregon

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yes it should be legal.

Almost everything in life can be abused, that shouldn't mean that we prohibit them entirely just to make it a little harder for those few who would.

Aside from the potential for abuse the only other argument I've seen is that God created life and we shouldn't be playing God by choosing to take it away. Those who feel this to be the case though seem to easily gloss over the parts about treating others as you would have them treat you, loving one another, and us being given free will so that we may make such decisions should we so choose.

Pretty sorry state of affairs when we can find it within ourselves to ease the suffering of our pets and livestock, but not those nearest and dearest to us.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
yep.

to avoid a long ramble... Death with Dignity falls under my rule of : has nothing to do with what i think, each individual should have the right to choose for themselves.

i'll defend and support their right of choice.

GayFrog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I voted yes. We should have the right to die with dignity. To linger and suffer is inhumane.
The choice should be made known in a living will though, and not left up to family members to decide our fate.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes I think it should be legal. I have much to say on this subject and can't find the right words at the moment. I'll just say when a certain quality of life has passed and can not be returned then it should be a choice.

JacobFox

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would have to be in the yes column as well, at least with voluntary and non voluntary euthanasia. Involuntary euthanasia seems just a fancy phrase for murder, so I am against that even considered to be legal.

Last edited:
D

deleted213967

The State of Oregon has such a law in place since 1998. I believe it was passed by a Ballot Initiative. Here's the law itself so people can see what a law like this might look like. For the record, I am very in favor of Death with Dignity Laws:
Oregon

The State of Washington followed suit. I voted "Yes" in spite of Mr. Sheen's (no, not that one, the father) TV admonitions to the contrary.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm all about people having freedom of choice when it comes to their own lives, as long as they are sane, consenting adults.

Personally, I plan on going out fighting if I can.

EmJay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
think it should be legal?

Personally, I think in the right circumstance a human should have the choice to decide if they wish to end their life. My friend put it quite well saying "We are allowed to help our dogs die, but when it's a human suddenly it's wrong".

Yes...in the Netherlands it already is..

bwhip1011

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Yes. It absolutely should be legal. I've seen too many friends die slow painful deaths unnecessarily. When all other options have been exhausted then the individual should have the choice.

If you don't have a detailed living will then you should create one.

A friend of mine has a very ill parent, they have been told that the parent will not recover and that they will die within the next 6-8 months. My friend obviously found this news very hard to hear and since this time the parents decline has been slow but painful.

What do you think about euthanasia? Do you think it should be legal?

I agree with it - conditionally.

As long as it's what the patient wants (obviously), altho I'm not sure how enough checks and balances could be put in place to ensure there was no potential for abusing the system?

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes - I'm not very good at articulating my feelings so I can't really explain my reasons, but it's something I feel very strongly about. I'm very fortunate that I've never had to deal with a terminal illness in my family or circle of friends, but I'm compassionate enough to believe that allowing a person to suffer to the point of physical and sometimes mental deterioration is inhumane. Allowing an animal to live like that would be considered cruel.

But it has to be the sufferer's choice - whether in a "Living Will" as some other posters have mentioned, or some sort of witnessed declaration.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd love to hear the opinions of someone who doesn't think it should be legal, not so that they can be torn to pieces but so I can see their thought process behind their stance.