Should I come out?

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I first came out, I was scared as well. I thought my parents would kick me out. People would want to jump me. However each and everytime I came out to a friend or family member, it felt like there was a huge weight lifted off of my shoulder. Personaly coming out was a 10 year process for me. I came out to one friend at 16. My parents at 18. More friends and co-workers throughout the year, and finally out now. I do not fear people wanting to attack me, because I am still the same person as before. Unless you are going to make a switch and run around with a rainbow flag taped to your forehead, you shouldnt worry. Any guy that is checking you out because youre gay, isnt checkin you out to beat you up....well maybe in a kinky way. I have more straight guy friends then I do gay. We hang out during the day and play basketball and chill. At night they go out to their clubs, and I go out to mine. Sometimes I even go to straight clubs with them. Don't execpt them to go out to gay clubs. I had a straight friend agree to go to a gay club with me, and the first time he brought his girl and was hugging and kissing her all night to prove his straighness. The second time he came with me he dressed like a bum, and I felt like giving him a paper cup and tell him to wait on the corner. However in time, I met and have gay friends that I can hang out with but my lifestyle hasnt changed becaus I am still the same person.

In regards to the church, I do not know where you live, but if you get in contact with maybe a local gay resource in your area, I am sure you can find a gay friendly church.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
While it can be scarey, it was also the best thing I ever did. I really didn't feel that my "real" life as an adult started until I came out at the age of 30. While it sounds horrible to think that you may loose friends, it really is true that the friends you loose are not your friends and you most likely won't miss them. As your "new" life unfolds you will find many friends too.

I can't comment on job and chruch fears, as I don't have any religious beliefs and live in Canada where our human rights code protects people from being fired for being gay.

You may be surprised.....some people may already suspect.

Good luck,
Novaboy