should i go to the doctors?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Andreas Sukov, Dec 1, 2009.

1. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

because ive slept around 3-4 hours a night for almost a month now. ive tried cutting down caffene, reading, alcohol, baths before bed, anything i can think of to sleep. the fact its 2.20 am niw an i have to be up at 7 shows this isnt good. even after a day when im seriously tired i wont sleep till around 2. whats wierd is when im back in home, i sleep fine, but then again when i am home im up quite late still, just getting up later. my mind is still very active. i mean i find i write alot more at night, like songs etc. what effects me most, is it messes with my studies. although apparently its quite common to be like this, especially in the first few months of uni.

i would go to the doctors but im afraid they will think pfft stupid teenager.

2. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

My doc told me that where she used to just tell her patients to watch their diet and also exercise ... she now tells them that getting enough sleep is just as important.

If you're not sleeping, you're not getting the downtime your body needs. At age 19, you actually still have a few years of important brain development ahead of you. If you're tired but your mind or body won't let you sleep, that's a problem. If you were my son and a doctor told you that (that you're a stupid teenager), I'd get on the phone to him and point out his shortcomings, and then I'd get you do a better doctor.

#2 D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Starting at the university is a major life change and that could conceivably affect your sleep. Have you tried getting more exercise? If you have the opportunity to do this on a daily basis it might help. I find that swimming laps will pretty much put me in a coma that evening.
    Changes in sleep patterns can be an early indicator of a mood disorder, either major depression or, maybe even more specifically, bi-polar disorder. This, to me, is the greatest area of concern.
    You need to ask yourself what a doctor will be able to do. Do you want to take sleep aids? An antidepressant medication named trazodone taken in low doses can really help sleep, but it has the known side effect of priapism (an erection that won't go down and has to be drained, OUCH).
    My suggestion is give it a few more days while keeping a sleep log and exercising. If you find your sleep is decreasing, that is probabaly good reason to see a doctor and you will have data to back up your concern. Good luck in this.
    Dave-

4. D_Andreas Sukov

i do do alot of excercise. not high intensity, but i was around 3 miles or so a day into town for uni and back and everwhere inbetween. i do have a fair ammount of mood swings, and ive suspected bi polar for a while. ahowever i dont think ive ever really displayed mania untill recently, such as not sleeping, writing and working etc. but ill tkae the advice. minus the excercise, i just dont have the time at the minute, with work etc.

5. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Yes go to the Doctor, always go to the Doctor.

6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd go to the Doctor dude. It could just be that because starting Uni can be stressful, you may associate being there with anxiety and stress, which stops you relxing and going to sleep.

Also, if you haven't slept well for a while there, you can begin to associate ur room with wakefulness rather than sleep. Where poss, its a good idea to just use your bedroom for sleep (or wanking lol), so when u go in there your body takes it as a cue.
    Also a good idea to not do too much problem solving or work in the hour or so before bed..do relaxing stuff so you have time to calm down.

Good luck anyway man - it's maybe just caused by a bit of anxiety or depression, and your Doc will probs be able to help. :)

7. luka82

Gold Member

Sweety, when i was your age I had the same problem.:wink:
    U are a TEENAGER!!!!
    It will go away, just embrace it, and not think about it.
    There were weeks when i spent like 15 hours sleeping per week...
    I know, I may not be helping u, but thats how i got rid of it.
    Oh, and i really started enjoying life!:wink:

8. D_Andreas Sukov

i never said i wasnt enjoying life ;) well atleast most of it.

9. D_Tim McGnaw

Yeah but still, go to the Doctor, they can give you drugs.

10. D_Andreas Sukov

11. D_Tim McGnaw

12. speshk

speshk New Member

If you suspect you may be bipolar, you do not want to fuck with drugs or alcohol. See the doctor, educate yourself. Have things in hand early. :smile:

13. D_Tim McGnaw

Exactly don't fuck with drugs get an expert to prescribe them for you and get a decent sleep therapist too.

14. Viking_UK

Gold Member

Are you being kept awake by anything specific? Are you a worrier for instance? If so, I know it sounds a bit silly, but writing down a list of things you're worrying about before going to bed and prioritising them into categories like, "must deal with in the morning" all the way down to "can wait till next week or later" can make quite a difference.

Other things that can help are an evening walk and going straight to bed after a hot drink.

Watching TV can also affect your sleep patterns. Try switching it off an hour before you go to bed (which gives you time to do all of the above too). Dim the lights if you can, and sometimes listening to the same piece of music every night can help too - it's a bit like a child who wants the same bedtime story every night. Another thing that can help is a bedtime wank or shag. Even low-volume background noise can help some people, you know white noise from a detuned radio or a fan running. However, a ticking clock seems to have the opposite effect.

Go to see your doctor anyway. That never does any harm, and will probably set your mind at ease. Don't be fobbed off with a prescription for sleeping pills. If they give you more than a few days' worth to help you resume your normal sleep pattern, you're probably being fobbed off.

You say you've just gone to uni. Is this your first time away from home? If so, it could just be that you're unsettled with the change and will probably get back to normal in time.

Another thing that I was told years ago, which sounds like a load of bs, but seems to work, is the orientation of your bed. If it's in a different place in relation to the door of the room you're used to sleeping in, that can affect some people. Even a different north-south alignment can be a factor. From my own experience, I had trouble sleeping when I first went to uni, but turning my bed so that my feet faced the door seemed to help. It may have just been coincidence or psychology, because I was told about this after about a month of not sleeping well myself. As I say, it could have been coincidence, because that was when I really began to settle down properly and get into a routine, or it could have been the placebo effect of, "If you do this, it will help." I don't know, but it seemed to work for me.

There are also a whole load of relaxation exercises you could try. Slowly tense up every muscle in your body, starting from the toes and working upwards. Take a few minutes over this. Hold the tension for as long as you can and then suddenly release everything.

15. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

sleep problems like this are most often a symptom of something else. unless the "something else" is treated, the symptom will continue. sleep needs vary but this seems like an abnormal condition.

discuss this with a doctor who will probably want to give you a physical.

16. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    if u go to the doc ur going to walk out of there with a script for ambien and tag teamed with an anti-depressant and probably 2 other drugs that the big titted drug rep is fuking the doctor to sell more product to.

I'd try everythign b4 i'd go to the doctor, when u show up at a doctor's office they assume you want them to do something even if the real answer is to do nothing so they're going to give you a drug, and all the side effects that come with it. that's how 90% of all antibiotics end up being wrongly prescribed for colds and things that they won't work on--Joe blow wants a pill to fix his problem.

find a real accupunturist and try that first. a good one can relieve tension and reorganize your body's energy to work the way it's supposed to. within 30 seconds of laying on his table naked with a dozen needles in me my whole body relaxes, and most of the time I'm asleep b4 he comes back to take the needles out. mine is also an herbalist and does cupping and massage in conjunction with accupunture. But unlike western med, u don't just go when you're sick, accupuncture is like preventative maintenance on ur car, it keeps everytying running smoothly, and u have very few breakdowns. it's also a great way to spend 50min (25 front/25back)

17. D_Tim McGnaw

Considering LittleLemon lives in England where Doctors don't operate on the basis you describe at all, I don't think the menace of the big titted Drug rep is so much of a problem.

In any case accupuncture is total and complete bullshit. It operates on entirely unscientific principles none of which can be reliably tested or even shown to have reliable clinical results.

Don't go to a witch doctor, who'll end up prescribing you Bear Bile and Tiger Penis "herbs" at astronomical cost, get a real professional to help you.

18. Opalite

Gold Member

Whenever anything bothers you enough to ask random strangers on the internet for advice medically, It's a good sign you should gave gone to a doctor. After all, they should be able to give the best advice you could get.

The internet can scare people into the most horrid syndroms and conditions, honey I see absolutely no signs of anything bipolar in what you described. I've lived with one for five years.

I do see a stressed out teenager, possibly some minor hormonal imballances and probably a bad diet. Nothing worrying for a guy your age just starting uni!

Do visit your doctor, as he can pinpoint exactly what needs to be changed for you to feel better again, pills arent nearly always the answer (praise european dictors for not beeing as pill-happy as I hear from some overseas friends - no offence!) .

You're a tough little lemon, you'll be okay!

19. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    it wouldn't still be around 3000 yrs later if it were

but it's ok, take a deep breath and spend the afternoon reorganizing your pill box, you'll feel more secure in no time.

20. D_Tim McGnaw

In southwest Africa they've been knocking people unconscious and then hanging them in trees while they cut bits of the off them with knives to make potions for a lot longer than 3000 years, so are you saying that these potions must be really efficacious then ?

As it goes, I do have to take pills, around 1200 mgs in total of two separate drugs, one is an anti-epileptic and the other is an anti-seizure medication, I've been taking them since I was diagnosed with adult onset epilepsy at 17.

If I hadn't been on these medications, properly tested and clinically proven to work, I would probably be dead a long time now and I would have died a pretty miserable death too.

So yes I probably will go and organise my pills because the Tiger penis and Rhino horn and tiny little needles in my skin sure as hell wont keep me from having a brain bleed next time I have a seizure. :rolleyes:

Honestly when will people realise how irresponsible it is to promote supernatural mumbo jumbo over actual clinically proven medicine.

#20 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted