Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I am very unhappy there. I work 4 days a week, 12 or 13 hours a day. I called out sick on Thursday, and dread going in tomorrow.

I am afraid to quit, but I think I should.

What I want to do is move to Florida. I have an apartment and would have to give two months notice, but that is fine because it will take me two months (of not working) to get my shit together. Donate things and throw things away and set up a Uhaul trailer.

I am just not prepared to give notice in 10 days that I am leaving the apartment in two months.

I do have money that I can live on from money that I saved before I moved out of my parents house (many moons ago). In fact I can (retire) bum around for one year when I do move to Florida.

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Don't quit your job until you've got another one.

3. eaglespga88

eaglespga88 New Member

why would you want to move to florida? Theres pros and cons about this state (I have lived all over, Jacksonville, Tampa, and now I currently reside in Pensacola) But unless your job has you working outside alot, or you have family down here or something...theres no point in moving down here. Its getting ridiculous. Just go a little north of here and you can find housing at twice the size but about 25% less than the little bit thats affordable here. And we don't have basements either :/ You mentioned apartments, so housing might not be an issue for you (those are expensive as well when you can find them..it seems almost every apartment in florida is converting to condo's these days) There are many other downsides...dont get me started on the drivers, and certain areas of the state can be very racist. Do good research before you jump up and move down here expecting paradise when and not get that paradise once youve settled down.

4. flaman

flaman New Member

i went through the same thing you are going through years ago. i moved to florida. had no job waiting here. things worked out well. i made the right choice back then. you will too.

5. bstexas

bstexas Member

Albums:
    Spoiled Princess is right. Even if you hate your job and have money, look at job prospects before you quit this one. At least check out the job market in Florida for the type of job you'll need. Can you hold onto the apartment and job for just a little longer and think about your plan?

6. classact1979

classact1979 New Member

Albums:
    I have to object, Eagle. It all depends on which part of the state you're talking about. I'm from the NE section and have always enjoyed living here. But I have traveled to more populated areas, such as the south, and it's downright scary just being on the roads. Jacksonville is not so bad, and there's plenty of suburban areas that are on the major growth path. One such place is Fleming Island, just south of Jacksonville. As a matter of fact, it was voted one of the best places to come to (don't remember the poll, but it had to do with the positive growth, not a downward spiral like most other places)

Now Mem, on the original question of quitting your job, I've always been from the school where you have to enjoy what you do. You spend more time at work than any other aspect of your life. If you don't enjoy it, it will make you old before your time. So, moving's not necessarily the issue. But if you decide to come to Florida, I would welcome you with open arms.

7. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    Was do you do? Remember that skill level is important for job availability.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    If your job is the reason behind your creating numerous pedestrian topics on a daily basis, then yes...by all means, please quit.

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I like the Fort Lauderdale area the best. It is very gay friendly. Anything between Miami and Ft. Laud will be fine, even a little north of there.

I love the beaches in the summer in Florida. In NJ the water is too cold for me even in the summer.

I hate the cold. I get winter depression. It is 18 degrees F outside right now.

I've gone on vacation to Florida almost every year for the past 5 years. I love it. It is my favorite place, much better than Cali.

10. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    I thought we were done with flaming mem.:biggrin1:

11. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Stop being a slave to the man, life is short; live it. Worry about jobs and making money when you have to support a family and really need to work to provide. Take advantage while you are young. I hear the white girls down in Florida got the phatest booties! Get the fuck outta Jersey son!

*sorry didn't see the 99%

12. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

No, it will just mean that I have more time to make more pedestrian topics, whatever that means.

13. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Lets just say it's a blue collar job, not a career. I don't make great money anyway so I think I can make the same in Florida. From what I have been told it's the professionals that earn much less in Florida that they would in my area.

14. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Thanks. The job is making me miserable so I think it is just a matter of time that I quit anyway.

I LOVE Florida. I don't even feel like I am down South when I am there, because it is so modern and cosmopolitan and reminds me a little bit of the good parts of NJ.

15. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I agree with you. I have to live my own life and try to be as happy as I can.

16. B_bobs3304

B_bobs3304 New Member

why are you unhappy?

how much money did you save up?

do you have emotional issues?

~ Ryan

17. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I've been thinking of leaving for a long time. It just seems too hard. i should have left last September.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

19. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Who doesn't have emotional issues? I just get winter depression, and I hate my job. I saved up enough to pay rent here for a few months and live in Florida for a year without having to work.

20. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted