Should large-breasted women pay extra for bras?

B_spotted_duck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Apparently not, in the UK...

Women challenge Marks & Spencer bra pricing policy

LONDON – Busty women have banded together to battle Britain's largest clothing retailer over a surcharge for extra-large brassieres. Frustrated with failed attempts to convince Marks & Spencer to drop a 2 pound ($3) extra charge for sizes DD and larger, the women plan to take their fight to the company's annual meeting.
"They aren't listening to customers, maybe they'll listen to shareholders," said Beckie Williams, a founder of Busts 4 Justice who has purchased a share of M&S stock so she can attend the meeting. "People think it would be great to have big boobs, but it's an emotional issue, it can make you feel isolated, and shopping at Marks & Spencer can make you feel like a freak when they charge you extra."
The group, which has grown to several thousand members via Facebook, seems to have tapped into a reserve of resentment.
"Women have kept this to themselves," Williams said. "The outpouring has to do with women venting their frustration."
Before you rush out and join the facebook group, know that Marks and Spencer gave in on this and the prices are now even... but how do people feel about this?

Dooky

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I say stop crying. you know how many women get SURGERY to have large breasts?!? and lastly, i agree with larger clothing costing more. If you want a 9oz steak it costs more than an 8oz right? why wouldn't the 9oz bra cost more than the 8oz. more materials = more money required. now as for the actual price increase due to the extra materials, that i can't comment on.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
If the bra is in the same style as the AA-D cups then, no, the DD and up sizes should not cost more, that's silly. And £2 on retail is a ridiculous amount to add for the extra material, if that was the original argument.

Larger breasted women do need better bras though. For real support and for a good looking shape my larger breasted friends have always gone to proper underwear sotres and been fitted for a good bra - they don't buy off the shelf, not for everyday wear. They then buy about 4 or 5 of that bra and it is very expensive but bra shopping is done with for the next couple of years. But that's a totally different thing.

I'm glad M&S have folded - if they are going to bother making bras for DD and larger women then they need to welcome those customers, not surcharge them.

Dooky

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If the bra is in the same style as the AA-D cups then, no, the DD and up sizes should not cost more, that's silly. And £2 on retail is a ridiculous amount to add for the extra material, if that was the original argument.

Larger breasted women do need better bras though. For real support and for a good looking shape my larger breasted friends have always gone to proper underwear sotres and been fitted for a good bra - they don't buy off the shelf, not for everyday wear. They then buy about 4 or 5 of that bra and it is very expensive but bra shopping is done with for the next couple of years. But that's a totally different thing.

I'm glad M&S have folded - if they are going to bother making bras for DD and larger women then they need to welcome those customers, not surcharge them.

1) If anything that answer should amount to a big yes! not a big no!
2) I am not aware of the addition that would be. if that is equal to 3 american dollars then honestly that's not much of an increase to the bra's of victorias secrets likes. they sell for 45 bucks a pop.

The middle paragraph doesn't even apply to the OP. he's saying if they are to buy everyday bras of such sizes off the shelves then there will be extra charges assessed, if i'm not mistaking.

My point goes back to the steak argument. maybe ill use cheesburgers this time. what costs the most? Single Cheeseburger, Double cheeseburger or triple cheeseburger? I apologize if i'm missing something and yes i understand nobody wants to spend extra money in these days, but from a business point-of-view it just makes sense to charge extra for larger sizes.

Now, assigning a level in which the price increases also seems unfair. possibly B cups should add a bit, then C's and then finally D's and etc. etc.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
You'll notice in my middle paragraph above I said "But that's a totally different thing."

Material is not meat. The cost of clothing comes from the manufacturing process, sewing the material together, attaching the fastenings, etc. and shipping, packaging type costs. There are no extra fastenings on larger cupped bras, sewing together a DD cup bra and an AA bra is exactly the same process, shipping and packaging costs do not vary either.

It has been a while since I shopped in M&S but I'm guessing the average bra there is between £10 and £20 - so £2 is significant.

Last edited:

Dooky

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You'll notice in my middle paragraph above I said "But that's a totally different thing."

Material is not meat. The cost of clothing comes from the manufacturing process, sewing the material together, attaching the fastenings, etc. and shipping, packaging type costs. There are no extra fastenings on larger cupped bras, sewing together a DD cup bra and a AA bra is exactly the same process, shipping and packaging costs do not vary either.

It has been a while since I shopped in M&S but I'm guessing the average bra there is between £10 and £20 - so £2 is significant.

Well I guess i would not run a very successful bra store if i ran it by my policies :frown1:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the price of shoes and outer clothing does not increase by size.
I say stop crying. you know how many women get SURGERY to have large breasts?!?
you're an idiot. women also pay to have them reduced. large breasts can damage women's health, lives and self esteem.

cew4002

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Someone could argue that AA and A cups are smaller, therefor harder to sew, so they should also have a surcharge. Therefor, why not make them the same price or only make the styles in a larger size so you can charge more.

HorsemanUK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Apparently not, in the UK...

Women challenge Marks & Spencer bra pricing policy

LONDON – Busty women have banded together to battle Britain's largest clothing retailer over a surcharge for extra-large brassieres. Frustrated with failed attempts to convince Marks & Spencer to drop a 2 pound ($3) extra charge for sizes DD and larger, the women plan to take their fight to the company's annual meeting.
"They aren't listening to customers, maybe they'll listen to shareholders," said Beckie Williams, a founder of Busts 4 Justice who has purchased a share of M&S stock so she can attend the meeting. "People think it would be great to have big boobs, but it's an emotional issue, it can make you feel isolated, and shopping at Marks & Spencer can make you feel like a freak when they charge you extra."
The group, which has grown to several thousand members via Facebook, seems to have tapped into a reserve of resentment.
"Women have kept this to themselves," Williams said. "The outpouring has to do with women venting their frustration."
Before you rush out and join the facebook group, know that Marks and Spencer gave in on this and the prices are now even... but how do people feel about this?

Tesco has now also dropped prices and bras are now all the same price for the same styles in all size. Personally I think it makes sense to have all bras the same style the same price regardeless of size. Women who have bigger boobs shouldnt have to pay more just becuase they have larger breasts.

HorsemanUK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Someone could argue that AA and A cups are smaller, therefor harder to sew, so they should also have a surcharge. Therefor, why not make them the same price or only make the styles in a larger size so you can charge more.

I think shops will begin to do this to get round the surcharge issue, instead of making a style in all sizes and charging more for larger sizes, they will begin to make certain styles in only a certain range of sizes so that they can charge more still even though they have got rid of the surcharge.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Descent? I'd have thought you wanted them lifting? (sorry :redface:)

Give me a break, it was 1 am, my head felt like it was going to explode and had just slept 13 hours straight. Im suprised i could see the screen let alone get the words right. But you are right, if i wanted them do descend them i would just buy some cheap nasty bra

D

deleted356736

I used to work in the clothing industry, and the extra cost comes from dis-economies of scale. If you can churn out thousands of A and B-sized garments, they are dirt cheap because the material is all computer cut through multiple layers of fabric. If you churn out very small numbers of DD they ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE TO MAKE, because you have to reset your production facility to produce a relative handful.

The only way you could sell larger-sized bras at the same price as smaller is to (a) cop a loss on them or (b) raise the price on all bras to cover the losses made on the larger-sized ones.

Smaller bras should be no more difficult to make; they're not that tiny.

Last edited by a moderator:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to work in the clothing industry, and the extra cost comes from dis-economies of scale. If you can churn out thousands of A and B-sized garments, they are dirt cheap because the material is all computer cut through multiple layers of fabric. If you churn out very small numbers of DD they ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE TO MAKE, because you have to reset your production facility to produce a relative handful.
boobs are getting bigger though.
yay obesity!!

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
You know, i wouldnt care if i had to pay more for a 32ddd or a 34dd bra. Hell 34d is difficult to find, let alone 34dd. I've been fortunate enough to find one 32ddd bra and only a handful of 34dd. If i could find more in my size i would be happy to pay the extra if it means they are on the shelves.

This is why i just buy large sports bras, just a lot less hassle.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Material is not meat. The cost of clothing comes from the manufacturing process, sewing the material together, attaching the fastenings, etc. and shipping, packaging type costs.
There are no extra fastenings on larger cupped bras,
Hmm, Maybe not in the UK, but in the US there are often 3 to 4 rows of hooks on the back of a D cup and up sized bra. AA, A, and many B cups often just have one hook and eye closure. Some times 2. The reason being, we smaller girls don't need as much support and our bras use much less fabric. I've seen bras with cups so big I could wear it as a hat. :rofl: Damn straight, that bra should cost more.:cool:
*SNIP*.

To have a descent, supportive larger sized bra has always cost more anyway.
It has in the USA, but apparently that is not true everywhere. :confused:

The only way you could sell larger-sized bras at the same price as smaller is to (a) cop a loss on them or (b) raise the price on all bras to cover the losses made on the larger-sized ones.

Smaller bras should be no more difficult to make; they're not that tiny.
NJQT466 looks about nervously, sure that lightning is about to strike her for agreeing with CBRMALE. :eek::biggrin1: