Should the government legalize poly relationships?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_quietguy, Dec 29, 2009.

?

Should the government legalize poly relationships?

1. Yes!

24 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. Nope.

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not sure.

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Government should not regulate relationships.

29 vote(s)
    30.5%
  1. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

Do you think the government should allow a person to legally marry more than one spouse?

2. B_cloverboy

B_cloverboy New Member

I don't think it's a great idea.

3. eyescream

Gold Member

I'm going to have to say that I'm "not sure" about this one. It gets really complicated when kids are involved. I can only imagine kids saying "I have 2 mums and 2 dads".

Also, it seems like the law is supporting the Bible and marriage is according to the Bible so polygamy wouldn't really make sense in that case.

But like everything else these days, it's only a matter of time for everything to be legalized.

4. AcidA

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm gonna have to say no.
    Although I dont think governments should really dictate how people live their lives the legal aspect of it gets very complicated when more then one(two, you know what I mean) spouse is involved, for example with kids & custody etc.

5. Notaguru2

Gold Member

6. ConstantComment

ConstantComment New Member

The prinicple here is to have as few moving trgets as possible. The government has been asked to get involved in people's personal lives when they start splitting up and splitting up assets. And that involvement was apparently welcomed.

7. afer10

afer10 New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, divorce would be much more messier when assets have to get split up, let alone the kids...

That and there are very few historical accounts of women with multiple husbands, more often it's the other way round. Meaning that it's designed to generally benefit rich males who want to spawn in multiple women... gross...

8. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Guys can already do that without getting married!

9. dolfette

Gold Member

yes.

it's none of the gov's business who you marry, provided it's not abusive {eg. minors}.
    and it pisses me off that the law is used to force everyone, regardless of faith, to conform to christian rules/norms.
    no faith owns the concept of marriage.

10. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

No. Marriage, by law, is a business contract. Has nothing to do with love. Although people like to think it does.

I voted that goverment should not regulate relationships. Relationships are different than marriage.

11. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

No, most people can't even manage being married to one person let alone multiple people.

12. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Not before they legalise gay 'marriage'.

Poly relationships are not illegal exactly are they, it is legally recognised poly relationships that just are'nt allowed.

13. dingdong

dingdong Member

it would get complicatied when one person dies, and there are two people contesting for their Will

14. scottredleter

scottredleter New Member

Albums:
    What the F business is it of the government? It's just like China dictating how many children you can have. And besides that... the government is not capable of stopping any of this stuff. If I want to have 15 partners, then I'm going to have 15 partners. If I want to marry my boyfriend, then I'm going to marry my boyfriend... I don't care if the government approves of it or not. Stop looking to the government for approval. they are incapable of giving it. All they should be doing is governing (ie: fixing the roads, protecting us from invaders, shoveling snow...) they are simply (and I mean that word literally) public servants.

15. dolfette

Gold Member

marriage is indeed a contract.

and it is precisely for that reason that it should be allowed for anyone who chooses. marriage offers legal rights ant protection when it comes to medical consent, property rights, etc.

partners of 20 years have been turned away from their loved one's death bed because without that contract they have no rights.

loving partners have been evicted from property by estranged children after their lover's death.

it is not for a politician to decide that two or more consenting adults cannot be allowed to create these contracts.

marriage is found in every part of the world, in a vast number of faiths...there are tribes in the wilderness who have never heard of jesus who still have marriage ceremonies and consider it a type of contract.

personally, i'm never going to marry because the whole deal makes my skin crawl. but i still believe that everyone should have the right.

16. Joseph

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I did learn from some people in relationships like that, that it's not so bad and I don't think it should be forbidden.

17. houtx48

Gold Member

maybe with henry the 8th, he took the power of marriage away from the church and it's been downhill ever since. poly marriage has be acceptable in many cultures, it's not like it's a new idea.

18. BigrThnSom

BigrThnSom New Member

Yeah, I dont see why not. Kinda like Dolfette, I have no desire to get married... it's just a piece of paper and a day out to me lol. But if people who do value it want to get married, who am I to say no to that! :)

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I would be for it, provided that people in poly relationships aren't entitled to additional tax benefits. That's essentially what the rite of "marriage" is all about, minus all of the religious hoopla. It would be really messy (if not hypocritical) to watch a man claim multiple spouses to get bigger tax breaks when two men or women who love each other cannot.

20. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Anybody ever hear of a thing called "religious cult"?

Draft saved Draft deleted