Should the south secede from the U.S?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dave NoCal, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    It seems like a majority there wants to. What would the country be like without FL, GA, AL, SC, NC, VA, TX, AL, MS, WV, OK (give or take a few)? Maybe Austin could be relocated. It's not THAT big and a cool place.
    Dave

#1 Dave NoCal, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Erm pretty much the same, just an extra bit divided.

3. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

I actually think it's a small minority that would like to secede. The government wont let that happen, though. They'll just have to deal with it.

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    NO! You're much more powerful and influential as part of the US.
    Would southern states be able to make their presence felt on the world stage as much as they can through the US?

PS: While we're at it, I think the UK should stay together, too. But not be part of a United Europe (for many reasons).

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I'd love to know who this majority is that you're alluding to. Besides, I believe we've been down this road once already.

6. Onslow

Gold Member

Didn't the south do this secession thing back in the 1800s? As I recall it was followed by a dreadful and bloody war before the south reunited with the north. {yes, I have left out a few details}

7. watwatwat

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The majority here does not want to secede, thanks. The few states in the union who seem to have their shit together as far as general fiscal responsibility just kind of wish the rest would get their act together.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

They cannot have Florida... at least South Beach & Downtown Miami. Sorry seceders, that belongs to us!!!

Any place that features nonstop techno with 24 hour liquor licenses should always be in our control. We will have a civil war for that small piece of land.

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I lived there (a few years ago), have family and old friends there. I never met anyone who seriously wanted to secede. Oh ,the good ole boyz yap, but that all it is. I reckon plenty of folks wish the South hadn't lost the War Between the States, but that's just fantasy stuff.

10. houtx48

Gold Member

the only one that wants to leave the union is the ankle biting Rick "goodhair" Perry and thats only to get his name in print.

11. Blagoblog

Blagoblog Member

If they did that would be a good thing for social progress

the remaining part of the Union would instantly be more intelligent and progressive on average, and we'd still have a good shot of re-conquering the newly independent South and liberating its people from more of the shackles of social conservatism

12. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Q. Should the south secede from the U.S?

A. No.

Some of the posts in this thread are outrageous.

13. invisibleman

Gold Member

Man. I love America as it is.

Secession sounds like some old prejudices of some powerful peeps are coming to roost.

14. midlifebear

Gold Member

Austin?! LOL! As an alumus of UT Austin, I remember "native" citizens of Austin lamenting "Texas: it's not the West, it's not the South and it's a bad imitation of both."

Yeah, since tearing down the Armadillo Center . . . relocate Austin --- to Beaumont! (That's a place in Texas and an inside Texas joke.)

#14 midlifebear, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Yeah - join Mexico.

16. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

All right then. Maybe the North and West should secede, leaving the South with creationism and the deficit; maybe they had it all backwards 150 years ago.

I'm a proud Southerner, but more nostalgic for the days when Virginia was the philosophical and intellectual leader of the Colonies. House of Burgesses, Madison, Monroe, Jefferson, Washington, Wythe, Henry, Marshall... the list is almost endless.

I often wonder what the US would be like if it were to divide regionally into 2, 3 or 4 countries. Would one be more like Canada? One more like Australia? One more like the racist Scots-Irish reactionary mongrels that later settled it and still think it's 1830? Hmmm.

17. B_Mister Buildington

I can't foresee anything bad coming of the south trying to secede.

18. maxcok

Gold Member

Should the south secede from the U.S?
    Sure, we're just a bunch of ignorant gun-totin, moonshine-chuggin, bible-bangin, cousin-fukin, toothless hillbillies livin in leaky single-wides with plumbin in the backyard. Not. We just let you think that cause it's actually pretty good here, all things considered, and we don't want to be overrun by a bunch of rude-ass Yankees and left coast loonies.

Having spent roughly half my life in the South and half in California, as well as travelling extensively throughout the country, I could be an expert on this. At least in my humble opinion. There is not that much difference between red, blue and purple states when you get right down to it. With some exceptions, the margins are pretty slim. There are ignoramuses and rednecks everywhere, even on the Left Coast, as I can well testify.

I wonder where you came up with your premise, NoCal? Frankly, I'm surprised. And a little bit disappointed.

Fine by me if Alabama wants to go. It's the armpit of the universe, no offense to armpits. But keep Burminham, Burminham be cool.

#18 maxcok, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  19. maxcok

Gold Member

p.s.
    Hey, I just noticed. How come Tennessee didn't make your list? Or Loosiana for that matter?
    Maybe cause you like our music? Or do you need to brush up on your geography?

#19 maxcok, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  20. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted