Should we ban Tobacco advertisements?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rommette, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think we should. It promotes the idea that smoking is cool and that you'll be in a good club scene being accepted by everyone. These advertisements do nothing good. Then they put the Surgeon General's Warning in plain black and white. A long time ago there was a study done and scientists found out more children knew who Joe Camel was than Mickey Mouse. Below is an advertised poster for Camel Cigarettes.

Attached Files:

2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You realize that Joe Camel hasn't been used in tobacco advertisements for more than 12 years, right?

3. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

I use to see Joe Camel billborards all time back then. life was good back then :(

4. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So I take it you would be for banning beer commercials? Ultimately it is up to the channels/networks in my opinion. If they feel it is appropriate, or think the money is more important than the viewers, that is their choice. Only idiots fall for that crap anyways.

Edit: Add magazines to the people who it is up to (because the picture is obviously from one). Since when do kids read magazines anyways? They have coloring books and Harry Potter. Unless we are talking about teenagers. In that case they should be smart enough to not fall for it, and if they aren't something else will get them I'm sure.

#4 Pendlum, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, if people want to smoke tobacco, why should I care? It's a free country, although I would say that advertising targeting non-minors should be prohibited.

On the other hand, I don't want my healthcare system paying for lung cancer treatment for lifelong smokers. That shit is expensive.

6. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    duh! which is why i brought up the study about the kids

7. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Yes they should be banned.

It is a stupid state of affairs that government launches anti smoking campaigns which 'counter' advertising instead of just banning advertising, they would save some cash on the ad campaigns then.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since you're aware of the rulings regarding advertising targeted toward minors (which makes one wonder, then, why you'd post that image as an illustration), I'm just curious exactly what you're proposing to ban...?

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agree.

10. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Smoking advertising has been banned in the UK for some time. It's not really had much of an effect either way, in my opinion.

11. StrictlyAvg

StrictlyAvg Member

Tobacco advertising is pretty much outlawed in the EU. Cigarette ads in particular have been off our screens for nearly as long as I can remember; cigar ads were around for a fair bit longer though these were outlawed through the noughties. Tobacco sponsorship of sporting events is pretty much outlawed in most places.
    Give or take very small brand ads at the point of sale, there's not much left to ban other than the point of sale itself.
    I believe the situation in the USA is not much different.

What exactly is it you're proposing to ban?

12. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not really. Marlboro, as an example, is -- or was, anyway; I don't know if anything's changed -- sponsoring Ferrari F1, and ended up running many races without a single decal of of their name anywhere on the cars. Here in the US, Penske Racing's Indy cars still have their Marlboro-themed red-and-white paint schemes and only recently quit displaying "Marlboro" on the body.

There are still tobacco ads in magazines and such, but they're not allowed to show people actually smoking. I can't even tell if the cigarettes are lit.

Do I think the ads should be banned altogether? Frankly, I hardly care -- but I'm not one who should be asked the question. I've never liked smoking. Neither have my parents, which I suspect has a lot to do with my distaste for it. Plus, you can't spend a day without hearing from several sources that smoking is bad for you.

Smokers are told every day that they should quit, yet they persist. And, like flame boy said, advertising bans have hardly made any difference in other parts of the world.

13. StrictlyAvg

StrictlyAvg Member

Motorsport wangled an extension deal with the EU on sponsorship, but are about the last bastion of sports that will still associate with tobacco. That's about where motorsport is at worldwide I think - the tobacco money is still permitted but there are almost no places where the brand name is allowed to be displayed, and even if they are the team (e.g. Ferrari) doesn't display it. 2007 was the last time I saw logos.

14. StrictlyAvg

StrictlyAvg Member

15. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Right -- I think I've seen brand names more recently, but it was in Qatar or Abu Dhabi or someplace like that, far out of the EU's jurisdiction. Ferrari almost looked like they were wearing retro, "throwback" livery, appearing as they did in the 1980's. :biggrin1:

16. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    very true...lol

I'm proposing the ban tobacco advertisements all together
    Thanks alot for the link....seems the EU has tighter restrictions. In the US they still are allowed billboards.

17. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

minors aren't allowed to purchase tobacco products until they reach 18 years old. I have never seen/heard any tobacco advertisements being directed at an audience of youngsters.

If a kid is watching a Nascar race I don't think he's gonna want to light up a cig because there is a Marlboro logo on the hood of a car.

In our society, kids are taught - at a young age - about the perils and dangers of using tobacco. I don't think we need the gov't jumping in and mandating advertising policy. They've already got their disgusting hands in too much of our lives as it it.

18. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    its sad really...teens are smoking more these days than when I was in high school. Personally, I despise smoking. My old roommate...her father died of lung cancer, and yet, she smoked like a train. Go figure. I really do not understand why anyone would even want to smoke. For the record... I won't mess around with anyone who smokes... no matter how hot or hung they are. I'd rather jerk myself off and take a nap. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted