Should women always have to be ladies?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by sumbodii, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sumbodii

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Unwashed hair, chewing gum, tattoos... Is this Wimbledon or Glastonbury? | Mail Online

If it had been a man who'd written this artilce I could have just written it off as some grandpa with his panties in a bunch like one of the comments suggested, but since it appears to be a woman I just wanted to know what the ladies on this site think and maybe give their opinions on how much of a requirement it is to act lady-like at any given time you are in public.

N.B.: I'm assuming the person who wrote this is a woman (just from the name, so I could be wrong).

2. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    For the benefit of those not in the UK, the Mail is a disgusting, self-serving, hate-fueled, rabble-rousing rag. My advice is to not even give them the page-view they're after.

3. sumbodii

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I agree with you, but it doesn't stop you from being a twat.

5. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I hate to rag on a thread so much in the first reply, but the Mail is largely written and read by anachronistic shit-hawks, and as a rule of thumb, any views they express are founded on hate and fear of the different.

I doubt their article is worth discussing as such, because I don't think it needs to be said that you should be able to act how you want as long as it doesn't affect other people.

Oh and check out Richard Littlejohn for some fantastic Daily Mail gold.

#5 Endued, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Women shouldn't always be ladies and ladies shouldn't always be women

7. Intrigue

Intrigue New Member

Albums:
    ^useless bibble babble.

8. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I rely on useless bibble-babble; it's my livelihood!

9. Intrigue

Intrigue New Member

Albums:

Hey, gotta make a living... :cool:

10. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Exactly, good sir. Exactly. :cool:

11. dolfette

Gold Member

^^this

12. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    the only thing ill agree with is the manners.

i didnt read the whole thing, they glanced over the one real issue and stuck with "OMG look at what shes wearing"

seriously? this isnt the girls getting together in their tennis outfits to go drink tea at the country club.

13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Mmmmhhhh sweaty gussets..........

14. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    If all women were ladies they would get a hell of alot more respect (excluding of course professions like mma, tattoo artist, ect).

15. Intrigue

Intrigue New Member

Albums:

So tattoo artists don't or couldn't benefit from being a lady? I don't see how one excludes the other. Maybe I'm reading too much into your post.

16. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I myself am most comfortable when either: Naked, in my PJs, or in Victorian styled goth outfits. Those outfits (yes, I'm including naked as an outfit!) are rarely considered appropriate, so I default to some form of formal office wear where possible, and jeans and a top if I absolutely have to (like today, there's no way in hell I'm standing for 7 hours in the sun, in a suit... I'd die!)

I have 1 tattoo, which I specifically chose to have somewhere I could hide without issue should I need to, and over the years I've had upwards of 20 piercings, most of which I have since taken out.

If I only had myself to consider, I would dress how I liked, when I liked, but I have children and a husband, and my behaviour reflects on them.

As for chewing gum, I'd happily have that outlawed, or at the very least outlawed for all those who couldn't do it quietly with their mouths shut!

Having said all that, I appreciate that my opinion differs greatly to popular opinion today, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me. Likewise, I'd never attempt to convince others that they should behave the way I do. I make every effort not to judge those who behave differently, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (it never works with noise gum chewers!)

I don't however think any of the above, has anything to do with being a lady, but I guess everyone has a different view of what it takes to be a lady, and I certainly couldn't be any further from my idea of one!

Now, stop reading the mail and making me respond to thinks written by the mail... It made me feel dirty!

17. B_doogie888

B_doogie888 New Member

I'm pretty liberal when it comes to how women dress and present themselves, but I think it's disgusting and a turn off when a woman audibly burps or farts.

18. sumbodii

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thank you for the heads up, it goes a long way in explaining the article although I'd like to know whether normal people think it is okay to have certain expectations of people just because they are female (would it be a big deal if it were guys doing those exact same things?). I only included those links to show how people can be judged by the public eye, maybe I should have just found a better way to phrase the question :redface:

That's what I thought.

Don't quote me on this but I think historically women who conformed to what society deemed lady-like only got as much respect as the men saw fit to give them (e.g. in the Victorian era female authors had to hide themselves behind male aliases for any of their work to be taken seriously... and there was the whole vote thing). Ladies had to get rather unlady-like in some countries to get the respect they wanted. (Women's suffrage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Also, since these are serious professional tennis players would you say it's okay to excuse this behavior from them?

Thanks for the answer, address my question nicely.

Would it be funny if it was your buddy? To be honest my gf never farted in my presence but it can be funny when she burps out loud. Same thing for my female friends. But when my male buddies fart out loud it's always hilarious (so long as I'm not trapped with it).

19. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    They could potentially but not being a lady wouldnt necessarily negatively affect you in those professions

That is a moot point considering everybody only gets as much respect as others choose to give them. Behaving in a certain manner is simply conducive to gaining the respect of others.

#19 Gecko4lif, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  20. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I think what you're saying is that there are select professions where depending on circumstances, it really wouldn't make a difference one way or the other?

For example, your typical male dominated tattoo parlour wouldn't think twice about hiring a somewhat less ladylike woman, as most of the customers are likely to be men who are far less judgemental when it comes to women covered in tats, piercings and the likes... It may even make the men more comfortable that seeing a pretty lady with a single pair of earings, and a little star tattoo on her shoulder.

Likewise, there are plenty of female dominated tattoo parlours (well, there are here at least) and the majority of their customers are female, looking for a pretty little butterfly (before I'm shot for that... I'm talking about the ones local to me, the ones I have experience of and have spent many an hour browsing their books) and being more ladylike is likely to be preferable as it would more than likely put other women at ease?

Draft saved Draft deleted