Should women be in the military?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_spiker067, Dec 21, 2009.

1. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

#1 B_spiker067, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. pussnboots

pussnboots New Member

Didn't read where the military was AGAINST women in the military...did you read the article? It's against, and not 'it' but one general...which has it's own discussion about creditability of the report ....anyway, one general making it clear, sorta, that women who get pregnant and cough, cough, the men that get them pregnant, will be jailed for some period of time not outlined.

Problem? How to enforce? How to know who knocked who up? HIPPA regulations?

This is more a sad attempt to stem a break in a dam with a toothpick then a real issue...

3. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

I didn't read where I said they were?

I said that the argument against women being in the military before they were taken in to the scope they are now is materializing. Primarily that there would be elicit affairs and pregnancies that would disrupt good order [especially in combat zones].

#3 B_spiker067, Dec 21, 2009
  4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The rate that our Nation is starting to backpedal on certain civil rights issues, I wouldn't be surprised if an article praising segregation materialized within the next year. :rolleyes:

5. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

Why is there back pedaling (and a concrete example would be interesting)?

6. D_Smidley Smelliepits

D_Smidley Smelliepits Account Disabled

Another good reason not to join the army, maybe?

7. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    spiker, I think you gave yourself away in your initial post. It definitely sounded like you didn't want gays or women in the military. If you're ready to make assumptions, knock yourself out. But don't act like those two articles should mean anything to the rest of us.

And I'd have to agree with Vinyl about the civil rights issues what with gays losing their fight to have the right to marry in several states and Obama looking to extend the Patriot Act. Not to mention that justice of the peace denying interracial marriage and the things alot of conservative talking heads have said lately about abortion, gay rights, segregation and slavery.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Well, let's see. Several bouts of indirect, institutionalized racism towards our President and our first Latino Supreme Court Justice. Religious zealots using their money, power & influence to continue the denial of civil rights for gay & lesbian people... never mind indirectly influencing measures in other countries to legalize the killing of someone for being gay. Politicians constantly taking shots at Roe v. Wade by injecting anti-Abortion provisions to a health care bill. Now someone wants to question whether women should be in the military in fear that they might get pregnant?

Yeah... the wheels are a rollin' backwards. Not saying this about you personally, of course.

#8 B_VinylBoy, Dec 21, 2009
  9. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dear VB:

I have it on good authority that outbreaks of the year 1957 are occurring all over the USA. If not contained, 'Mericuhns will once again be brain washed to believe that a dollop of Miracle Whip on top of a square of J-ELLO is a real salad! Wimmins are starting to wear girdles again and the lady's white glove industry shows signs of a revival. Yikes!

As for women in the military? What's wrong with that?

10. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    yeah, talk about 1957.......

i got a question:

why aren't girls required to register with selective service like guys have to when they turn 18?

women have been in the military in some capacity since ww2 right? why shouldn't there be compulsory service required of them too in the case of a national defense during wartime?

or do they only seek equality when it's a good thing?

any response, women?

11. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

well the post asks that...and you wrote the post.....

12. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    OMG! Like we write the rules for comp. service! Geesh, go after the right people, and you got it! BINGO -- men wrote those rules! LMAO so if you want to know why a law is a certain way, check in on the men that wrote the freaking law! (outdated and antiquated as it is)

But, yes, to answer in a nicer way, women should have to register. Makes absolutely no sense to only have men register for comp. service. Most military jobs are not in DANGER zones, ie, no man has to worry that -- gasp! -- a woman might be hurt in front of them. It's okay for their buddy, but not a woman...again, geesh! I am really, really uptight over this, sorry, but I hate it when men complain about Comp. Service and compare it somehow to women not being liberal. It's not a valid argument. If you were to look, just peek in the stats on how many women hold office, versus men, you'd get it that women don't have the same power as men.

And, for that matter, look at if a woman is in the military how many jobs are with held from her simply due to her sex.

sorry, I sound harsh, but nothing gets my pressure up like this kind of debate....

13. Principessa

Gold Member

I think that only the women who want to be there should be there.
    I have yet to see it proven that women make bad soldiers. I don't like the idea of a draft which would include all women from 18-40. Mainly because I am way too much of a girly-girl to field strip a rifle in the rain and green is not my color.

I knew you loved Jello Salad! :biggrin1: I was right to send you a subscription to Ladies Home Journal for Christmas. :cool: They always have the best Jello Salad recipes. Some times they are exotic and use shaved carrots and sour cream! :eek: :smile:

As for girdles, they never went out of style for the well bred woman who knows she needs proper foundation garments.

I have been known to pull out my white cotton gloves for Easter Sunday.

14. D_Smidley Smelliepits

Maybe because they were supposed to stay at home and look after the house/children/family... (not saying I agree with this, obviously).

How about the compulsory service wasn't compulsory? Maybe that would be the solution...

15. Principessa

Gold Member

16. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    oh i totally agree,

i know men wrote those rules but men also wrote the rules for corporate america and the rules that excluded women from voting, that didn't stop women from coming along and changing those rules! there are several hawkish women in the senate who could introduce a bill changing that but they dont', it's like its untouchable. and it's not a question u hear much about

i was going to flame u but u totally redeemed urself in your next paragraph. you and i don't have an argument.

and the best way to knock down discrimination against women in the military is to be there in numbers ...get goin girls.

happy christmas.

17. D_Smidley Smelliepits

But why should it be compulsory for women? I agree there is discrimination, but don't agree with the solution

18. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

19. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    because it's compulsory for men, and it's the 21st c.

the military will continue to be 100% voluntary so i look at the SS registration as symbolic more than anything , so it shou'ndt be a big deal to add women to the registry, but it's still stuck in the 1950s.

20. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:

Draft saved Draft deleted