Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Definition: (wikipedia definition) Planking is done by placing the arms down by one's side and laying rigid somewhere and then taking a picture for others to enjoy.

theage.com.au said:
Planking involves participants laying flat on their stomach
So now even the newspapers don't know how to use the verbs "lie" and "lay"?

By the way, the Wikipedia article actually says: "Planking is the action of lying face down with arms to the sides, in unusual public spaces and photographing it." At least the person who wrote that understands the difference.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So now even the newspapers don't know how to use the verbs "lie" and "lay"?

By the way, the Wikipedia article actually says: "Planking is the action of lying face down with arms to the sides, in unusual public spaces and photographing it." At least the person who wrote that understands the difference.
First off, where's your picture? :biggrin1:

Secondly...
Lie, lied, lying - a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive
Lay, laid, laying - to put or place in a horizontal position or position of rest
:confused:

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lie, lied, lying - a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive
Lay, laid, laying - to put or place in a horizontal position or position of rest
:confused:
Correct; and neither gloss fits what you were saying. You meant "to be at rest in a horizontal position," i.e., "to lie."

"Lay" is a transitive verb: one lays something or someone (down, or on something). Examples: "Lay down the law." "Now I lay me down to sleep."

"Lie" is an intransitive verb: one lies (down) on something. "I need to go lie down." "It is lying on the floor." Are there really English-speaking people who don't know this?

Last edited:

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Correct; and neither gloss fits what you were saying. You meant "to be at rest in a horizontal position," i.e., "to lie."

"Lay" is a transitive verb: one lays something or someone (down, or on something). Examples: "Lay down the law." "Now I lay me down to sleep."

"Lie" is an intransitive verb: one lies (down) on something. "I need to go lie down." "It is lying on the floor." Are there really English-speaking people who don't know this?
Do you have any more off-topic grammar lessons for us?

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media

You are, of course, quite correct. That said, I think it is the most common mistake in the English language, along with "could of" & "bored of".

You lay something else down, whereas people lie down all by themselves.

Don't tell Bob Dylan or Eric Clapton fans though.:wink: (Lie Lady Lie - it doesn't scan so well, & can certainly have a double meaning, eh?).

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK... face down, arms at side; since it's dangerous I started at home and used pillows for protective head cover. I'll work my way up eventually! :laugh2:

Attachments