Showering At The Gym

noew34

Experimental Member
Cammer
Media
I've also often had to wonder every time these same posts come up where the hell people are working out at. Every gym I've seen including mine has separate showers with curtains so no one is standing next to someone.
The mid west ymcas thst I have seen around here still have communial showers , and some state parks have a single curtain in the showers or beach area stall making it dumb to try and dry off to change behind it.

MarriedGuyinKY

Expert Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I use the showers at the gym because I usually go on a lunch break. Many friends from work use the same gym.

My usual: if chatting with a friend, I just go about my business, strip down and then head to the shower. No invitation but if he uses the same room (we have two open shower rooms), we chat and I don’t try to act different.

After all, it’s only a shower!

hotheadguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
As an older guy I can't relate to this discussion and wonder why the younger generation have such hang-ups about being seen naked by other guys, or about seeing them naked.

In my day communal nudity was very commonplace and totally normal. Open showers at school change rooms and at most colleges, even most non-school gyms. I went to a well-known and respected east coast college and grad school where if you wanted to swim in the pool at the men's gym, it was naked or not at all. So some guys were well endowed, others less so, some skinny, some flabby, and a few had physiques we might have envied. But it was all so very normal, and no "towel dancing".. Friends saw one another naked, and so did roommates.They didn't flaunt their nudity, but didn't go to great lengths to hide it. I don't believe that there was much staring. But I think we accepted that while we are all different, ultimately we are all equipped in much the same way. No big deal.

I never served in the army, but know that nudity amongst one's peer group in the showers was also totally normal.

So why have today's men become so ashamed of what nature has endowed us with?

8inchPole

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I wasn’t working from home, I would meet up with my friend/ coworker before work and we wouldn’t have time to drive home and shower. We tried to avoid any awkward, naked interactions. But after enough time went by, we began to care less about it. Eventually we were comfortable naked around each other.

Theo0152

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I always shower after game or workout with a friend or my sons..all is natural and just shower and chat like any other time. One gym is an open shower room another is more private but drying off and walking around is always fine. I see many younger men 20's or so keep a towel on even when pulling up their underwear...Just how we were brought up I guess.

RareD

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
At my gym, I almost always shower when done for multiple reasons. Usually I workout alone these days but when I was taking mostly group exercise classes, everyone gets done at the same time and hits the shower, including family members or friends I had made through the gym. It's a shower - I know some people have an aversion but to others it is just the act of cooling off and cleaning up. The gym has one shower room, and it is a family friendly place. No cruising. I definitely talk to people in the shower, but then I talk a lot anyway.

Theo0152

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

jtheimpaler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Whether it’s football rugby or the gym, I go to my locker get my towel out strip down and go shower…. Not sure there’s a conversation to be had…. If he’s showering cool, if he ain’t he ain’t…. I don’t hold the shower next to me for him though if that’s what your getting at….

Reactions: Gj816 and NWAthlete

NWAthlete

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As an older guy I can't relate to this discussion and wonder why the younger generation have such hang-ups about being seen naked by other guys, or about seeing them naked.

In my day communal nudity was very commonplace and totally normal. Open showers at school change rooms and at most colleges, even most non-school gyms. I went to a well-known and respected east coast college and grad school where if you wanted to swim in the pool at the men's gym, it was naked or not at all. So some guys were well endowed, others less so, some skinny, some flabby, and a few had physiques we might have envied. But it was all so very normal, and no "towel dancing".. Friends saw one another naked, and so did roommates.They didn't flaunt their nudity, but didn't go to great lengths to hide it. I don't believe that there was much staring. But I think we accepted that while we are all different, ultimately we are all equipped in much the same way. No big deal.

I never served in the army, but know that nudity amongst one's peer group in the showers was also totally normal.

So why have today's men become so ashamed of what nature has endowed us with?

I've been wondering this same thing. I just don't understand it. I had a similar upbringing as you did with communal, open showers in middle school and high school gym class. And showering was required, not optional. I remember being uncomfortable with it briefly in 6th grade, but I quickly got over it. It's not like being shy for the first few weeks in the gym showers in middle school fucked up my life or anything. I got over it. Simple as that. On to college, the dorm showers were also open. And I went to an expensive, private university. It was just common. All those years of showering with guys of all shapes and sizes (some were friends too), I guess it just made me not care at all about being naked around other guys. I don't even think twice about it at the gym now. But I see, almost daily, guys in their 20s and 30s in the open showers wearing boxer briefs or workout shorts, soaping up and everything. It makes me wonder what happened to make them so afraid of showering without wearing clothing. Not a judgement, I just don't relate to it or understand it.

Theo0152

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've been wondering this same thing. I just don't understand it. I had a similar upbringing as you did with communal, open showers in middle school and high school gym class. And showering was required, not optional. I remember being uncomfortable with it briefly in 6th grade, but I quickly got over it. It's not like being shy for the first few weeks in the gym showers in middle school fucked up my life or anything. I got over it. Simple as that. On to college, the dorm showers were also open. And I went to an expensive, private university. It was just common. All those years of showering with guys of all shapes and sizes (some were friends too), I guess it just made me not care at all about being naked around other guys. I don't even think twice about it at the gym now. But I see, almost daily, guys in their 20s and 30s in the open showers wearing boxer briefs or workout shorts, soaping up and everything. It makes me wonder what happened to make them so afraid of showering without wearing clothing. Not a judgement, I just don't relate to it or understand it.
Similar for me and see those guys at the gym being so shy...

new2day

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Never had to pose such a question, I've always showered after a workout/sports whether I'm alone, with friends or work colleagues. Used to play lots of sports with workmates and we'd all shower together in the open gang showers. Some say it's a little odd seeing workmates naked, I've never felt uncomfortable about doing something so normal and natural!