Showers after sport

Alex Sommers

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Interesting. It must be a generational thing because when I was younger, a guy was called gay if he wouldn't get naked and shower with the other guys. I'm in my early 50s.

Well, I find those guys a bit effeminate to be sure. Real men don't give a shit. That doesn't mean they are exhibitionists, but they're not going to freak out just because another guy saw them without clothes.

AverageJim

Sexy Member
Media
Back in high school I wanted to join the cross country team. But my only way home was the school bus. Home was 20+ miles from school. Freshmen year we all has PE class after lunch. Showering was necessary before going to the next class. We had a good size gang shower but it was still hurry up to finish before the next class bell. I do remember some of my classmates already had chest hair. Me, I was the skinny twink back then. After High School, I went right into the work force. About half the time I had a gym membership. Buddies and I never thought too much about showering together. I'd say we were pretty relaxed about nudity. Back in my 30's I lived farther north and regularly ran at lunch with a small group. Our gym was 2 blocks from work, we'd run a 4 mile loop, 2 miles out then 2 miles back to the gym. We'd shower at the gym before heading back to our desks. On running days, I'd eat lunch at my desk since I'd used up my lunch hour. That downtown gym was really relaxed about nudity. There was an open shower, you didn't really have a choice unless you wanted to use the handicapped stall. There was a sunken whirlpool adjacent to the shower area. I remember running even in the winter as long as the sidewalks were clear and the temp was above 25 degrees. Slipping into that whirlpool nude after a cold run was great. The hot water and bubbles usually gave me an erection which didn't always go down before I had to walk to the showers. I noticed it happened to a few other guys too. I usually tried to use the whirlpool after my work buddies were headed back to their lockers. I'm sure they must have seen me a time or two, but no one teased me about it. Yes some of the guys in the gang shower got a good look too. I never really put on a show for them and usually had gone soft before my shower was done. Fast forward to now. I'm in my early 60's and try to get to the gym 4-5 times a week. I usually walk 3 very fast miles around the track then slow down with some stretching exercises. I use the weight machines from time to time. I can't do a lot of the free weight stuff because of spinal injury. If I'm not running late for work, 10 minutes in the steam room is heaven. It helps my back and relaxes me, then I finish up with my shower. I consider my post workout hot shower to be a reward for getting up early. The hot water is plentiful and I take full advantage of it. My gym has 4 shower cubicles, doesn't ever look like it was gang style. There are a couple of small signs advising the men to wear shorts in the sauna and steam room. I usually follow the rules, but not always. I'd prefer to sit in the sauna nude, but I'm not looking to make waves. If there aren't a lot of guys back in the wet area, I like to step into the sauna after my shower. Love to dry off in that heated space, especially after cold weather sets in. Sometimes a guy or two will be in the sauna. I usually say "Good Morning, I'll dry off and be out of here in 60 seconds". One morning as I was leaving the sauna after drying off, I heard a guy in the sauna tell his buddy "I guess that's one way to get dry". All I thought is Dude, haven't you ever seen a dick before? Me and some of the regulars chat away in the locker area as we get dressed. One guy gave me a heads up one morning. I was walking nude back to my locker. He saved me from flashing flashing the cleaning lady. (Why does our gym have women cleaning the mens locker room?) Most of the men in the morning are 40's-70's and not terribly shy about nudity. i do notice the towel dance routine from some of the young guys. And of course there are a few guys I've seen nude where I thought I can't un-see that. Plenty of people can't help their weight, but if I ever get obese there's no chance I'm going to parade around to show off.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Interesting. It must be a generational thing because when I was younger, a guy was called gay if he wouldn't get naked and shower with the other guys. I'm in my early 50s.

I know, that is what my Dad and Uncle say, its a sad state of affairs...………….

IEdesertGuy

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No one used the showers when I was in high school 20 years ago.
Now I'm a sub janitor. Glamerous I know. But I work in a much bigger school district a bit away. 3 high schools. Big focus on sports. None of them use the showers. Football, baseball, soccer, track, wrestling. Any of them. After practice or games. They rinse their feet off sometimes. Especially the women. Just to make a mess I think. Turn on the shower and bend forward to rinse their hair, men and women. But that's it. All the junior highs use the showers as storage. Most of the high school showers are turned off at the valve.

People all just go home dirty. And no one works up anything close to a sweat in PE. Nothing has changed. And I'm pretty sure that was the case already for years by the time I got there. As far back as the 80s I'm pretty sure. My mother says everyone had to shower when she was in high school. Her senior year ('80) to my freshman year ('96) were 16 years apart so the change happened somewhere in there.

Alex Sommers

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I know for a fact that at the two of the school districts where I work -- both the basketball team and the football team showers after games. Don't know if the same is true of practice. Some of the schools have converted the groups showers to the stalls -- and the basketball coach told me that the team prefers the group showers. Again -- there is a different in showering with your teammates from showering with strangers. Of course, some of these guys carry over that behavior to public gyms-- you can almost always predict who was a jock in school -- and who wasn't by their shower behavior.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No one used the showers when I was in high school 20 years ago.
Now I'm a sub janitor. Glamerous I know. But I work in a much bigger school district a bit away. 3 high schools. Big focus on sports. None of them use the showers. Football, baseball, soccer, track, wrestling. Any of them. After practice or games. They rinse their feet off sometimes. Especially the women. Just to make a mess I think. Turn on the shower and bend forward to rinse their hair, men and women. But that's it. All the junior highs use the showers as storage. Most of the high school showers are turned off at the valve.

People all just go home dirty. And no one works up anything close to a sweat in PE. Nothing has changed. And I'm pretty sure that was the case already for years by the time I got there. As far back as the 80s I'm pretty sure. My mother says everyone had to shower when she was in high school. Her senior year ('80) to my freshman year ('96) were 16 years apart so the change happened somewhere in there.

The time period I bolded above was the period of the big swing back toward conservative--read evangelical Christian--values. It was also the time of the reaction/blowback (no pun intended) to the sexual revolution, the incredible fear of HIV/AIDS (I can still remember the 1981 Newsweek and Time magazine articles announcing "GRID," Gay-Related Immune Deficiency, which had just been noted as an epidemic in NYC hospitals), the connection of AIDS with what many conservatives saw as "undesirable" population elements (including gay men, prostitutes, drug users, and Haitians), increased book banning, decreased sex education in the schools, and Reagan's "morning in America."

Basically, many people wanted to go back to the 1950s as though the civil rights movement, feminism, the sexual revolution, and the LGBTQ rights movements had never happened. (By the way, this feeling is still strong within modern conservatism, in case those of you reading this post hadn't been paying attention.)

Ironically, the locker-room and shower-room feeling transformed in those few years (the early to mid-1980s) from "real men get naked together, thus showing that they aren't gay" to "there must be some gay guys in here with the rest of us, so let's start covering up" to "enjoying getting naked together must be gay, since gay guys like seeing other guys naked."

NCbear (who remembers showering with Boy Scout leaders at camp as a pre-teen and early teen; whose gym showers in high school, 1983-1987, merely collected dust; whose gym showers and swimming pool showers at college and in both graduate programs were all open; and whose YMCA has retrofitted Formica-covered stalls surrounding each wall-mounted showerhead in a large room that obviously was once an open shower room)

I know, that is what my Dad and Uncle say, its a sad state of affairs...………….

I agree. It's a very sad state of affairs.

The way guys thought back then was that a straight guy would have no issue getting naked around other guys because there was nothing to get excited/turned on/hard about whereas gay guys would have an issue with getting naked because they would get aroused by what they saw. Therefore those guys that refused to get naked to avoid being outed. It was a very black and white way of thinking because even though I'm mostly straight (my gay side is getting stronger though the older I get), I still got excited/turned on and close to hard a few times being naked around other naked guys. Now with age, I have more control over my penis and can conceal my excitement when I'm naked with a hot guy. I remember as a student showering at my university athletic centre in the open shower with an openly gay professor. He never acted inappropriately or got hard, so again it was a black and white way of thinking.

It was only by confronting my fear when I was younger that I was able to get over it and gain some self control. Not dealing with it at a young age would have only made the situation worse. I shower naked with guys 3 times a week at my Y, so it's as common as breathing for me (been doing it for 30+ years now). I see more and more younger guys using the open shower after working out which is great. I have always been a profuse sweater after exercise, so not showering immediately after is not an option. My Y is the only gym in the city that still has an open shower, so guys who can't handle nudity usually go elsewhere where they can have all the privacy they want. It does amaze me though that there are some guys who pay extra for the premium locker room at my Y, but never get naked and use the amenities such as the towel service, hot tub, steam room and open shower. I make full use of it always.

Last edited by a moderator:

slipmoisi

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
some guys who pay extra for the premium locker room at my Y, but never get naked and use the amenities such as the towel service, hot tub, steam room and open shower. I make full use of it always.

I wish I could pay extra for such a locker room.

Reactions: cock30

BeefRockmore

Expert Member
Media
The time period I bolded above was the period of the big swing back toward conservative--read evangelical Christian--values. It was also the time of the reaction/blowback (no pun intended) to the sexual revolution, the incredible fear of HIV/AIDS (I can still remember the 1981 Newsweek and Time magazine articles announcing "GRID," Gay-Related Immune Deficiency, which had just been noted as an epidemic in NYC hospitals), the connection of AIDS with what many conservatives saw as "undesirable" population elements (including gay men, prostitutes, drug users, and Haitians), increased book banning, decreased sex education in the schools, and Reagan's "morning in America."

Basically, many people wanted to go back to the 1950s as though the civil rights movement, feminism, the sexual revolution, and the LGBTQ rights movements had never happened. (By the way, this feeling is still strong within modern conservatism, in case those of you reading this post hadn't been paying attention.)

Ironically, the locker-room and shower-room feeling transformed in those few years (the early to mid-1980s) from "real men get naked together, thus showing that they aren't gay" to "there must be some gay guys in here with the rest of us, so let's start covering up" to "enjoying getting naked together must be gay, since gay guys like seeing other guys naked."

NCbear (who remembers showering with Boy Scout leaders at camp as a pre-teen and early teen; whose gym showers in high school, 1983-1987, merely collected dust; whose gym showers and swimming pool showers at college and in both graduate programs were all open; and whose YMCA has retrofitted Formica-covered stalls surrounding each wall-mounted showerhead in a large room that obviously was once an open shower room)

I very much disagree about your proposed causes.
20-30 years ago was when the kick God out of schools started.
It was also when schools & government started fear-mongering about "perverts" and made all the young people scared of each other. I lived it and have many 20 & 30 something friends in several states that confirm my assertion.

BigDStories

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Of of my favorite things showering was one of the guys in particular was extremely muscular and had this wonderful 5-6 inch flaccid thick cut dick. He'd sometimes tease me over our size difference, which I always found pretty hot.

Something really hot about the hung guys with big egos.

Bumping this thread again. Miss the good discussion

Reactions: NCbear

DerrickRigg

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have been in gym locker rooms on regular basis since 13 because of sports I did in high school - football and track. After that, college was one sport and got into bodybuilding so went to gyms at college and in commercial gyms geared towards bbing. Never really cared about who was looking at me. Damn, I got a great body so I didn't mind. Of course, there were some perverts jacking off to me in the showers. But only time I got pissed, was the older guys with their baby powder throwing it all over themselves in locker room and getting onto my clothes. I had to get in there faces and tell them to stop it. They stopped.

What a twat this guy is. The comments below the article show that almost everyone thinks his attitude and hysteria over the sight of a naked man is ridiculous. What a shame that he has passed his own body shame issues on to his son. He needs to grow a pair and man up, or stay the f**k out of the locker room!

Man Files Complaint About "Excessive Nudity" In Men's Locker Room

Last edited by a moderator:

Your comments bring up quite a number of areas where social conflicts have shaped how people think.

Back in the late 1970’s I taught public high school (grades 8-12) in a large but generally conservative community. If someone reading this post doesn’t remember what that era was like, I suggest a quick read of Wikipedia’s notes on Anita Bryant (a true homophobic) and the developing LGBT (Christian-phobi) community.
Anita Bryant - Wikipedia

Most of my students were male and almost every sentence between them included terms like gay of fag. But these comments had been around since the early 70’s, and boys still used the shower after GYM class or sports practice.

Certainly the terms were used as a put-down. But for the most part it was seen as an element of sophistication for the kids to know how to throw the terms around. Primarily the terms were used to explore the taboo of being gay.

The issues with taking a shower began due to harassment, both verbal and physical, inflected by other boys. Once it became “cool” for harassment to occur among boys who already grouped together for the purpose of approval, then no one outside that group was safe. It didn’t matter if they were young, old, short, fat, another race, or gay. All that mattered was that they were different. Since a kid was very vulnerable while in a school shower, this is where harassment often occurred. Somehow that mentality (or fear) has continued with many guys until today.

The novel Lord of the Flies would say that what is going today with boys not taking a shower follows an impulses that exist within all human beings.
lord of the flies - Google Search

The central concern of Lord of the Flies is the conflict between two competing impulses that exist within all human beings: the instinct to live by rules, act peacefully, follow moral commands, and value the good of the group against the instinct to gratify one's immediate desires, act violently to obtain supremacy ...

At the same time it appears that this impulse does not seem to impact spring break and pushing the limits of general nudity and socializing. A taboo is being challenged here and students enjoy the challenge. Bring this kind of taboo challenge back to the GYM shower room everyone will have a better time.

xxxspring break.jpg

BigDStories

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I had a discussion today with an lpsg member that brought me back to my college sports days. It was great being on a team that was so open with nudity.

We had one guy who was quite skinny but had this massive uncut cock. Extremely thick soft, like beer can thick as a softie. We would joke that his girlfriend was always so happy. I remember once talking to him while he was changing and he could tell I was looking so he stopped and just let me take it in.

Another guy had a great lean muscular body and this long , not very thick, uncut cock. It dangled so nicely as he walked around.