SICK of the Obama-Preacher write off excuses

D

deleted15807

I was raised Catholic, and I disagree with much about it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to leave the church. The pope is an ex-Nazi, but I'm not. The church is pro-life, but I'm pro-choice. More than that, I'm anti-covering up for pedophiles. There's a lot about the church that I accept as core values, like the need to do good works in this lifetime.

Some people are trying to portray Jeremiah Wright as the worst American ever, when he's really not even that bad. He's just a very angry black man that places too much blame for socieities ills on the government. The history of race and the problems we face in this country are not so simple that they can be boiled down to "it's the government's fault." That was Wright's real logical error. More importantly though, Jeremiah Wright is not Barack Obama. The subtext of most of these attacks is whether or not Obama is too black to be president.

If the election really gets decided on where Obama falls on the "blackness" scale, instead of real, actual, important things (Iraq, Economy, Healthcare, etc.), perhaps our country hasn't grown up yet.

If you think the country is grown up all doubts are erased after watching 24 hrs of Fox News.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I support Obama because on the day Barack Obama is inaugurated, America will think differently of itself, and this is no small thing. Imagine the symbolism of it. Do not short shrift symbols, for they are very powerful. To be able to point to a President Barack Obama and tell a child of any color anywhere in America that they, too, through education and hard work, could someday be anything they want to be...that’s a powerful thing, especially in our melting-pot nation.
I support Obama because Obama’s narrative is quintessentially American. A biracial kid with an absentee father whose improbable path carried him from Hawaii to Indonesia to Chicago to Washington; a Harvard law grad who turned down a coveted Supreme Court clerkship to work as a community organizer on Chicago’s South Side; a United States Senator who still shops for groceries with his young children, and who only recently got out from underneath his student loans; a family man with a solid marriage to a bright and dynamic, articulate and self-made woman; a man of faith who walks the walk of his religion.
I support Obamabecause Senator Obama inspires people of all ages to action. And while inspiration alone isn’t enough to get the job done, it’s a necessary ingredient to begin the hard work. After sixteen years of Clinton and Bush hyper-partisanship, Obama’s appeal to Americans to have the audacity to hope falls on fertile ground. His unwillingness to cross the line into the dark side of politics has touched a fundamental place in the hearts of many who are eager to believe that the political process is not entirely a cynical joke.
I support Obamabecause Senator Obama understands that you win elections not by pandering to your base, but by drawing support from independents and from the opposite side, by articulating what unifies people rather than exploiting what divides them. Change comes not just from knowing how to work the levers of power – it takes more than that. It takes creating the popular movements necessary to support and sustain change. No other candidate spurs that kind of enthusiasm.
I support Obamabecause Obama’s appeal also rests on an attractive optimism, a chance for America to move beyond the poisonous legacy of the divisions wrought between liberals and conservatives by the 1960s, Vietnam, and the 1990s. He meets a hunger that exists nationwide to turn the page on the tired ideological battles of the past. With Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee for the general election campaign, a man with broad popular appeal but also a man who, if elected, would be the oldest president at inauguration in American history, what better choice between past and future could Americans be offered than between he and Obama? A choice between McCain and Clinton is little more than a choice between different and clashing versions of the past.
I support Obamabecause Obama has built a campaign unlike seen before, based on cross-cultural and multi-generational grassroots movements and community building. He possesses an exceptional and enduring talent for connecting with voters, and has attracted voters on a level unseen in decades: over one million Americans have contributed to his campaign! His appeal is also much broader ideologically and racially than perhaps any politician in American history, and his demographic diversity contrasts sharply and is more representative of America than Senator McCain’s demographic monotony: mostly white, and mostly male.
I support Obamabecause Obama energizes youth for service and involvement to a degree also unseen in decades. This is a crucial point for Democrats to understand: it is well known that if a Party attracts new voters for their first election, those voters tend to stick with that Party for most of their lives.
I support Obamabecause on the day Barack Obama is inaugurated, the world will think differently of America. The election of Obama, a man with a multicultural name and heritage, would overnight begin to improve the image of the United States abroad, and send the global message that a post-Bush and post-Clinton 21st-century American era has arrived. With his election, the value of America’s moral currency abroad would begin to be restored.
I support Obamabecause of Obama’s stalwart opposition to the Iraq War since before its beginning, and his stalwart dedication to see the Iraq War to its end. Obama said, in 2002: "I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world and strengthen the recruitment arm of al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars." In 2008, Obama speaks once again for millions: "I don’t want to just end the war, I want to end the mind-set that got us into war in the first place."
I support Obamabecause Obama is a Harvard-educated constitutional law scholar, and civil libertarian. In his campaign speeches, he has frequently referred to his desire to close Guantanamo, stop torture, restore habeas corpus rights to detainees, bring back our lost civil liberties, and return to a presidency that sticks to its vow to follow the U.S. Constitution.
I support Obamabecause in addition to being the candidate most likely to lure people to the polls who don’t typically vote, particularly the young, Obama will lure black voters who, if presented with the prospect of electing the first black president, will turn out in record numbers. And yet Obama is a black man who does not run as a black candidate. He never dwells on racial issues. When he mentions emancipation and civil rights, it is right alongside women’s rights and workers’ rights. He does not need to speak about black-white reconciliation – he embodies it.
I support Obamabecause Obama pushes progressive values into the mainstream. He constantly talks about his core liberal philosophy in a way that’s appealing to non-liberals. He has an ability to use his eloquence not just to persuade, but to mobilize, and to unite. Unlike the Clinton method of triangulating, moving Democrats to the middle, Obama moves the middle to our values. He stands for progressive values while appealing to common sense and pragmatism over ideology and demagoguery. And the end effect might be an ascendant, mainstream progressive party that enacts its values into laws.
I support Obamabecause Obama has the potential to be a transformative American leader. The best leaders are like magnets beneath a piece of paper, invisibly aligning iron filings into new patterns of their design. Obama could be such a leader. Most of the presidents in American history who have been transformative have been charismatic figures with exceptional oratorical skills who persuaded Americans to share in their larger vision. I am not able to imagine a President Hillary Clinton or a President John McCain being similarly transformative, or being such a magnet.
I support Obama because Obama has more ability to expand the electoral map than does Senator Clinton. Of course, it is only March, less than eight months until the November election, and things could change. But aren’t we supposed to be choosing the candidate who gives us the best chance at regaining the White House?
I support Obamabecause Obama has great crossover appeal. He reaches out warmly to independents, moderate Republicans, and evangelicals. He has done better than Clinton in red states, purple states, and any-colored states with open primaries where non-Democrats are allowed to participate. This could mean he has more ability to win support from independents in the general election, independents who overwhelmingly disapprove of the Iraq War and who, when given the choice between Obama and McCain, are not likely to give their support to a man who says that America could be in Iraq for another hundred years.
I support Obamabecause I know that most voters do not vote primarily on the basis of policies, but rather on values, connection, authenticity, trust, and identity. Obama has solid progressive values. He connects with voters as no politician has done since Reagan, or Kennedy. His authenticity is unquestioned. Recent polls reveal greater than 20-point differences between Obama and McCain on matters of trust and identity.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I support Obamabecause after the bitterness of the Bush years, America badly needs a dose of unity. We face huge issues in the years to come, and to work through them we need not only optimism, creativity, and courage, but also trust in one another, and an end to bitter partisanship. None of that arises out of cynicism and despair. Does anyone foresee an end to – or even an easing of – our bitter divisions with a President Clinton or President McCain?
I support Obamabecause there is no question Obama is an icon of hope. And despite ridicule to the contrary, hope does matter. When people join movements to realize raised hopes, our nation has a chance of changing for the better. When they damp their hopes, as Clinton suggests, the status quo is preserved. Hope and fear, future and past are the determining factors in this election. Not gender, not race. Will grouchy and divided Americans be driven primarily by their fears, or by their hopes? By their nostalgia for some "better" past, or by the courage to face a new future? The possibility of a new president named Barack Hussein Obama hangs on the answer.
I support Obamabecause this era demands a president who will include all of us in the debate over our future, whether or not we agree on every issue. And while I do not agree with Senator Obama on every issue, it does not matter so much to me, because this election campaign is about so much more than individuals and their pet issues. It is about the reacquisition of an ideal that has been stolen away from us.
I support Obamabecause for now, at this time in history, I believe Barack Obama to be the best antidote we’ve got to the darkness and division we’ve endured for too many years. He’s our best hope to re-dignify the office of President of the United States with a stature that symbolizes the awesomeness of America. He’s our best hope not to make change, but to remind us of our ability to make change.
Obama's is a message of faith, belief, and empowerment. It speaks well of him, and of us, that that message is resonating so strongly across America.
Will we take a chance on a President Obama? If elected, will he and we confront the enormous peril of high expectations? Yes, to both. But I say NOW IS THE TIME to go for broke, to challenge and to overthrow the governing ideas and style of the last sixteen years.

OK, I think I'M done now.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Industrialize, you made some credible and well thought out reasons why Obama would make a good president. I have never doubted that he could make a good president.

I do have to disagree with one of your statements however. That is the one comparing Hillary Clinton with John McCain as them being similar and Obama being different.

On all the issues that I have read the platforms for Obama and Clinton, they are vehttp://www.bog-standard.org/display_messages_02.aspx?type=Student&id=13ry close on all the issues.

The biggiest issue with Clinton is all the stuff the Republicans have thrown against her now for several years. It is the same group that are waiting to do the same thing to Obama as soon as he gets the nomination. The stuff about Obama and his church are just a preliminary for what the Republicans have in their war machine against Obama. The Republicans know every time Obama has taken a piss and whether any of it landed on the floor or not. The same is true for Bill Clinton and is being true about Hillary Clinton. That is how the Republican war machine has been working,

It will also be a first if Hillary gets to be President. There are many girls whose lives can be affected. Women still lag men in salaries of the same kinds of jobs here in America. No way have women gained equal pay for equal. It will be a major milestone if she can [i

D

deleted15807

The biggest issue with Clinton is all the stuff the Republicans have thrown against her now for several years. It is the same group that are waiting to do the same thing to Obama as soon as he gets the nomination.

Take a look at the Wall Street Journal or Fox News or any conservative radio station. They are NOT waiting. It use to be all anti-Hillary now they're not sure who to aim the slime gun at.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I do have to disagree with one of your statements however. That is the one comparing Hillary Clinton with John McCain as them being similar and Obama being different.

I think the point was more to style and approach (partisanship, my way or the highway) than to ideas on issues.

IMO, it's a fair potrayal, as McCain and Clinton are both cut from the same cloth in that regard.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
I support Obamabecause after the bitterness of the Bush years, America badly needs a dose of unity. We face huge issues in the years to come, and to work through them we need not only optimism, creativity, and courage, but also trust in one another, and an end to bitter partisanship. None of that arises out of cynicism and despair. Does anyone foresee an end to – or even an easing of – our bitter divisions with a President Clinton or President McCain?
I support Obamabecause there is no question Obama is an icon of hope. And despite ridicule to the contrary, hope does matter. When people join movements to realize raised hopes, our nation has a chance of changing for the better. When they damp their hopes, as Clinton suggests, the status quo is preserved. Hope and fear, future and past are the determining factors in this election. Not gender, not race. Will grouchy and divided Americans be driven primarily by their fears, or by their hopes? By their nostalgia for some "better" past, or by the courage to face a new future? The possibility of a new president named Barack Hussein Obama hangs on the answer.
I support Obamabecause this era demands a president who will include all of us in the debate over our future, whether or not we agree on every issue. And while I do not agree with Senator Obama on every issue, it does not matter so much to me, because this election campaign is about so much more than individuals and their pet issues. It is about the reacquisition of an ideal that has been stolen away from us.
I support Obamabecause for now, at this time in history, I believe Barack Obama to be the best antidote we’ve got to the darkness and division we’ve endured for too many years. He’s our best hope to re-dignify the office of President of the United States with a stature that symbolizes the awesomeness of America. He’s our best hope not to make change, but to remind us of our ability to make change.
Obama's is a message of faith, belief, and empowerment. It speaks well of him, and of us, that that message is resonating so strongly across America.
Will we take a chance on a President Obama? If elected, will he and we confront the enormous peril of high expectations? Yes, to both. But I say NOW IS THE TIME to go for broke, to challenge and to overthrow the governing ideas and style of the last sixteen years.

OK, I think I'M done now.
what he said.

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was being facetious...the same way most of the folks here bashing Obama over his association with Rev. Wright have been acting as though the man weren't possessed enough of his own mind to figure out for himself that some of the things Wright said were a little cuckoo.

I think you might be his script writer because some of the things you're coming out with are a bit cuckoo

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you might be his script writer because some of the things you're coming out with are a bit cuckoo

For Coco Puffs? I always thought of Hazelgod as being more of a Count Chocula kind of a guy... I could be wrong though.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was being facetious...the same way most of the folks here bashing Obama over his association with Rev. Wright have been acting as though the man weren't possessed enough of his own mind to figure out for himself that some of the things Wright said were a little cuckoo.

It's not about whether rev. Wright is wrong or not or even it's effect on Obama. No one is argueing that(after all who REALLY cares about religion).It's about how it plays out in peoria. Who can spin it , who can use it, who cares if its truth or lies! How can I use this info to fuck the other guy. Pandora is out of the box, who cares that shes lesbian.
Politics boyfriend!:smile:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Math Has a Well Known Obama Bias

So many people talk about "the math". They talk about how Obama's 167 pledged delegate lead is insurmountable and how Hillary Clinton needs 64% of all remaining pledged delegates in order to catch Obama.
This is all just silly. What's even sillier is the really nebulous "math" where people have the nerve to point out that 64% of the pledged delegates really translates into wins by 30-40% of the popular vote in most of the contests! What the heck is with this "apportionment" nonsense! We need to throw out these anti-democratic "apportionment" lies right now.
This all just sickens me. The "math" means absolutely nothing in all of this.

First of all, If Obama loses Pennsylvania, it's over. Okay? It's just over because if he can't win Pennsylvania, everybody knows he'll just lose the general election. We should just nominate Hillary Clinton right away if she wins Pennsylvania by even a single vote.
Math be damned.
Second, there's the Super Delegates. The Super Delegates all owe Hillary Clinton the nomination and everybody knows this. So long as they don't go all "Judas" on her, she wins this thing hands down.
Thirdly, Hillary won Florida and Michigan after the DNC undemocratically threw out their delegates and after everybody agreed they wouldn't count. Since Hillary won those delegates, it would be undemocratic not to count them, so she should be the nominee.
Finally, forget this math with percentages and everything. Let's face it, percentages are really fractions and everybody knows that nobody can do fractions. How well did you do with fractions in school? See what I mean. Fractions are horribly biased and cannot be trusted to choose the Democratic Nominee. We must put Hillary in as the nominee, even if she loses the nomination.

Yeah right

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Once upon a time in land far far away the people were getting excited about voting for twiddle dumb and twiddle dee and later on for two parties and they were also called twiddle dumb and twiddle dee. Now these parties were controlled by the industrial, polictal and military elites..but every so often they allowed the little people to put a tick on a box - this was called democray.
yet some people saw through this charade and questioned it but the little people were so brain washed they made nasty comments like you must be a pinko or get back to cuba.....

DEMOCRACY IS JUST A CAPITALIST FRONT - DO U THINK THEY WOULD ALLOW THE LITTLE PEOPLE TO HAVE THAT MUCH PEOPLE... of course not.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Once upon a time in land far far away the people were getting excited about voting for twiddle dumb and twiddle dee and later on for two parties and they were also called twiddle dumb and twiddle dee. Now these parties were controlled by the industrial, polictal and military elites..but every so often they allowed the little people to put a tick on a box - this was called democray.
yet some people saw through this charade and questioned it but the little people were so brain washed they made nasty comments like you must be a pinko or get back to cuba.....

DEMOCRACY IS JUST A CAPITALIST FRONT - DO U THINK THEY WOULD ALLOW THE LITTLE PEOPLE TO HAVE THAT MUCH PEOPLE... of course not.

If you're advocating an alternative political ideology for the US (or elsewhere) then why not start a thread and argue its merits. After all, Communism (for example) worked so well the first time, and Fascism was a gas for millions, literally.

But I forget, you tried that already. How did it work out for you, Mr Pond?

Yawn.:rolleyes: