Sickness and Scariness

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I was sick all last week, starting Sunday. I was in bed for three days straight and was able to go back to work on Friday. I went to the doc's on my lunch break and thought nothing else of it.

Friday & Saturday night I went out to the clubs, drank, danced, acted a fool, like I normally do. Sunday morning the doc's after hours clinic called, saying my throat culture came back positive for strep. :( They prescribed me some meds which I took.

I just got a call.

"Hey, Heather! This is Austin Regional Clinic. I see over the weekend, you tested positive for strep throat. I'm wondering if our afterhours clinic prescribed you any medication."

"Yeah, they did. I think I'm feeling better already! :)"

"Well, I'm just wondering what kinda meds they gave you, because they don't have your chart over there and I see here that you're allergic to penicilin."

:( lol

Fortunately the medication they prescribed was ok. I've only had penicillin once in my life, when I was an infant. It makes me break out with warts all over my crotch!!!!! omg. no no no no.

Got any weird allergies? What are the side effects?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
It has been drilled into my head since childhood that I am allergic to penicillin (runs in the family). I've never had penicillin, so I can't say what the side effects are (warts??? ewwwwww.).

I am mildly allergic to animal hair - gives me the sniffles and itchy eyes. I am also mildly allergic to certain fruits and vegetables in quantity - the only symptom I've noticed is throat itchiness.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I like cats and dogs, when they're someone else's. Same goes for children. :biggrin1:

The two pets I do have: I'm not allerigc to either:

My hairless rat.
My macaw is in my avater.

No pets here. But I will gorge myself on celery sticks to the point where I'm clearing my throat for the next 8 hours due to the itchiness.

Is lactose intolerance an allergy? Because nearly all of my friends seem to have that.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
No pets here. But I will gorge myself on celery sticks to the point where I'm clearing my throat for the next 8 hours due to the itchiness.

Is lactose intolerance an allergy? Because nearly all of my friends seem to have that.

Most lactose-intolerant adults can drink about 250 ml (8 oz) of milk per day without severe symptoms (McGee 2004) (Swagerty et al. 2002). Most adults in the world are lactose-intolerant: the majority of humans stop producing significant amounts of lactase sometime between the ages of two and five. A relatively recent genetic change caused some populations, including many northern Europeans, to continue producing lactase into adulthood; these lactose-tolerant populations are in the minority. Lactose intolerance is an autosomal recessive trait, while lactase-persistence is the dominant allele.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Well, if you care to look back you'll see I didn't say I have NO allergies, just that I'm not aware of any. It's not quite the same thing.

If I had eaten something and reacted badly (prawns maybe), taken a drug (penicillin for example) and reacted badly, handled a substance (fibreglass perhaps) and reacted badly and consistently to those same, identifiable stimuli then I'd say that would likely constitute an allergic reaction, so why would I need to be tested - It would be self evident and I'd avoid them if possible depending on seriousness. For example; a person eats a peanut, swells up and nearly dies, does it again and nearly dies and yet again a third/fourth/fifth time etc - Would testing really help clarify the situation - wouldn't you just avoid peanuts?

Bearing in mind the above of course something like that did happen then I may well get tested for certainty. The thing is, it hasn't yet happened so [pre-emptive] testing would appear to be something of a waste of time now wouldn't it?

I mean why would I want to see if I'm allergic to something - because it's fun? I know about allergy testing, of course I do and that some allergies can be mitigated etc etc. I just meant where would I start? Would I pick those substances I'd never been in contact with (and thus know I'm not allergic to:rolleyes: ) or with those I probably never will be, plutonium perhaps? -just to see if I'm allergic to any of them? Well, that would seem like an effective use of medical resources.

Of course you never know one day that knowing one is allergic to coconuts may be useful for when one is marooned on a desert island. But of course that knowledge is really going to be useful then isn't it. That's what I meant by tested for what? Duh!:tongue::rolleyes:

Wow, I wrote a lot....:smile:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not really allergic to anything that I know of. However, I do have a severe allergic reaction to any of the plant poisons like sumac, oak, and ivy, to the point where my eyes can almost swell shut. As for dander and pollen, well, if it does happen, I haven't felt yet.:rolleyes:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Poison Ivy does nothing to me. :) I can bathe in it and still have fresh baby smooth skin.

Now, you see, the baby smooth skin :wink: I believe, but actually bathing in it? Well, you're like my mother; can go into a brush full of the shit & come out fresh as a daisy.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm not allergic to anything... But I get a strange feeling in my bones when I touch aluminum... Particularly aluminum rolled into balls... Dont ask me how I found that out.