Sigh, looks like I might be heading towards FWD for the next car :(

B_Fire-3

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I really wanted something with AWD but the cars I was looking at are just out of my price range. I was really hell bent on finding a used Speed 6 for under $25k but I just couldn't find any for the right price. I wouldn't mind looking at the new WRX but the cheapest one I could find was $23 grand and it wasn't the limited. So if I am heading towards FWD, I've been leaning more towards some of the "pocket" rockets, in other words, the GTi, the Cooper S, etc... etc... Now, performance wise, I understand that these cars are supposed to handle pretty damn well, but their acceleration isn't anything to gawk over. I've seen plenty of well modified GTis, but how does the Cooper S take to modifications. I can't imagine myself wanting to leave a car like this stock for too long.

clecle3880

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The Cooper S mods pretty well - easily so even - not cheap though. I've a friend w/an adrenaline pumped S and it runs pretty well and handles well too. I'd have to get the mods info - I don't remember the specifics. Admittedly though the GTis mod much easier and bang-for-buck cheaper. They ride pretty well rally style too.

You can't find a Speed 6 for under $25K - searching nationwide online even?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a Seville and FWD is something I don't want again. But AWD adds complexity and weight and it's only needed rarely. Yeah I know: when you need it YOU NEED IT!

Would you consider RWD? Mustang?

B_Fire-3

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No Mustang for me, thanks. I stay away from the domestic crap
I need to make sure Warranties are intact and such and also look for extended warranties. As for WRXs around my area, I've seen last gen ones with 30 or so thousand miles still going for around $20 grand. As for the STi and EVO, all the ones I've found for the $25k area hav 40 plus thousands miles on them.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Even the local autocrossers who run Minis don't keep them after the warranty runs out. They just end up in the shop too often.

I haven't heard anything good about VW's reliability in quite a while, either. One of my neighbors was all too happy to get rid of his Jetta. It might depend on whether it's built in Germany or Mexico, though.

STis and Evos are almost guaranteed to have been flogged by their owners; hopefully they'll have been cared for in between floggings as well, but you never know.

Honda made a hatchback Civic Si from 2002-2005 (my car :wink: ) that does pretty well with mods. Our US-spec version was pretty toned down from the highly-praised Type-R model sold in Europe and Japan; so, while that means that ours isn't terribly quick, it also means that it can be made much quicker with factory parts & factory reliability. It also shares quite a few pieces with the RSX (indeed, the RSX Type-S motor was the same as the European Civic R's; I have the exhaust header, cat, sway bars & brakes from the -S on my Civic), and the bigger 2.4-liter K-series blocks from the TSX and Accord can also fit without much hassle. There are also the usual supercharger & turbo kits available.

Sadly, there just aren't enough cars in this pocket rocket class here in the US, IMO.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Speaking as a professional mechanic................

The Volkswagons have gone downhill. Not sure why, but their reliability just isn't what they were. Now if you get the diesel Volkswagons, you can't go wrong there.

Now that BMW is making the Minis--well, we won't go there. Too much buck and too little bang. I have YET to find a modified Mini that will outrun, or outhandle my 1995 Mercury Sable LTS.

If you want a very well handling car that takes well to modifications, consider a Honda Accord Coupe with the V-TECH V6. Plus Honda is famous for it's reliability and quality OVER Toyota.

As for getting your hands on a WRX or Sti, GOOD FREAKIN LUCK!! The people that have those cars KNOW what they have and aren't about to let them go. Not to mention that Subaru has Porsche beat all to hell and back and they're *SO* much cheaper and *FAR* more reliable.

Mustangs are crap?!?
SACRELIGE!! BLASPHEMER!! A FIE ON YOU!! :eek:
I've had several Mustangs. Loved them all. I now have one that's extremely rare and it's been more reliable then any import I've ever owned. (plus it eats Porches without even trying)
Talk about a car that has awesome handling right out the gate and takes *EXTREMELY* well to modifications!!
Get me a 2008 Mustang GT, add the right modifications, and I guarantee you a car that will stay nose to nose with a Lotus or Viper on the track or flat out running for a total price that will be far lower than what you can buy a Corvette for.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm the opposite of what you're after, AWD, too many drive lines to maintain and the one's on the front, are more than likely like fwd cv joints, so you have inner and outer joints and boot covers on them. As for FWD, well cv joints have me running from those because the transmission housing seals eventually leak with higher mileage and that's if the rubber boot doesn't tear or crack/rot and the grease dries out first. Wait until you hear your cv joint(s) clunk and the more powerful the car, well that joint has to be able to handle that much torque/power you give it if you have a heavy foot. Give me a rear wheel drive vehicle only.

B_Fire-3

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, it looks like I might have finally found the car. I was originally looking for an Accord Coupe a few months, but I wanted it to be an EX, V6, 6-speed, and be in black. Well, after alot of searching, I found one about an hour and a half away.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

2004 Accord Coupe
Black
EX
V6
6-speed
$24,900
28,904 miles
Honda Certified
13.gif

Looks like we might be putting a deposit down on it tomorrow, couldn't be any happier right now.

I know I said I was going to go the way of the pocket rockets but that was because I couldn't find an Accord to these specs, and now I finally have, and it's still on the lot.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im happy my 02 nissan frontier 2x4 2.4 motor is paid for :):) gets 26 mpg and I can drive on ICE and snow with Tire Cables :)

im going to drive it a long time

Paid 11,777 for it at 195.95 a month for 5 years :)

B_Fire-3

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Im happy my 02 nissan frontier 2x4 2.4 motor is paid for :):) gets 26 mpg and I can drive on ICE and snow with Tire Cables :)

im going to drive it a long time

Paid 11,777 for it at 195.95 a month for 5 years :)

My parents won't let me get anything RWD. Did you even read the title of this motherfuckin thread?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Get me a 2008 Mustang GT, add the right modifications, and I guarantee you a car that will stay nose to nose with a Lotus or Viper on the track or flat out running for a total price that will be far lower than what you can buy a Corvette for.

Or just get a 2nd hand Viper. That's what I did. Faster stock than most blown Mustangs. Looks a whole hell of a lot better. More of an attention-getter than anything else under a quarter million. You won't have your pussy AWD... but drifting is fun if you know how to drive. No annoying understeer, either.

B_Fire-3

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Or just get a 2nd hand Viper. That's what I did. Faster stock than most blown Mustangs. Looks a whole hell of a lot better. More of an attention-getter than anything else under a quarter million. You won't have your pussy AWD... but drifting is fun if you know how to drive. No annoying understeer, either.

<8mpg?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

no not even close.

but you're right getting good gas mileage is a true mark of a really bad ass race car. :rolleyes:

Your first two priorities you listed (performance, speed) are non-existent on your average Japanese VLEV shitbox. Maybe you can squeeze some performance out of them if you do some heavy modification... but then you've usually lost your good mpg. So you might have to pick one thing or the other.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
After having experienced the pluses and minuses of all three kinds (FWD - Mustang, AWD - Audi RS 4, RWD - Peugeot 505), I can tell you that as long as you are not in extreme situations, which push the limits of the constructional concepts, it really doesn't matter what you are driving. So, you should consider what driving you are most likely to do, or whether it's likely that you get into places with a high chance of bad weather conditions which would make an AWD a reasonable choice, and decide then. It's no use spending a few thousand bucks plus for something that gives you a slightly better feeling for your car, but it's no use either to save a few thousands by abandoning something that could increase your safety. Sorry that I can't help you more, but you have to see for yourself what suits you best.

B_Fire-3

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
no not even close.

but you're right getting good gas mileage is a true mark of a really bad ass race car. :rolleyes:

Your first two priorities you listed (performance, speed) are non-existent on your average Japanese VLEV shitbox. Maybe you can squeeze some performance out of them if you do some heavy modification... but then you've usually lost your good mpg. So you might have to pick one thing or the other.

I'm sorry, I'm just used to getting tiptop economy in my 200sx.

After having experienced the pluses and minuses of all three kinds (FWD - Mustang, AWD - Audi RS 4, RWD - Peugeot 505)

Oh the seats in the Peugeot 505. Something close to heaven. God that was a comfortable car!