Sigh, looks like I might be heading towards FWD for the next car :(

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't, the cars that 9 mentions, everyone of them has something ridiculously exotic about them.The Bughatti was mentioned too,

I did not mention the bugatti as a potential contender... its clearly a supercar... I mentioned it in reference to the stunning performance of the Audi DSG transmission it sports... and which is available in much smaller, lighter, and more reasonably priced and equipped S-line cars from the A3 thru the TT, as well as in a handful of higher performance VWs...

That was a separate issue... I just got the TT a few months ago and I am still just blown away at the performance of this transmission....had to share...
Being able to forget the clutch and engine revs... to focus my full attention on simply throttle and brake and steering.... and yet be able to take over shifting at the flick of a finger...

wow...

But the point I am making is that it doesn't really matter a damn what your 0-60 time is.
Unless your drag racing other over testosteroned jerks on public streets... that simply doesn't figure...

A true sports car has to meet a certain quotient for fun and fast... but also for style, appeal, elan.

I don't care how souped up a WRX is... it ain't a sports car 'cause its a butt ugly econobox.

Nissan Z, yes; RX7, yes; G35 coupe...eh... straddling the line....but mostly because they even MAKE a 4 door version.

A real classic sports car should be easy to spot... because they DON'T change the body style every year.

If its good looking... and handles well...there's no need to change it.

The 911 is an icon.... the cayman will be the same...

The mk1 TT styling endured 10 full years without significant change...

The pontiac solstice... WAS a beautiful, if underpowered car.

They finally put in a better motor... but the ruined what was a potential classic by changing the design... adding creases that the original design was refreshingly and uniquely free of.

In my book a real sports car... is a thing of beauty... and rather than fart around with changing the sheetmetal or fiberlgass or shape of the lights... its year on year development should be entirely focused on performance and quality.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yeah. mortifying. :rolleyes:

So you have a 3.5L toothbrush ? How do you keep any enamel on your teeth ? Well that video is of a 1st generation RX7 that somebody put their mother's battery operated dildo motor in and it simply embarrassed and humiliated a Dodge Viper. 600+ hp, 10 cylinders and whatever else you have in yours would keep up with it just about the same. How do you feel about a 23-30 year old junk yard car blowing away an $ 80+K Viper ? And if you noticed, that RX7 had no problem handling that kind of acceleration. Short of putting the air dams and ground effects to hold one down, I don't doubt they couldn't get one to go well over 200+ mph either ?

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/dis...tageCommon&sectionParameter=heritage04&bhcp=1

"Following checkout passes and qualifying runs that produced shake out bugs and an eventual engine transplant, the salt dust finally cleared for Mederer's team. When the candle was lit for the official run at the books, the RX-7 launched across the flats at a glorious 8550 rpm-that's 244.132 mph pure ground speed. After two runs averaging an eye-watering 238.442 mph, the Racing Beat team had forever earned its place in the stratosphere of land speed records - and performance-engineering excellence."

238 average mph for both runs ? That's a little better than a Viper wouldn't you say ? The 244+ mph, that isn't very far from the Bugatti is it ? In fact, it's very Indy car speed, but it doesn't weigh 1500 lbs. Add that it's a 13B, the same 146 hp engine that was modded to get 530 hp. Mazda gave the general public that because they have a social responsibility not to kill and maim human beings with their products.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
(sigh)

Considering the fact that I'm a bit of a car guy myself, the irritation I'm feeling says a lot.

I suppose the upshot to these threads being here is that all those with deep-seated inadequacy issues are conveniently outing themselves... :rolleyes:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(sigh)

Considering the fact that I'm a bit of a car guy myself, the irritation I'm feeling says a lot.

I suppose the upshot to these threads being here is that all those with deep-seated inadequacy issues are conveniently outing themselves... :rolleyes:

Absolutely, I enjoy what I own and drive it for what it is. There really wasn't any need to drop the "3.5L toothbrush" insult down to demean and bully ? But when it's thrown out for discussion, the 9-inch, $ 80+K, V-10, 8+L ego should be capable of taking as good as he gives, wouldn't you say ? :wink:

I like a muscle car just the same as the next guy, I also enjoy a classic sports car, even appreciate a luxury SUV as well. I could also enjoy the experience of driving a Viper. To me, right now, the guy getting 30-50 mpg is the smartest of all of us. There's something to be said of the car that can provide a quality ride and get high returns in fuel economy.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you heavily modify a car, adding nitrous, turbos, supercharges, body kits, aftermarket suspension, etc... even going so far as to completely swap out the engine or change it into an electric... it's not the same car. Trying to use these heavily modded cars to argue for the performance of the vehicle they are based on is dumb. I see Japanese car fans bring this up all the time. They think because a custom-built car with a Honda Civic shell goes really fast, that means their own POS Civic is a badass sports car.

When I was in high school I drove a white '94 Chevy Lumina (after I got rid of the green '92 Honda Accord). The Lumina was a decent and reliable car... but it wasn't a race car. The fact that they use mock-up shells that look similar to Luminas in stock car racing didn't make the stock Lumina that I was driving a race car.

Take a stock RX-7 and race it against a stock Viper, any generation, and the RX-7 will be absolutely DESTROYED. This is simply fact. Do mods on it, and it depends on who's doing what. Jason Heffner who I've met before builds street legal driveable Vipers with 1700-1900 horsepower. Hell, you could find someone willing to strap a jet engine on top of your car and probably go airborne. But I don't care. I don't attach my ego to the car I drive. I know the Viper isn't for everyone. That's part of why I like it. It's not a best-selling family sedan that would blend in with every other car on the road. It's a niche car designed for people who like uncompromising balls-to-the-walls performance and its loud unique styling. People who aren't going to bitch about gas mileage or a lack of a back seat or the way it rumbles and shakes and sputters like a race car. People who aren't afraid of some wicked oversteer and enough torque to twist your chassis. Not for everyone, I know. But it's for me.

I'm not going to argue with you about labels, as I feel the argument is stupid. I'll just say that, in my mind, when I think of a real sports car I think of a car with some balls, some real power and muscle, no more than 2 seats, sleek aerodynamic design, manual transmission standard (or the only option). A car that handles well and is designed for performance, not to carry groceries, not to sell to soccer moms, not to get good gas mileage. But that's just the connotation that the label has in my own mind.

By the definitions you are using, I guess I like "supercars." Fine, whatever.

By the definitions you are using, I don't like "sports cars" at all. I hate them. By the definitions you are using, sports cars are all way too small for real people. Might as well get a go-kart. They are also very high-strung, underpowered, sound like hair dryers, and don't go very fast. That's not what I'm looking for. Call them whatever you want I still won't drive one. I'll stick with my "exotics" and "supercars."

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I picked up a 2003 Ducati 999 last month for 7600 dollars.
190mph, 0-60 in 3.85 seconds, quarter mile in about 10.5 secs.
No wussy airbags.
Nail it in 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd and the thing will will pull a full gainer and land you on your ass.
What fun! Oh, and what's that smell? Why it's my roasting thighs. :biggrin1:

I love the little stickers on the door sills about burning your legs. (in my car).

I'd like to get a bike at some point. Thought about it while I was in Korea but there really was no need, I lived right on the subway line and was 2 minutes walking distance from work.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm going to look like a stupid girly non-car person, but I want to bitch and the OP reminds me of the goofy motherfuckers that used to piss me off, so here goes.

When I was pregnant, we had a 400HP Pontiac GTO. Nice family sedan, right? I drove that goddamned thing around like the crazy hormonal womanbeast that I was, usually loaded with crap from Babies'r'Us and Gymboree that I just bought.

Anyway, almost every fucking time I'd stop at a goddamn red light, some punk in a fucking Civic with a goddamned coffee can tailpipe would look over at me, size me up, rev his engine, and want to race. Mind you these white trash asshats weren't driving modded up Civics, they were driving POSs with a lot of stickers on them. And some sort of ergonomic flying device they bolted on the trunk.

I also know that the GTO wasn't a great racing car in the grand scheme of things, but come on, a fucking Civic? WTF? Leave me alone. Of course I'm going to blow your ass away especially because I'm pregnant and you're making loud noises that are making the baby kick and now I feel somewhat barfy.

I feel much better now.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, i'm a girl who likes cars. Right now I drive something almost too practical but it works for me at the moment. One thing i've noticed over my years of driving is that most people don't know the first thing about driving for sport. Not that i'm an expert but way too many pimped out Neon drivers think all they have to do is punch it into second and stomp on the gas. Centrifugal force? What's that?

Next car I buy will either be faster than the speed of light or will be large enough for me to travel and play pool in the back. I haven't decided yet.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't doubt they couldn't get one to go well over 200+ mph either ?

well considering I was doing close to 180 without the car so much as breaking a sweat and riding perfectly smooth over on the public roads in Europe, bone stock, without so much as a spoiler... and I wasn't even in top gear or at the top of my RPM range... no, I don't doubt it, either. so why bring it up?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you heavily modify a car, adding nitrous, turbos, supercharges, body kits, aftermarket suspension, etc... even going so far as to completely swap out the engine or change it into an electric... it's not the same car. Trying to use these heavily modded cars to argue for the performance of the vehicle they are based on is dumb. I see Japanese car fans bring this up all the time. They think because a custom-built car with a Honda Civic shell goes really fast, that means their own POS Civic is a badass sports car.

Well put... can't imagine what someone could come up with a modded-out, and even modded-out more 911 or M5 could do.

(disclosure: happy n' content BMW M5 E60 owner)

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Next car I buy will either be faster than the speed of light or will be large enough for me to travel and play pool in the back. I haven't decided yet.

why not go for both? You can play pool on the hood housing the 16 cylinder 1000 hp engine.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, i'm a girl who likes cars. Right now I drive something almost too practical but it works for me at the moment. One thing i've noticed over my years of driving is that most people don't know the first thing about driving for sport. Not that i'm an expert but way too many pimped out Neon drivers think all they have to do is punch it into second and stomp on the gas. Centrifugal force? What's that?

why not go for both? You can play pool on the hood housing the 16 cylinder 1000 hp engine.

you need a pimpmobile. bliss' travelin' ho house!