Simplistic view of the war on Iraq

aj2181: See right there! That proves my point. Conservitive demagoguery never contributes anything constructive to the situation.

If I was mistaken about the whole Sharon/ temple mount thing I retract that statement. I don't every want to be acused of quoting false info :)

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
gigantikok..

Your timing of the pronouncement that Iraq DOES have WMDs is serendipitous. The Washington Post reports today that Iraq does not have and has not had for a decade a nuclear weapons program. See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17707-2003Oct25.html

On another thread, I pointed out that a nuclear weapons program required massive amounts of electrical capacity; we should have known before going in and certainly as soon as early May that the Iraqi electrical capacity and grid was in shambles. The aluminum tubes could not have been adapted for use in a commercial centrifuge (without major retooling/reengineering/reconstruction). Unfortunately, for the Bush administration the laws of physics determine reality.

I checked out your urls. I remember reading the draft interim Kay report a week or so ago. Perhaps, the final report (after spending an additional $600 million) will be able to reach conclusions. I know this is hard to comprehend but academic knowledge is not a national program. Unless I misread, what (the materials) was found in the open and in hiding was less than what you would expect to find in say the top 100 technical colleges and univeristies in the U.S. I think I heard on tv that no information was found on making an antrax aerosol (weapons grade). In other words, to date there is NO evidence of a biological weapons program. It looks like Saddam largely complied with the U.N. resolutions.

About the NY Post story...botulinum toxin may be the most toxic organic in nature. Each year in the U.S., a few die from botulism. BUT is a hidden vial of botulinum toxin proof positive of a weapons program? I think not. It is not not even difficult to isolate. If I wanted to isolate a quantity of the toxic, I would go dumpster diving for spoiled food from a restaurant. Then, let it ripen for a day or two, liquify in a blender, filter, and subject the filtrate to gc/lc to achieve desired purity. Yep, this is undergrad stuff.

Iraqi WMDs remain a fantasy of the Bush administration and for me, only Words of Mass Deception.

jay

gushiggins: As a member of the Army Reserves stationed in Baghdad with the Iraqi Survey Group, I have firsthand knowledge of a lot of the shit that goes through here. While I cannot divulge anything because of classification and security reasons, I can say this: the Iraqi populace loves us. I can't get through a day without a countless number of locals wanting to thank me and talk to me and give me food. While, of course, there are still Saddam loyalists in Tikrit and Fallujah (they know that they will be targeted by the new government for doing so well under the old one, so they're fighting to keep what they had), my personal analysis is that the majority of people who are attacking coalition forces are Saudi, Syrian, and Jordanian. The Saudi extremist is an interesting one. The Saudi economic policy still follows the tribal path. Because there is so much demand for what's underneath the Saudi sand, a lot of Saudis got rich; they then gave all the top management positions to their family and tribe. Menial labor (and by menial I mean anything mid-management and below) was underneath the Saudi. What to do? A wonderful idea was to bring in Muslims from less developed countries: Pakistan, Afghanistan, and so on. They get paid well to do the labor, and they can send it back home. Win-win. However, there are only so many high-level positions for ethnic Saudis to go around; this creates wealthy, unemployed, disenfranchised offspring of oil and construction tycoons who blame all their troubles on. . . America. Anyone care to name someone who falls under this paradigm?

Regardless, my Reserve Unit has been mobilized since January and most of us were deployed last year as well. I'd like to see Regular Army (you know, meaning they don't have another full-time job) units do two years mobilized in a row. We've even got a soldier who, in his five and a half years in the Army Reserve, has had three months of not being on active duty. I'm all for going above and beyond the call of duty, but that's ridiculous.

Regards,
Z.

Maximillian: [quote author=headbang8 link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=20#21 date=10/24/03 at 20:49:12]When will you lame-ass pinko liberals learn?  You can't hope to understand the complexities of contemporary international geo-politics if you insist on using  simplistic terms like "right", "wrong" and "oil".   Get with the program, Sammygirly![/quote]

Actually sammy looks good in pink, especially if its an all over blush :D

P.S. the original post was meant as humor, just in case you missed the point so there is no "program" to get with. Now put the keyboard down and back away slowly and no one gets hurt. ;D

Tender: wow Gig,
i have to say, i liked your post there.
had many valid points...
strongly agree.
thanks for chiming in...
Tender

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh yeah, about the vial of botulinum toxin...we have millions of vials of the stuff distributed across this country.

Some even take them to parties...Botox Parties, ya know.

jay

da_blissmachine: and Pakistan, unlike Iraq, is known to have several dozen terrorist groups, including Taliban opperatives... Musharraf hardly controls the country and does not even have a firm control of his own government....

and they have nukes

of course, I'm prejudiced

gigantikok: [quote author=Tender link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=40#44 date=10/26/03 at 20:24:17]wow Gig,
i have to say, i liked your post there.
had many valid points...
strongly agree.
thanks for chiming in...
Tender [/quote]
Yay, finally someone agrees. As long as I reached out to someone, that is all that is important. :)

ORCABOMBER: Okay, just my two cents on the subject.

Firstly, lets state the obvious. When it comes to military presence, the US has the most powerful army. I mean, on a 1-1 fight, I'd say only China has a good chance, and that's only on home turf.

About the Israel crisis. I can "understand" the reasoning of both sides, but can't say I care enough. To be perfectly honest, they'll still be fighting when my fossil is unrecognisable as human.

As for the war on terror, well killing non-muslim terrorists would be a good start IMHO. I think the Northern Irish are getting fed up of car bombs for a start.

As for WMD, that is the stupidest fucking name I've ever heard. I think the "official US definition" must be weapons that are capable of killing people ONLY. Which is why the biological and chemical ones are so feared, yet Napalm and MOABs which are probably historically infamous are not, as well as agent orange, which is a "weedkiller" (that kills humans by co-incidence! :D )

As for the removal of Saddam, well, as a tyrant, well, there's worse, as a nuclear threat, there's worse, as a pretty nasty guy, there's worse. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, the US could easily take any other country 1-1, 2-1, heck, 15-1 and still come out on tops, it's a polite folly to think that the allied nations are nothing more than infants with big guns. I mean, how long would Britain last? 3 hours if we're lucky.

My point? Well, it seems to be inevitable that conflict is only going to be spread further and further. The bad guys, unfortunately, do get support and it wont be long until someone gets paranoid, turns around and says "hey, why're you helping 'them'?" and the rest is history.

longtimelurker: I'm going to add just a coule of quick points here and watch the ensuing brawl...

Firstly - the British intelligence original report stated that invading Iraq would actually increase the risk of terrorism to the invading nations. Fortunately for Blair, this snippet of information accidentally 'fell off the table' when compiling the UN dossier.

Secondly - now that we have attacked Iraq and not N Korea (who DEFINATELY has WMD and is even flaunting them) along with others, we have just proven that all despotic regimes require is nuclear weapons as defense against invasion. Goodbye nuclear non-proliferation treaty. I mean, Iran has almost definately picked that one up already.

Inwood: Israel -- like the U.S. -- is a republic with democratic institutions. Both at times are considered to be under the control of small groups of people with their own agendas. Still to get to power these small groups have to convince voters to put them in office. I prefer that to countries where the rulers are more self annointed and feel less beholding to their own citizens to remain in power.

With out the use of nuclear weapons in a fight, Britian could actually hold off an invader quite well. It's one of the advantages of being an island nation. You have to go across water to get there and it's not like you just hop in a motor boat and pull up to the quay. Aside from having to determine the tides, landing area conditions, etc. for the area you want to land at you also have to launch a large enough group so that out of the number of craft lost you still have something of an effective fighting force left to try to take a beachhead. Then you still have to supply that beachhead under fire from a foe who will be quite determined to drive you back into the sea. And don't think it will be only guns that they'll use. Amongst many things will be oil slicks on the water that can be lit to burn up invading troups. And the list goes on. Churchill was quite imaginative in what he suggested they do if the Germans had tried to invade in World War II.

So the US is strong but I'd be very wary of saying we can go it alone for ever and ever. Plus as good as our soldiers are trained they can't fight continously. And we are seriously over stretched right now. We need to make sure they have everything they need to finish this job and get back safe to their families and the US.

As to Israel being the only country that uses torture I suppose it depends on how you define the word but it's interesting that after we're through with some of our prisoners and give them back to their own countries it's amazing what else is found out once they're "home." Did those places just ask pretty please tell us what you did this summer? So me thinks it's naivé to state there is only one country that uses torture.

As to a constitution, well Britain doesn't have a constitution either. The Soviet Union had a constitution lot of good it did. As to citizenship in Israel there are several groups who aren't Jewish who not only reside as citizens in Israel but are also represented in the Knesset. Are they always treated as well as other citizens. Probably about as much as some African Americans are treated in some parts of the southern part of the US. The difference again being in Israel you can bring up the mistreatment and not be shot for doing it and maybe even get the situation changed. Not many other countries in that area can say the same thing.

Anyway, these are just points of view and I'm sure I could find other things to comment on but my quiche needs to be cooked and I'm hungry. Have fun with the thread.

ORCABOMBER: Speaking of quiches, I could really do with one now! :-/

longtimelurker: [quote author=Inwood link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=40#50 date=10/27/03 at 16:37:40]
As to a constitution, well Britain doesn't have a constitution either. [/quote]

I'll have you know that we do have a constitution - King John signed the Magna Carta in 1215!

Other than that it's in a load of diverse places so it's a bit more muddled than the majority of other cases, but we still do have a code of law - you just need to know where to look for it.

Inwood: I based my statement on my memory of a passage from one of Churchill's (yes my favorite englishman) book's about the war and I believe his discussing his powers as PM and the extreme powers he was invested with during the war.

However just to be sure I looked up some information on the Magna Carta and the Constitution of USA. So I believe my statement is still correct but obviously we owe a great debt to the idea established in the Magna Carta that the rule of law applied to all including the ruler.

Following is the site if you wish to peruse it.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/featured_documents/magna_carta/

Yet as close as Magna Carta and American concepts of liberty are, they remain distinct. Magna Carta is a charter of ancient liberties guaranteed by a king to his subjects; the Constitution of the United States is the establishment of a government by and for "We the People."

Javierdude22: Oi...how could I have missed this?!

O well, you're never too late.

On th Isreal-palestine conflict thing. AJ, you were right about Sharon causing the upsurge and the 2nd Intifada. However, the site is holy to both Jews and Muslims so I can hardly call it a 'reason' to start the Intifada.

Both Isreal and Palestine are doing some really shitty things currently. Both are not doing anything to resolve this, especially since two hawks (Sharon and Arafat) are leaders. However, we did see suicide bombs go off with Rabin, Peres, Barak and Netanyahu as well. Three of them pleaded peace and did a lot to pursue it.

But if we go back, than in  my opinion Israel has every right to defend itsself like it does. Look, the Jews have been slaughtered by many countries, often systematically, and espcially during the 2nd WW. They were like gypsies, outcasts without a country. They were offered a country by Britain in 1903, the current Uganda (hello!?) but Jerusalem and the land around it was their homecountry, the Holy land. So after a lotta hassle (Nobody wanted to give Israel their own land) Britain divided Palestine and Israel up in to two parts (both had good pieces of land). The Arab countries around it said they would attack the country immediately, as they have a deep and biblical hate towards eachother, if they would get an independant country. Some leaders even professed to 'wipe it off the map' so the Palestinians could have all the land.

In 1948, a day after independancy was claimed, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt and Saudi Arabia attacked Israel. All of them, with a political mandate of even more countries. Israel had no weapons at all, it is said they had one fighterplane and a buncha canons. After a few days of hard battle, the US helped them out. And they won, and took more land they were entitled to according to how the British divided it. In my opnion, that is tough noogies on the Palestinians for starting the war anyways. Many palestinians became homeless (again, tough luck IMO), a consequence of war. In 1967 the same ritual started. I dont know hów many Arab countries attacked Israel at the same time, thinking they would surely win. The lost, and big stretches of land to go with it. In my opinion again, tough noogies on all of them, if you have the talk, do the walk and dont cry when you lose. Thats like saying you wanna play poker for 100 dollars but ask the money back when you lose.

So in that respect, I think the current situation is justifiable in the Israelian case. Israel has even given all the surrounding countries their land back.

On the Iraqi thing. Gig, I still think you have a very one sided view to this, believing everything coming from the conservative side, and literally nothing coming from the 'liberal' side (liberal in the US is conservative to us Dutch, Liberal in Holland is blasfemy in the US). And that simply cause its liberal.

I keep open the notion that WMD might be found. It might very well be that Saddam hid them in a very good place somewhere. But like Inwood said, it was hardly the reason to invade Iraq. And that is what stings me the most. That an administration will taunt world politics, peace, and prosperity without even a sigh or second thought that easily, scares me. A world power cannot stir up the world with information that is not solid as a rock. 'Pro active defence' is something that hurts my ears in the meantime as more soldiers and civilians have been killed, and more soldiers are in need of therapy than this entire operation is trying to prevent eventually. And no, helping the Iraqi people be free from a dictator was not the first, second, third, and not even fourth reason Bush invaded Iraq. It was a bonus. Merely...

balls: [quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=40#54 date=10/29/03 at 03:27:05] And no, helping the Iraqi people be free from a dictator was not the first, second, third, and not even fourth reason Bush invaded Iraq. It was a bonus. Merely...
[/quote]
I respectfully disagree. It is my opinion that this was reason number two on the list, at least. This is just me speculating but my opinion is that the gov't used WMD as reason number one so the people would support the gov't with a sense of urgency. It was what people could understand. Freeing the Iraqi people is part of a larger picture of injecting democracy into the Muslim world as part of a larger plan to hopefully topple the current Iranian theocracy and so on. They are hoping for a chain of events that may take place over the next ten to twenty years that will eventually bring democracy and to the people of the middle east. They are trying to destabilize the region. The gov't can't go out and say this so they needed an argument that people could understand and care about.
Sometimes you have to break some eggs right?

ORCABOMBER: [quote author=balls link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=40#55 date=10/29/03 at 05:57:06]
[/quote]

Depends on whether they have wives and children I suppose! :D

God I'm hungry!

longtimelurker: [quote author=Inwood link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=40#53 date=10/28/03 at 19:04:07]
Yet as close as Magna Carta and American concepts of liberty are, they remain distinct. Magna Carta is a charter of ancient liberties guaranteed by a king to his subjects; the Constitution of the United States is the establishment of a government by and for "We the People."[/quote]

As it's not really the point of this thread, I'll keep this (mercifully) brief. The Magna Carta is just one part of our constitution - really it is in a whole bunch of places rather than in one collected volume and is thus termed an 'unwritten' or 'uncodified' institution. For a more in-depth discussion you can look at: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/british_constitution1.htm

Inwood: Thanks, longtimelurker, it was "unwritten constitution" that I believe Churchill mentioned. I guess I was seeing "constitution" with US eyes. Think I could still substitute "Unwritten C." for my post though and have it make sense. Well I hope.

Javierdude22: [quote author=balls link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=40#55 date=10/29/03 at 05:57:06]
[/quote]

I'm still waiting for the omelette...

Hope the Chef didn't burn it...