Singer/songwriter Kate McGarrigle passed away 1-21-10

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dave NoCal, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Kate mcGarrigle passed away December 21st, 2010, the same day as our beloved Jason.

She was kind of under the radar but active in the folk/roots music scene since the seventies. She was once married to singer/songwriter Loudon Wainwright III and was the mother of singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright and singer/actress Martha Wainwright. Much of her recording works was done with her sister Anna McGarrigle.

In recent years she toured with Rufus and performed as recently on 12-9-09 at Royal Albert Hall in London. She died of metastacized colon cancer and was only sixty-three years of age.

Attached are a couple of clips. In the first she, playing the concertina, and Anna, along with Rufus and Martha perform Stephen Foster's Hard Times Come Again No More with friends Mary Black (a well-know Irish folk singer) and the incomparable Emmy Lou Harris. This was probably quite a few years ago as Rufus appears to be in his very early twenties and he is now in his mid-thirties.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YrfLnlrquo

Here she accompanies and sings with her children Rufus and Martha, who has an "unusual" voice. This was December 9, 2009 barely five weeks before her passing. Rufus is tearful and it looks like sis has to take over for a while. This was her last performance and it seems certain to me that everyone involved knew it. I love the way her family seems to have rallied around her allowing her to keep doing what she loved.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md9wbsCu88w

Here, on December 7, 2009 she accompanies Rufus who sings Over The Rainbow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEc-d0w7r_s

What can I say, the sun hasn't shone in two weeks and I'm getting mopey.
    Dave

2. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Dave, I'm really glad you posted the links to Kate and Rufus's videos in the thread for Jason. They were beautiful and appropriate. I'm sad that you're sad... just remember that the Wainwright/McGarrigle family has created a legacy of excellent music. (Hell, I'd even include Dead Skunk in the legacy. It's all good.)

Remember to fix the date in your post

3. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, gymfresh. I'm fine really, just have an exaggerated sense of poignancy. I hope you liked the videos. It seems to me that staying present with someone who is dying has got to be one of the most difficult things to do and I love that her family rallied around her.
    Dave

4. Cougar

Cougar New Member

Albums:
    Dave, thank you so much for bringing Kate mcGarrigle to my attention. I had not heard her before. Simply beautiful. It is sad I had to learn of her this way.

5. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cougar, you are most welcome. Gald you liked the clips. In fairness to her daughter, Martha, who sounded very "reedy" in the non-professional recording, I'm posting this.
    Dave
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzZ20q7QC8

6. BIGDP

BIGDP Member

Albums:
    Dave, thank you so much for posting these.

I have been a fan of the Wainwright/McGarrigle family for some time, and I just read of her passing today and was surprised. My sympathies are with her kids and other family.

What a musical legacy! Let's enjoy all of the family members.
    David P.

7. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the obit Dave. I became a fan of Kate and her sister through Linda Ronstadt. I loved their music. I still listen to their Christmas album every year.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

The McGarrigles were really something ... amateurish in the best way. I've always enjoyed them a lot.
    Some people might like to watch this video, a CBC-TV story about them when they were still just emerging, back in 1977.
    They were already all about an anti-glitz approach ... no musical director, no wardrobe assistants, no high gloss background musicians ... just a kind of musical family, including long-time friends, who made simple music that was uniquely communicative.
    (Rufus, just three, makes a couple of charming appearances.)

And Dave, you should have a mod change the dates you've given for Kate's death. She died on January 18th.

9. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Correction: Her death was the eighteenth or the nineteenth. Sorry!
    Dave

10. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    One shameless bump.

Draft saved Draft deleted