Sins of omission

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Last week, CBS Evening News ran this touching pro-Bush story of newlyweds gushing over what a great job Bush is doing with the economy.

When Andrea and Dennis Cariello got married last year, they thought their taxes would go up, and were dreading writing out that check on April 15. But instead, they got back $4,000.

"It was just a tremendously wonderful surprise that we weren't being hit at the same rate I'd expected, and we weren't being hit with the marriage penalty," says Dennis Cariello.

The Cariellos are putting the money right back into the economy, and that means fixing up their house.

They've got just one request. "I'd tell the President to keep doing what he's doing and hopefully drop taxes down even further," says Dennis Cariello.

Well, it turns out, effusive Dennis Cariello is president of the New York Young Republicans and a delegate to the national GOP convention.

CBS has not yet acknowledged the obvious partisanship. Omitting this info is a serious breach of journalistic ethics. (Disagree? Imagine if they had allowed me free airtime to endorse a candidate during their broadcast, under the guise of 'news', and without being subject to FEC regulations!)

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mindseye...

I found the story moving....err, excuse me.

Back from the potty break. :p

Sorry about that; but it is easier to laugh at the Young Republicans than to take some of their pronouncements seriously. CBS on the otherhand is due for the same scrutiny as the NY Times has gotten over imperfect journalism.

jay

wvalady1968: You know, the real problem is that too many people still think America's "news" television IS news. It's entertainment. Pablum for the masses. lol

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Update:

Yesterday evening, CBS edited the story to reflect Cariello's association with the Republican party. It was a whole week after the story was initially broadcast, but better late than never.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by wvalady1968@Jul 13 2004, 01:06 AM
You know, the real problem is that too many people still think America's "news" television IS news. It's entertainment. Pablum for the masses. lol
Amen to that. Well said, Allie.

SG