Sir, you're too fat.....

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If a bartender can flag someone because they're too drunk, should a waitress be able to flag someone because they're too fat???

God forbid you call someone out for being fat... but you can easily say, sir, you're too drunk! Obesity is a severe problem in America.

Call me an asshole... but does my logic seem reasonable?

How is a waitress qualified to judge who is too fat? If I were a restaurateur, I'd be happy to have fat people eat at my place because they might order more food. If anything, I'd tell the wait staff to be more friendly to fat people.

It's also not like fat people don't know they're fat the same way some drunk people don't know they're too drunk for public drinking. They certainly don't need a wait person to decide what they can and can't eat. That should be left to the dietary and medical professionals who have the expertise to help fat people decide what to eat and when. Maybe the fat person you're going to serve is just eating a normal meal that's part of a medically-approved weight loss plan.

So long as a fat person doesn't interfere with your life because that person is too fat for whatever, then who are you to complain about it?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If a bartender can flag someone because they're too drunk, should a waitress be able to flag someone because they're too fat???

God forbid you call someone out for being fat... but you can easily say, sir, you're too drunk! Obesity is a severe problem in America.

Call me an asshole... but does my logic seem reasonable?
Yes, you are an asshole! :angryfire2: Obese people are nothing like drunk people! Obese people never clean out a buffet then get in their car to drive home and kill somebody. :rolleyes: :duh:

How is a waitress qualified to judge who is too fat? If I were a restaurateur, I'd be happy to have fat people eat at my place because they might order more food. If anything, I'd tell the wait staff to be more friendly to fat people.
Agreed.

It's also not like fat people don't know they're fat the same way some drunk people don't know they're too drunk for public drinking. They certainly don't need a wait person to decide what they can and can't eat. That should be left to the dietary and medical professionals who have the expertise to help fat people decide what to eat and when. Maybe the fat person you're going to serve is just eating a normal meal that's part of a medically-approved weight loss plan.

So long as a fat person doesn't interfere with your life because that person is too fat for whatever, then who are you to complain about it?[/QUOTE] He's being a butthead.

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok... so if I witnessed someone littering a public park... I shouldn't be saying anything?
or if I witnessed a girl making herself ill after eating (to bring it back to the health thing)... cant say anything?

Clearly, I can't go around telling anyone they're too fat if I don't know them, but think about it.... I believe this is a genuine issue and I feel awkward for partially being responsible for prolonging it.

I love how I'm now being accused of being "co-dependent."

Media
The classic response here would be "I may be fat, but I can do something about it. You're an idiot and can't do a thing about it.":biggrin1:

Not directed at you jjsjr.

Last edited:

Ok... so if I witnessed someone littering a public park... I shouldn't be saying anything?

Littering is a crime because it damages public and private property and creates work that costs someone else money to correct.

Being fat does not.

or if I witnessed a girl making herself ill after eating (to bring it back to the health thing)... cant say anything?

Nope. None of your business. Maybe she ate bad fish or has a stomach bug. Not up to you to nanny people who aren't asking for your assistance or concern.

Clearly, I can't go around telling anyone they're too fat if I don't know them, but think about it.... I believe this is a genuine issue and I feel awkward for partially being responsible for prolonging it.

What on earth makes you believe you have any responsibility for what these people eat? Are you selling some dietetic product under the false claim it has zero calories when it actually is loaded with them? Because if you aren't, then it isn't your business. Free yourself and realize that other people are responsible for their choices in life.

Further, why are you judging these people on their weight? Do you live in California? Fat people aren't any less intelligent or sensitive or deserving of mutual respect than anyone else so why label them as less worthy of serving. Christ, the last thing you do is deprive a dieter of food as that sends the body into starvation mode, slowing the metabolism to make losing weight even more difficult. Even if they're not dieting, it's still none of your business to tell them what to do or eat and it's not your fault either.

I'm not trying to be cruel here, but it's like asking a waitress to vet the skin color of people back in the days of Jim Crow (which they did!). "Too dark, send 'em to the back room."

I love how I'm now being accused of being "co-dependent."

If you're taking responsibility for people over whom you have no right to do so, then yeah, you're being co-dependent.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh dear. Another example of someone who's really attractive until they open their mouth.

Now now.....being overintoxicated is a concern for everyone, esp on the road. Being over fed or obese is a self concern....or at least for people that can help it but either way someone eating too much isn't going to hurt another person.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Drinking is a legal issue. Trust me, a bar would love to keep people drinking. They make more money. But if something happens, like an accident, the restaurant could be held liable. They are just covering their own asses.

And a manager would fire a waiteress for telling a person to stop eating. Not because of a health concern, because that is how the restaurant makes money. If anything, the waiter is requires to try to upsell items. They try to sell you an alchoholic drink, and appetizer, an entre, and coffee with dessert. That is known as the perfect check and some restaurants even have server contests on who can get the most in a given time frame.

So keep your morals to yourself.