Six dead, 16 injured in Valentine's Day campus massacre

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted already and I waited for someone else to.

Though I doubt they will count for much, my condolences to those directly or indirectly touched by this event.

I don't know what disturbs me more, the event itself or my lack of surprise at seeing another such incident so close on the heels of the previous one. I expect the usual arguments will ensue, and ultimately nothing will change.

Except of course for the friends and families affected by these tragedies.

Six dead, 16 injured in Valentine's Day campus massacre - Yahoo! News UK

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This time at a University in Illinois. I guess it's just a fact of life, and seems to surprise people less and less. You just hope for the best to the next shooting that your loved ones are safe.

Six dead in Illinois university shooting | Reuters

DEKALB, Illinois (Reuters) - A black-clad man fired into a lecture hall packed with students at an Illinois university on Thursday, killing five people and wounding 18 before shooting himself dead, police and college officials said.
The gunman, who police said had a shotgun and two handguns, stepped onto the lecturer's stage near the end of a mid-afternoon geology class at Northern Illinois University and began shooting down the room, sending terrified and bleeding students fleeing, witnesses said. He then shot himself on the same stage.
Police on the 25,000-student college 65 miles (104 km) west of Chicago said the gunman was a former student but they did not publicly identify him and said they did not know the motive in the latest in a series of shootings at U.S. colleges and high schools.
University President John Peters said there had been a "very brief rapid fire assault that ended with the gunman taking his own life." He said those killed by the gunman were all students -- four women and one man -- and that 4 were in critical condition in hospitals. The instructor teaching the class survived, he said.
"I ducked behind the seats and ran out the door," student Zach Seward told the local Daily Chronicle newspaper.
"As I was running, I just kept waiting for something to hit me in the back. I didn't know where to run, tried to decide where it's safe to be, and there isn't anywhere safe."
FORMER STUDENT

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's so sad. My thoughts are with their families and friends. It's worrying that these tragedies are becoming a way of life now, almost like suicide bombings in Iraq. At the Virgina Tech massacre last year, I found myself stunned and saddened by it, after seeing several this week, it nearly becomes, "oh, there's another one".

It's four lives lost and hundreds, maybe thousands, ruined. Why would someone do this? When will USA learn to ban guns, it's not doing any good.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted already and I waited for someone else to.

Though I doubt they will count for much, my condolences to those directly or indirectly touched by this event.

I don't know what disturbs me more, the event itself or my lack of surprise at seeing another such incident so close on the heels of the previous one. I expect the usual arguments will ensue, and ultimately nothing will change.

Except of course for the friends and families affected by these tragedies.

This happened at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb, IL (about 45 minutes from my home) not at University of Illinois which is in Champgaine/Urbana.

Six dead, 16 injured in Valentine's Day campus massacre - Yahoo! News UK

I know this tradegy hit our little town. One of the shooting victims was my next door neighbor growing up. Thank goodness, he will be okay. But my condolances and well wishes to the families that were affected.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Read this article.

"DEKALB, Illinois (CNN) -- Northern Illinois University on Friday identified the man who fatally shot five people in a classroom as Steven P. Kazmierczak, whom police described as an award-winning student "revered" by colleagues and faculty.

Kazmierczak, 27, who police said shot 21 people before shooting and killing himself, was an award-winning sociology student and a leader of a campus criminal justice group, according to school Web sites.

Concealing a shotgun in a guitar case, and tucking three other guns under his coat, Kazmierczak walked into a geology class in an NIU lecture hall Thursday afternoon and began firing, police said. The graduate student stopped to reload his shotgun before he took his own life, police said.
School President John Peters said Friday, without giving a name, that the shooter had graduated in 2006 with an undergraduate degree in sociology and then went on to do some graduate work through 2007.

He "had a very good academic record" and "was a very good student," Peters said, adding that there was "no indication" of any trouble involving him.

Kazmierczak had no arrest record and no known history of mental illness, and he had a valid state-required firearm ID card, so he had no problem buying the guns, one law enforcement source said."

And this. From cnn.com

"University Police Chief Donald Grady said people close to Kazmierczak have told authorities he was taking medication but had stopped and had become "somewhat erratic" in the last couple of weeks.

Grady would not name the medication Kazmierczak had been using or the condition for which he was taking it."

Now, I tell you, this is very sad. This is where I got my undergraduate degree in 1991. I attended classes in the very classroom where this shooting took place. My father got two of his graduate degrees there.

You would have never thought that anything like this could have happened like this at NIU in DeKalb, IL. It's such a small city with only 40,000 people. And it is very safe. The whole city is surrounded by corn fields.

I'm just blown away and I don't know what else to say but...

The sheeple are trying to blame, guns, medications, and the level of violence in video games, society or television or movies.

But I think We did this to ourselves. It's not about medications, it's not guns, it's not about simple violence.

It's about the lack of any attention paid to mental health treatment for people who are mentally ill.

First we don't know why he stopped taking his medications. We don't know what the medications were and what they were for. In my humble opinion, no one does something like this who is sane. I think they will discover that he had mental illness. If the meds were psychiatric meds and he chose to take himself off of his meds, as many mentally ill people do, then the medication is not to blame.

What is to blame is society for having dismantled the mental health system in this country. People who are mentally ill need services. They need monitoring and many of them need a place to stay because they are disabled and cannot maintain independent living.

We closed all the mental health facilities in the 80s and we are paying for it. We have gutted funding for mental health services. So we have no one to monitor people who need to take medication to remain functional. So we have people like this guy who take themselves off of their medication and we pay a heavy price.

So, where's the outcry for better mental health treatment, or any mental health treatment at all? No, instead people will blame guns, medications, violence in general etc. while continuing to build gated communities and burying their heads in the sand... :mad:

It's just sad.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, Dong. I looked and looked and the title didn't make this obvious for me because I was looking for NIU or something... Sorry.

It's odd, I waited until someone else posted it, then within a minute or two of me doing so, Mem posted one too. I thought the Valentines title from the news article was especially poignant, or at least topical so I left it.

Either way, it was sad day for a lot of people.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Read this article.

"DEKALB, Illinois (CNN) -- Northern Illinois University on Friday identified the man who fatally shot five people in a classroom as Steven P. Kazmierczak, whom police described as an award-winning student "revered" by colleagues and faculty.

Kazmierczak, 27, who police said shot 21 people before shooting and killing himself, was an award-winning sociology student and a leader of a campus criminal justice group, according to school Web sites.

Concealing a shotgun in a guitar case, and tucking three other guns under his coat, Kazmierczak walked into a geology class in an NIU lecture hall Thursday afternoon and began firing, police said. The graduate student stopped to reload his shotgun before he took his own life, police said.
School President John Peters said Friday, without giving a name, that the shooter had graduated in 2006 with an undergraduate degree in sociology and then went on to do some graduate work through 2007.

He "had a very good academic record" and "was a very good student," Peters said, adding that there was "no indication" of any trouble involving him.

Kazmierczak had no arrest record and no known history of mental illness, and he had a valid state-required firearm ID card, so he had no problem buying the guns, one law enforcement source said."

And this. From cnn.com

"University Police Chief Donald Grady said people close to Kazmierczak have told authorities he was taking medication but had stopped and had become "somewhat erratic" in the last couple of weeks.

Grady would not name the medication Kazmierczak had been using or the condition for which he was taking it."

Now, I tell you, this is very sad. This is where I got my undergraduate degree in 1991. I attended classes in the very classroom where this shooting took place. My father got two of his graduate degrees there.

You would have never thought that anything like this could have happened like this at NIU in DeKalb, IL. It's such a small city with only 40,000 people. And it is very safe. The whole city is surrounded by corn fields.

I'm just blown away and I don't know what else to say but...

The sheeple are trying to blame, guns, medications, and the level of violence in video games, society or television or movies.

But I think We did this to ourselves. It's not about medications, it's not guns, it's not about simple violence.

It's about the lack of any attention paid to mental health treatment for people who are mentally ill.

First we don't know why he stopped taking his medications. We don't know what the medications were and what they were for. In my humble opinion, no one does something like this who is sane. I think they will discover that he had mental illness. If the meds were psychiatric meds and he chose to take himself off of his meds, as many mentally ill people do, then the medication is not to blame.

What is to blame is society for having dismantled the mental health system in this country. People who are mentally ill need services. They need monitoring and many of them need a place to stay because they are disabled and cannot maintain independent living.

We closed all the mental health facilities in the 80s and we are paying for it. We have gutted funding for mental health services. So we have no one to monitor people who need to take medication to remain functional. So we have people like this guy who take themselves off of their medication and we pay a heavy price.

So, where's the outcry for better mental health treatment, or any mental health treatment at all? No, instead people will blame guns, medications, violence in general etc. while continuing to build gated communities and burying their heads in the sand... :mad:

It's just sad.

You know, I had just been thinking about the dismantling of mental health facilities in recent years. It was a combination of what someone was talking about, specifically about homeless people, which brought back a memory of something we'd talked about in a church service once (one of the UU services, not the fundie services from when I was growing up). I know that the mental health facilities had their problems...a couple of fictional accounts of those problems were the movie The Snake Pit and the book and movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But dismantling the system put a lot more people out there to be homeless, or to go off their medications and do things like these shootings.

There needs to be a middle ground. Have facilities for the mentally ill, but also keep close tabs on them to make sure that the abuses that had occurred in the facilites previously, do not happen again. Unfortunately, a lot of times costs are cut for these facilities in the interest of "saving taxpayers' money" and the patients don't get the attention and help that they need.