Six Pack Advice Please

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Adam70, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Adam70

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey All, not sure this is the right threat to post this in but not sure
    where else.

I am a regular gym goer and watch what I eat. Sure, I can perhaps
    cut out more carbs but even when I eat little, I still seem to keep
    some flab. I am prepared to work hard to get a six pack including
    external obliques but somehow seem not to be able to achieve that.
    Any advice from any of the many guys with flat sexy stomach would
    be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

The quickest way to 6-pack abs.

Seriously though, it's extremely difficult once you are over 30 to lose weight and maintain the healthy figure of your youth. Your body is like a car, it requires constant maintenance. Older cars might require more maintenance than newer models.

Shortening the Road to a Six-Pack
    Good nutrition, Calabrese says, is absolutely essential for overall physique. Calabrese employs the garbage-in, garbage-out theory. Consuming most of your calories from processed and fast foods, she says, is going to produce an unhealthy body lacking in nutrients. Make good food choices, on the other hand, and you're on your way to a leaner you.

"If you're eating natural and whole foods you can eat more than if you're eating processed foods," says Calabrese.

Though Calabrese says it comes down to the equation of calories-in, calories-out, she doesn't recommend counting calories. She advises eating five to six small meals a day. This way, she says, your metabolism keeps stoked all day long, which gives you energy and keeps you from overeating.

"Exercise alone is great for expending calories, but without watching your diet, it's going to be a long, slow road to getting a six-pack." For your abdominal muscles to show, you have to shed the fat that lies on top.

Cardiovascular conditioning, whether it's running, walking, or taking a cycling or dance class, can help burn calories. Combined with a balanced diet, aerobic exercise helps you lose the fat built up above the muscle.

Experts agree that the combination of a healthful, nutritious diet and cardiovascular exercise are needed to train your abdominal muscles.

3. trebor_mints

trebor_mints Member

A mate of mine suggested this approach a few months back and after some reluctance, I have adopted this approach. And I think it is starting to work.

I have my breakfast, some mid-morning around 10am, something for lunch at 12pm, another snack around 2pm and then a meal at around 5:30pm.

Just need to apply it to the weekends now lol!

It's a bit of a learning curve, and I think I could still cut out some crap. But I am slowly starting to see some results. My stomach is definitely flatter.

I tie this in with two sessions of interval based cardio on the cross-trainer/elliptical, a session of resistance and two sessions of pilates.

My problem has always been impatience, and this is killing me lol! But I'm sure I will get where I want to eventually.

Have you tried talking to one of the advisors at the gym? I have found mine very helpful and they have offered lots of useful advice :)

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Having abs that show is all about body fat. The less body fat you have, the more your abs will show. I work out 4-5 days a week and would need to add much more cardio in order to see my abs.

#4 Lex, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  5. EL_Duderino

EL_Duderino New Member

your body fat % is probably more important to having a nice six pack then your actual abdominal muscle is but don't overlook that either. most people make the mistake of doing just one thing to get abs. for one u need to work on mid line stabilization when working out in all ways. honestly stop playing with machines and start doing athletic movements. do a lot of varied ab work outs for instance do each exercise for 30 seconds then switch quickly to another ab exercise and continue that for as long as you can maintain it or when u get really good whatever you feel is needed. and don't stop when it burns just work through it. as far as diet goes you should probably cut out processed foods as much as possible anyways. they are terrible in most every way. don't eat bread, grains, rice, or pasta. increase your fat intake not saturated fat of course, and don't try to over load on protein like so man at the gym do. picking up running would probably be real helpful too. it's really overall fitness thats needed to get the abs you want.

some people just have great genetics and no matter what they eat it makes no difference. but most people can achieve the six pack abs if they really work extremely hard at it every day. but on the other side of that, there are some people who just won't really be able to get there, but i honestly think thats a very small group and with the right effort anyone can really change there body type. its just that most people think they are working really hard and don't really understand what type of effort being very fit requires. work hard and eat right and you should be really happy with the results. I find that six pack abs are one of the most desired goals for a lot of gym goers but they all make a half hearted effort to achieve them because either they don't know what to do or don't really want to put the effort in thats needed.

6. EL_Duderino

EL_Duderino New Member

o and don't start skipping meals thinking thats the ticket to losing weight. u actually need to engage your metabolism to lose weight properly. so start eating as early as you can, eat a lot of fruits and veggies and make sure you are getting enough sleep.

7. D_Ambrosius Bartelthwack

D_Ambrosius Bartelthwack Account Disabled

I agree with what's being said - garbage in, garbage out is a theme I live by, in every way. I try my best to stay away from processed foods, being aware of my fiber intake, as well as unnecessary caloric intake. The only time I increase my calories is if I'm wanting to bulk up. Diet is the key, much moreso that exercise, I believe. However, something I feel many people fail at when trying to get into shape is that they ONLY work the "mirror muscles" and fail to work their legs. Your legs are the largest muscles in your body, and thus expend more calories when worked out, as well as causes your body to release more human growth hormone, increasing muscularity throughout your entire body. When you are working out, stick to body weight and free weights, versus machines, remember your legs, and try to always keep your heart rate high enough to break a sweat. No long breaks.

8. Truck

Truck New Member

eat less 'cardio' more.

repeat till abs :p

9. D_Odipherous Pitts

D_Odipherous Pitts Account Disabled

I have to agree with most of the posters here in this thread. Your diet will be primariyl responsible (up to 75% of your success) for losing bodyfat or gaining muscle mass. The results are not seen so much from what you do in the gym as much as what you do in the kitchen.

Everyone is also different in their metabolism, etc. so one diet plan may work for someone but not for you. It is a trial and error process at times to find a program that works best for you. However, to be successful (long lasting results) you really need to change your current lifestyle eating and physical exercise habits to get leaner and stay that way.

You may lose a bunch of body fat on a certain diet but if it's a grueling voyage to get there you'll probably not keep it off. Taking the fat off slowly through a well balanced and sensible approach will usually result in a better long lasting and successful fat loss and a better appearance.

Being in shape and looking good is as satisfying (or perhaps more so) than having a big cock in that EVERYONE can see and admire your accomplishments instead of just the ones seeing you nude.

10. B_ScottWilliamsonOC

B_ScottWilliamsonOC New Member

Has most have said.. it is what you eat.

Here is a quick and dirty guideline, at a macro level...

1. Take your body weight and times it by 10. So, If you weight 180 pounds, 200 x 10 = 2000. This is about how many calories you need for a weight loss / cutting diet.

2. Divide the calories from above by 5. So, 2000 / 5 = 400. This is about how many calories you need to eat for each meal. Five meals a day. For each meal, try 40/40/20... 40% calories from protein, 40% calories from carbs, 20% calories from fat.

3. Protein... chicken, lean meats, fish are all good sources of protein. Protein shakes mixed in our not bad.

4. Carbs... complex carbs. Look at the amount of sugar compared to carbs on the package. Brown rice, potatoes, pasta (no sauce), whole wheat breads are good. Make sure you toss fruit into the mix.

5. Drink water. Period. 1 to 1 1/2 gallons per day. Drink all day. If you are full of water, you will not be as hungry.

6. Cardio. Fasted cardio (in the morning before you eat.) 4 times a day for at least 45 minutes.

7. Weights. 3 times a day, but you are looking for just toning. Two exercises per muscle group a week. 3 to 4 sets of 10 reps at about 60 to 70% max one rep. Do not go into a muscle mass building phase on this diet.. it will not work. This diet and exercise program is for weight loss or cutting.

8. Supplements. The only supplement that really worked was the ECA stack. Since a handful of people abused it, the millions that took it as directed can not get it. I have tried other supplements and they do not work the same. Forget about supplements. Just take a little longer getting to your goal.

9. No junk food, but I allow one cheat meal per week. Maybe a couple slices of pizza and a soad. But that is it. Nothing else for the week.

9. Do not get carried away weighing yourself everyday. I weigh myself once a week. Get a pair of calipers to measure your bodyfat.

This is a generally guideline to start with. You will most likely have to make small adjustmests are you go along. Your goal should be about 1 to 2 lbs weight loss per week. Once you get down to about 8 to 10% body fat, you should start to see your abs. Hope this helps.

Before you know it, girls (or guys) will be running your hands all over your abs... :p

11. dingdong

dingdong Member

This will sound really dumb, but I'm confused about why processed foods are bad.

Let's say you eat 5 times a day at regular intervals, and do all the exercise and cardio etc.....but your 5 meals are actually 5 large portions of fries from McDonalds.

Surely, if you do the maths, you'll still be burning more calories than you are eating? Isn't a calorie, STILL a calorie, regardless of where it came from? Doesn't 200 calories from a portion of fries give you the same amount of energy, as 200 calories from a bit of roast chicken? Also why does it matter if your calories come from protein or carbohydrates?

12. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

I'll simplify this... garbage in, garbage out. go ahead and test your theory. eat at mcdonalds. It's not just calories it nutrients and vitamins. the first step for everyone should be a good multivitamin.

13. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

cardio 45 minutes 4 times a day. lift weights 3 times a day? did you mean a week?

14. B_ScottWilliamsonOC

B_ScottWilliamsonOC New Member

Yes.. a week! :eek:

15. dingdong

dingdong Member

lol, I know that my "theory" is wrong :tongue:, but I just don't understand why it is wrong. I don't eat mcdonalds/take out anyway, but that's because I don't like the taste of them - not because I consciously view them as junk, although I know that that's what they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted