Size and Visual Reference

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I was gonna share this on the Ashley Parker Angel thread, but I decided to open it up for discussion here.

Okay, so his girlfriend comments on how her mother caught him with morning wood at the refrigerator and she called it a "big ol' boner" or something like that. I couldn't help being a smartass by suggesting that "big ol" is a highly, highly relative term; obviously, what's really big to one person might be regular sized to the next, as a lot of us big guys can attest to in our own experiences.

My question is, how do you think females generally characterize a larger-sized penis than males? What size might be generally agreed upon as big on first impression (visual, let's say), and how might these impressions differ between the sexes?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Welll, I think it's like this:

When I used to drive from N'Awlins to Baton Rouge, which took about an hour, I used to think, "Dang! Some people do this every day! I could never do that. Too long." But that was before I stayed in Texas for awhile (just visiting). Then I'd have to drive between places there, or say, from one side of Houston to another during rush hour traffic, or back n forth from Houston to N'Awlins. So now I think a commute between Baton Rouge and N'Awllins is like a drive around the corner.

What's that have to do with your question? Nuthin and everything.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can't speak to generalizations, because I don't hear enough opinions voiced by women on the subject to make any conclusions.

I will say that I encountered an unusually obnoxious 18 year old who held forth rather proudly on her method of assessing dick size. She was a self proclaimed size queen and expressed frustration with guessing wrong when she bedded a guy who came up lacking in what he was packing. So, she shared her newly devised vetting method with a group of us, dining at a pizzeria.

None of us knew her, except for the woman who accompanied her to the gathering.

She told us that if she was interested in having sex with a guy, she would first engage in petting with him. Then, holding up her hand palm out, she said her hand measures 7 inches from wrist to fingertip. She would slip her hand into his pants, get him hard, and measure him with her hand.

Then she'd decide whether to go any farther based on her hand to dick measuring. She would ditch the guy if he came up short, making some excuse to cut out. There was some disapproval and negative reaction to this, and some questioning as to whether she was being facetious, but she assured us it was for real. She cared naught about the guy's feelings.

Charming — Huh? She seemed to be the type who enjoyed being a bit outrageous to grab everyone's attention.

rope9839

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A couple of angles to this answer:

First, the same sized penis on different sized bodies will look a little different with no other reference. But this sort of requires the penis and body to be viewed from a little bit of distance, to get perspective. More often than not the first encounter with an erection penis is up close. It's size is pretty much standing on its own at that point. This first impression is important.

Second, big and small are within the context of the person's experience. I had sex with a woman in her forties that had only one other partner before me, her her high school sweet heart and husband of 21 years. She flipped when she took my cock out. She told me he was a lot shorter, pointing to a spot on mine well short of my circ scar. To her I was John Holmes. That was fun for a couple of nights.

royston

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
on someone 5ft 7" a girl mite expect- small 4.5"
average 5.5"
large 7"

on someone 6ft a girl mite expect- small 5.5"
average 6.5"
large 7.5"

on someone 6ft 5" a girl mite expect- small 6"
average 7"
large 8.5"

i know this is bullshit but girls know fuck all about willy sizes and most girls think that the actual average is small

hope thats a no nonsense answer dude

x

ChuckRich

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Girls usually seem to think its longer than it is when they see it though. Like they may think 6" is small but when they see a 6er they think it's 8.

Male or female whether someone thinks a particular dick is large is based on sizes they're used to seeing and perspective/angle of how they're looking at it, just like rope said.

Also, the girl with the hand test sounds like a total bitch. And stupid too, you'd think you wouldn't really need to worry about the measurement of your hand. Once you're touching it hard you should be able to tell if it's big or not without needing numbers.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been told by many people something along the lines of, "it must be big if they can't get there fingers around it."

Since my fingers touch, I must not be all that big... but then, not all hands are the same size either.

chrisung

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't resist being reminded of my living in the south when my friends and I would see a "big ol' spider" (a quarter inch long), or a "big ol' truck" (standard size pickup) or...

Then there's simply a "big ol' boner" in contrast to a "lil' ol' softie".

you get the picture.

To respond to the question though - yeah, others have said "big" is a relative term. Relative to your experience and your impression at the time. Seen suddenly in the dark in front of the refrigerator unexpectedly and quickly, you might have a different impression than something you're expecting and grows on you (or him).

ChuckRich

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
IanTheTall said:
I've been told by many people something along the lines of, "it must be big if they can't get there fingers around it."

Since my fingers touch, I must not be all that big... but then, not all hands are the same size either.
I've always been confused by that. Does that mean your fingers wrapping around to the side of your palm or your fingertips meeting your thumb? You'd have to be pretty huge for your fingers to not be able to meet your thumb. Also it changes depending on how close you're holding it to your palm. Like in pictures where it seems to be much more than a handful it's usually because the whole hand isn't wrapped around it.

windtalkerways

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
B.C is right, Dee.

You see your first big one and you
are very impressed.

But you get used to hung as being
the 'norm' and only remember if you
happen to see a less well endowed
member.

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ChuckRich said:
I've always been confused by that. Does that mean your fingers wrapping around to the side of your palm or your fingertips meeting your thumb? You'd have to be pretty huge for your fingers to not be able to meet your thumb. Also it changes depending on how close you're holding it to your palm. Like in pictures where it seems to be much more than a handful it's usually because the whole hand isn't wrapped around it.
My hands easily wrap around mine as well, not to the palm though. Clearly I have a very thin penis... More accurately, my hand is 10 inches across and just over 8 inches from fingertip to the bottom of my palm. I think however, that it is generally safe to say that if your partner can't get their hand around it it's big relative to them - or at least thick.

Being from the south I hear an awful lot of "big ol'" expressions, too. My hands are big even for my family, my feet are about the same size as all the other males in my generation (the four of us on my dad's side of the family are all between 6'2" and 6'3" and wear size 12 - 14), my height is average for my family with several males my height and an equal number of taller and shorter males, but most people thing I'm (and we're) a (bunch of) giant(s). (I love parenthetical statements.) I, conversely, think that people of average height are incredibly short and people who are actually short are... probably girls I've dated. :tongue:

The point is unless there is a set standard for the size of everything in the world and people learn to accurately measure things at a glance, people will always use expressions that mean completely different things to different people.

BJT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
royston said:
on someone 5ft 7" a girl mite expect- small 4.5"
average 5.5"
large 7"

on someone 6ft a girl mite expect- small 5.5"
average 6.5"
large 7.5"

on someone 6ft 5" a girl mite expect- small 6"
average 7"
large 8.5"

i know this is bullshit but girls know fuck all about willy sizes and most girls think that the actual average is small

hope thats a no nonsense answer dude

x

I think this is the right idea here. I am short 5'5" so at 6 inches my dick looks big although its average. If I were 6' or more it might not look as big in comparison. I think it has a lot to do with what there is to compare it to and that regard yay for being short :)

Porterhouse

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
ChuckRich said:
Girls usually seem to think its longer than it is when they see it though. Like they may think 6" is small but when they see a 6er they think it's 8.

Yep, I am not even 8 inches but I have had a girl say that there was no way I was not 9". I do not know if it is from lack of expirence or just being lied to but many woman just are lost in regards to size. (at least in tends to be in our favour)

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
Men have been lying to women for centuries about how big their cocks are. If a guy tells a woman he has 9 inches and really has 7, she may latch onto that number since it looks large.

Another thing that straight men don't realize: cocks look much bigger when they are about to be stuck into you. A nice 7 inches looks pretty damn big when I'm going to get fucked by it. It's easy to overestimate in that situation unless you are a truly seasoned size queen.

Yes, body type is the clincher. I'm 5'10 and very muscular so my size looks much smaller on my body than if I were say...heroin chic. Most women I speak to are experienced enough to know that the size of the guy doesn't equal the size of the cock. They still can't estimate size for shit.