Size problem.

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by josh92, Oct 28, 2010.

1. josh92

josh92 Member

Albums:
    Okay, so I'm slightly overweight and tend to have a problem whenever I go buy clothes. If I try on an 'L' shirt, it's too tight but if I try an XL shirt it seems too baggy and sometimes makes me look bigger than I am. So does anyone else have this problem? Is there a specific cut I should be getting?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. mmjr

mmjr Member

Get an XL with tapered waist and it will solve that problem. I have big shoulders and have to have the shoulder room of an XL. Tapered waist shirts arnt hard to find but may cost more.

3. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Get thee on a better diet and to a gym.:wink:

4. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

Well, duh:rolleyes:... But in the mean time (as he is getting in shape) I am sure he would like clothes that flatter him as best as possible:wink: I just had to try on various ones till stumbled upon hte right fit. As I loose weight/get in shape, I find that having well fitted clothes keep me motivated. You may not bee trying to at all, may be pleased with you body as is, but I can definately understand the desire to look one's best, or in the very least, not like a total shlub.:smile:

5. LambHair McNeil

You might have to try multiple clothing outlets until you find a mfr or two that matches your physique. As we all know when trying on shoes, a 13 in one line can be a 14 in another and possibly a 15 in yet a 3rd maker, let alone the widths. The same can hold true for shirts.

I always recommend taking women along with you when you shop. They have that critical eye on overall look and color coordination that most guys are born without. What you might think is baggy may be, in their eyes, flattering in some cases.

6. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hit the gym and exercise some portion control and you will be surprised how quickly you will lose weight. Last August I was bouncing around a puffy 230-240, now I'm a very fit 170. Went from XL to Medium slim fit. Easy.

7. B_Nicodemous

B_Nicodemous New Member

*Sigh*. I am sure he already knows that. Any of us who are, or have been heavy know this basic truth. Whether or not we do anything about it is another story. I heartily recommend trying to lose the excess weight and get in better shape, not for any stupid "this is what sexy looks like" but for the health factor of it. I personally like guys with extra padding:wink:. I really like those who are muscular with a layer of pudge over it:biggrin1:. For myself I prefer to be as fit as I can, mostly because high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease run in my family, and, really, why increase those odds.

So I am in no way dismissing or trivializing your or a few others point of views. They are valid as far as they go health wise. However the OP question wasn't "how can I lose weight, get in shape" but, how can I look good (regardless of if I am losing weight or not." To that end I and others have suggested the other obvious thing; try on multitudes of clothes. A big and tall clothes store will have more cuts f clothes for a larger range of sizes that don't fall under the conventional. They tend to cost more, so be warned.:frown1:

Forgive me for veering possibly off topic: I will restate that even if he starts an exercise/diet regimen (healthy food choices, portion control, cardio and strength training) he still should invest in clothes that flatter him as much as possible to motivate him towards his goal. This is especially important as he loses weight to get positive feedback (properly fitted clothes tend to show off where you are and how far you have come) which can then be a motivational factor in his overall success. For me, feeling like a shlub, and looking heavier than I was, only bummed me out and contributed to the whole "well, why should I give a fuck" mentality that I had. Proper clothes, that flatter one's form whatever that may be at the time) will garner some compliments, which, again for me, were the carrot in front of the cart (especially when I hit a plateau), because even though I am doing it for myself (health benefits) lets face it, those are more abstract then a concrete "hey! YouÂ’re looking good!":wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted