Sizes, Science And Liars

zeropointthree

Expert Member
Media
Cologne (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here we go!)

Lately I have been exploring on the Internet the actual knowledge that we have about dick sizes, probably as a way to self-assure myself (who cares what the people say, if the data says I am BIG? :D). I found several interesting things, one of them this forum itself. But I want to point the attention into a page that collects data from scientific studies and gives you a way to calculate where you are in comparison (which percentage of people have your size or bigger).

I am sure that many already know this web, and that probably was posted here before, but in any case, here is the link (have fun with it)

You can read how the calculations are done and which kind of data is included, and being myself a scientist I can say the methodology is, at least, fair enough.

Well, the point is that, although I knew that I was big I wasn't expecting to be in such a high percentile: I am 20 cm length bone-pressed, little less than 8", meaning that 3 out 10 000 people are as big as I am (or that I am in the upper 99.97 percentile). Could be that the data is a little bit flawed, but worse case scenario that size belongs to the >99.5%, given the data.

That was very surprising, because it is really common to read about people saying they are twenty-something or so, so I that made me wonder: why do the people lie that much, particularly on the internet where everyone is more or less anonymous and there is no need to prove anything to anyone?

I understand men feeling insecure and adding one or two centimeters because of why not, but first, people with already big dicks also lie so openly and frequently? Knowing that they are big does still not give enough self-confidence? Or do people lie tremendously, just saying huge numbers in a attempt of getting some attention? Is maybe this people lying to themselves? Did you ever lied about your size?

PS. My point is not to brag, I am honestly wondering about these things :)

Reactions: wronskjan

wronskjan

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, you can found a lot of big/huge penis photo on internet, so it looks that this od not very rare. But probably these guys are much more willing to share them than small guys. There is also a question, about statistics, who was measured? If this population is representative enough. I need to take a closer look at these data.

zeropointthree

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
7 inches on the internet is almost always 6 inches in real life.
That is sure. But the data makes me think that many guys say sizes completely unrelated to the reality, like "I am going to say something that sounds huge" and that's it. And I found that interesting... I guess they expect they will recieve some attention because, as Even pointed out, they think that size actually matters.

zeropointthree

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, you can found a lot of big/huge penis photo on internet, so it looks that this od not very rare. But probably these guys are much more willing to share them than small guys. There is also a question, about statistics, who was measured? If this population is representative enough. I need to take a closer look at these data.

The data seems to be fair enough, probably it is not perfect, but it should give quite a good idea on the size distribution (% of guys with this or that size). In the website they explained how they did select the sources, and all those are properly cited.

Reactions: wronskjan
D

deleted1074483

probably part of it is the fact that the internet is anonymous and people can say anything they want to about themselves, which then added to the number of other people exaggerating their sizes leads to 'internet inflation' and everyone looking at pix and going 'well i'm bigger than that' so then have to say a size thats bigger.

basically don't believe everything on the internet!!

It is also possibly related to how guys see themselves, what they put importance on, what makes them feel better about themselves, a self confidence thing or any of the above.

I think its only really a problem for those guys who do seriously have mental health concerns/ body dysmorphia issues which can be about penis size as well as general appearance stuff, and who take this stuff seriously comparing themselves to this rather than believing what the wonderful gals and others on this site and in general seem to say, which is size doesn't matter so much as how you use what you've got and how you treat your partner?

Even on this site so many people simply won't believe that the world wide average sized guy is around 5-5.5 x4.5 inches as many many surveys and periodicals confirm.

As someone who came out as gay way before the internet existed and without that 'peer' pressure, my penis size is not something i've ever been particularly concerned by - i like what i have and fortunately for me so have all my partners:)

Renegade83

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
There will be a study out there where a doctor/professional took the measurements. I can't believe that every study on penis size was just by participant self-submission.

But it does beg the question as to how much results are skewed; I can't imagine every smaller guys would want to have their measurements recorded.

zeropointthree

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Additionally, to make this average more representative of the general adult population, we have excluded
  • Many nonrandom samples with potential size biases (such as those gathering individuals complaining of small penis)
  • Samples with appreciable proportions of underaged/undeveloped individuals
  • Studies that do not provide mean, SD, and adequate sample size
  • Data from incompatible measuring techniques
  • Data that is self-reported or otherwise unreliable
Currently, the average includes a total of 55 studies

Checking directly to some sources, it seems that always a reasearcher took the measurments, and in most cases the erection was induced via stimulants (so the guy didn't need to actually be horny while a weird scientist touched his dick! xD).

Also many studies where related with people with erectile disfunction, so even if it was necesary to volunteer, the sample was more or less random. That could represent some bias, of course, but at least they avoided to include studies that are obviously biased.