Skin Bleaching

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Andreas Sukov, Dec 26, 2009.

1. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

do people still do this? im putting this in this forum because i see this as descrimination. from what ive seen in some Black women's magazines adverts for creams to make the skin whiter. why is this still around? is there a pressure on black women to have lighter skin? does this pressure come from just white people or from both sides?

2. ThickPup

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I wonder what this cream really is that you're speaking of.
    The only thing I've ever heard of is depigmentation. This is
    something someone with vitiligo would use that has 50% or more
    loss of overall pigmentation on their body. It's not something that would
    be handed out to anyone. I read about this awhile back. I'm by no means an expert, just something I read in a medical paper.

Again, I'm not sure what products you're referring to.

3. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

4. FatHiptedMama

FatHiptedMama New Member

I've heard that in Asia that lighter skin is desireable on women. I once dated a guy from India who unabashadely said women with lighter skin were considered prettier in his culture. I've also heard that women in south Asia have been disfigured from lightening creams with toxic ingredients. I've also heard that in Africa, some cultures there seem to desire paler women (but not necessarily as pale as white women)
    Being a very pale white woman in America I found this very mind boggeling. Here white women are risking skin cancer to get darker. I've been told that I looked pale and sickly and should get a tan. (BTW not all white people can acquire a tan, and just because some of us can doesn't mean we should. Skin cancer is a very real risk for white people who tan, but it's your body do what you want, and no, no tanning beds are not safe).

Basically in a nutshell, it seems that as a woman, whatever you are and wherever you are, you should be something different to be attractive. If you have curly hair you need straight hair, if you have straight hair you need curly hair, if you are too skinny you need curves, if you got curves you need to lose weight, if you are too light you need to be darker, if you are too dark you need to be lighter, if you dress to modestly you need to stop being such a grandma, if you dress to revealingly you need to cover up slut, etc.

I say FUCK THAT! I wish more women would join me with that sentiment.

5. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    I'm not getting into the whole light-skinned vs dark skinned arguement in the black community. Too much anger, too much stress and we'd be here all day.

6. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    some ppl use those products to even out their complexions...to get rid of dark spots...

7. Man-thango

Man-thango Member

Thank goodness I'm just a paper bag.

8. lokican

lokican Member

I dunno if I would call it discrimination per se I mean a lot of white people try to tan and make their skin a couple of shades lighter. Also if a person of color tries to make their skin lighter, its not like they will look like they are white like Micheal Jackson did, they will still be seen as a person of color, That said I am a white guy, so I have to admit this is something I don't expierence.no?

9. avatarng

Lighter skin in Asia mean that you are born in the upper class and more wealthy. (don't have to work outside much). When I was traveling in Asias and I did noticed a lot of skin cream commercials that promised you to have a whiter skin.

10. nowayzomg

nowayzomg Member

Albums:
    I watched a segment on Current TV about it in Jamaica I think. Not only women did it, but the men too, and kids as young as 13-14. They simply said it was perceived as prettier having lighter skin.

One woman in her 40s had done it for years, in spite of warnings from her doctor. Her face had started to get really damaged from it. What was really disturbing was how she was not only letting, but also encouraging her teenage daughter to do the same.

11. SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl Member

I would be a fool to try and erase all this chocolateness. Skin bleaching is crazy.

12. ConstantComment

ConstantComment New Member

I have read that these bleaching creams can do more damage than constant sun tanning. But sadly, I guess, these magazines need a source of revenue and they take these ads. Just like I'm sure, most magazines would probably take cigarette ads if they could. Back when I used to watch TV, I noticed the Africa report segment on CNN was also supported by some brand of bleaching cream. So there you go.

Like another poster said, the light skinned vs dark skinned black american still rages on. Just see Spike Lee's School Daze, that's what it was like to be on a black campus. (I know because I studied at one.)

13. Heads_Up

Heads_Up New Member

I have from some friends from Thailand and I spoke tithe women about it because I guess being light skinned is beauty for them. I also asked the guys and they told me the same thing. Lighter skin is beauty. Darker skin means that you're out working on the field or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted