Skin care

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Over the past year or so I've been using a new face scrub during my daily shower/shave. My skin has never looked or felt better. However, I'm having difficulty finding a shaving cream that I like. I'm currently using a couple of the Edge brand non-lathering creams that work pretty nicely, but am looking for suggestions from others.

Oh, btw, the face scrub is by Nickel and I also occasionally use the Neutrogena face scrub as well.

What do you use and would you recommend it?

apollo

Expert Member
Media
I like the shave cream and aftershave balm from Aveda. I have really weird skin and if I use the Edge or products like that it looks like I shaved my face with a cheese grater. The stuff from Aveda really works well and it about the only thing I can use. It's a little more expensive but it lasts a long time.

D_Cliebert_Chodechoker

Experimental Member
Media
as far as shave cream i just use like gillette. I dont think its the kind of cream you use as much as how u shave. Try shaving with the grain of your hair, u wont really get a close shave, but it will be close enough, and u should not get any red bumps this way.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Using a facial scrub every day isn't necessarily a good idea, the skin has a protective layer formed by oils, amino acids and other stuff, using a facial scrub removes this.

Young Pumper

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For shaving, I use an electric razor with no product at all. I have fine facial hair, so electric razors aren't a problem for me. I do have a manual razor that I have for touch ups (ie, sideburns) and just wet the lubrication strip just above the razor blade.
This method is assisted by the fact that I have a good (sadly expensive) facial cleanser that contains glycolic acid, which helps exfoliate. (Mild chemical exfoliation provides a safer, even exfoliation, where as sand/apricot kernal scrubs can actually do more damage.)
Following with a good moisturiser also helps reduce redness, irritation and that 'cheese grater' look. I use L'oreal Men Expert Pure & Matte Moisturiser to also help minimise shiny, oily looking skin.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
I think all of us men have our own unique "regimens". And, they won't work for everyone! But, we learn from reading about them.

I shave with an electric razor for the most part and yes, "trim" with a regular razor and shave cream only when I absolutely have to. I'm fortunate to be able to "skip" a daily shave now (with a more casual work environment) and I can get by with a little "shadow look" through a good bit of the week.:smile: I typically reserve a "close shave" for only those important business meetings, special occasions, or when attending church. Skipping that daily shave? ...has HELPED my face, I do believe.
Keeping my razor clean, and replacing dull blades AND electric razor screens! has ALSO improved my facial skin's health! (i.e. LESS irritation, rashes and "nicks".) Those screens DO wear out; get little holes in them and (then) the exposed razor blades CUT you. --OUCH!

And, (for me, anyway)...I've stopped using ANY soap on my face...period. ONLY warm water.

Following my shave and just after a shower, what I DO faithfully use daily is baby oil (enriched with aloe and Vitamin E). I simply pour a very small amount into the palm of my hand, work it around abit with the fingers of my other hand and then apply the oil to my face (especially the cheeks) and gently massage it in. Then, I pat off the excess with tissue. My face is not left greasy or too shiny!

I started using baby oil during the sunbathing season several years ago and liked the "bronzy quality" it gave my tan results. With the daily baby oil, I'm finding my skin is remaining quite supple and seems much healthier over all year-round.

I don't notice ANY "dryness" to my (facial) skin like I had when using soap.

I believe men are becoming more conscious of "good skin care" and it's long overdue. We all need to pay more attention to it, especially as we get older. We really can and do take our skin's health for granted.